shape
carat
color
clarity

Comments on this diamond I found

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have been looking for a diamond for a while and I really like the H&A diamonds but I can''t really go over $5000 for the whole ring. I found this diamond at good old gold and since there are many people on this forum that rave about them I am almost ready to take the plunge.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_90ct_i_vs1_h%26a1.htm

I would love some comments on this diamond though, it is about the best H&A I can afford. It scores about a 1.2 on the cut advisor and I think the I color will be white enough and if not I can always upgrade later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance.
1.gif

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it looks like a stunner to me! And I wouldn''t worry about the I color, with all the light that baby will throw off, you won''t be able to see much color in the stone!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think I is fine given cut and size...

and there''s also this F on the list

LINK

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The stone itself is beautiful.

My thoughts: I personally feel that VS1 isn't worth the premium when there are VS2 stones and many SI1 stones that are completely eyeclean. Such stones would offer you the ability to go up in size or in color. However, that's strictly my personal preference, and yours may not be the same.
2.gif

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 10:46:02 AM
Author: aljdewey
The stone itself is beautiful.

My thoughts: I personally feel that VS1 isn''t worth the premium when there are VS2 stones and many SI1 stones that are completely eyeclean. Such stones would offer you the ability to go up in size or in color. However, that''s strictly my personal preference, and yours may not be the same.
2.gif
Thanks everyone for the quick responses, much appreciated as buying a diamond is a little stressful. I completly agree aljdewey and would be willing to get a VS1 or an eyeclean SI1, but it is very hard to find H&A diamonds so far and the other ones on the good old gold site are a little more expensive ie

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_91ct_h_vs2_h%26a.htm

and the only other one they have that is about the same prive is an SI2 G color H&A, and I don''t feel comfortable getting an SI2. Whiteflash is also a great site but it looks like all the H&A''s under $5k have been bought up for the holiday season. The one valeria101 listed above looks very nice, but it doesn''t say it is an H&A and its a little more. Plus unfortunately Whiteflash doesn''t offer a whitegold band that I have been able to find and the platinum is a little more than I can afford.

Also, what I like about this diamond is that the few inclusions on the edge can be hidden by a prong when set.
2.gif

Thanks again for all the help, this forum is really an invaluable tool for us diamond shopping newbies
1.gif

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 11:12:31 AM
Author: JDgirl
If you''re interested in going a little bigger, WF has this beauty...

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-608470.htm#

It''s a J, VS2, H&A, and has a great spread for the weight! Would be quite a bit under 5k with the PS discount.
LOL thanks for showing me that one JDgirl, but now I''m confused
2.gif
... should I choose that one with a little worse clarity (but the inclusions can still be hidden by prongs) and color, but bigger and a little better cut, or go with the other one? Will I vs J color make that much of a difference?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again JDgirl for pointing that one out, I hadn''t seen it and now I feel like I have more choices.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
You're not going to see much of a difference at all between an I and a J, especially when dealing with such great cuts. There is a thread of people who have J colored stones set in white metals on here, and they are gorgeous!

As for clarity, you're not going to have to worry about hiding things under prongs with either a VS1 or VS2 stone. Neither will have eye-visable inclusions. If it were me, I'd take the bigger one, no question!

What were you thinking for a setting?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 11:40:35 AM
Author: schowtyme

It''s a J, VS2, H&A, and has a great spread for the weight! Would be quite a bit under 5k with the PS discount.
2.gif
... should I choose that one with a little worse clarity (but the inclusions can still be hidden by prongs) and color, but bigger and a little better cut, or go with the other one? Will I vs J color make that much of a difference?
Schowtyme, the VS2 is just a label....if you were to stare at the stone, it''s unlikely you would even be able to find the inclusions, nevermind need to worry about hiding them. You don''t have to "hide" what you can''t see.
2.gif

Face up and mounted, no, I don''t think you''ll see a difference between the I and the J, but I think you will see a BIG difference between 6.23mm and 6.66 mm! I own a J-colored ACA, and when I put it up against other ACA''s (H, I stones) during my trip to TX, I couldn''t see a difference.

I personally prefer the J stone and feel it gives more bang for the buck. But again, that''s based on my personal preferences, and you need to take your comfort level and preferences into account.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 11:46:13 AM
You''re not going to see much of a difference at all between an I and a J, especially when dealing with such great cuts. There is a thread of people who have J colored stones set in white metals on here in the SMTR section, and they are gorgeous!

As for clarity, you''re not going to have to worry about hiding things under prongs with either a VS1 or VS2 stone. Neither will have eye-visable inclusions. If it were me, I''d take the bigger one, no question!

What were you thinking for a setting?
I think you might have changed my mind JDgirl
2.gif
I was thinking a simple 6 prong tiffany setting because we could always change the setting later when I get some more money and I was more concerned about getting a nice diamond. I think I''ll give whiteflash a call and see if they can email me some pictures of the H&A cut under the scope and maybe go with that one. I like the idea of having a 1ct diamond and it does look very nice...

If I go with whiteflash though I will have to get the platinum setting, I really wished they offered a whitegold band, but oh well, people seem to love platinum...

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 11:53:36 AM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 12/14/2005 11:40:35 AM

2.gif
Schowtyme, the VS2 is just a label....if you were to stare at the stone, it''s unlikely you would even be able to find the inclusions, nevermind need to worry about hiding them. You don''t have to ''hide'' what you can''t see.
2.gif

Face up and mounted, no, I don''t think you''ll see a difference between the I and the J, but I think you will see a BIG difference between 6.23mm and 6.66 mm! I own a J-colored ACA, and when I put it up against other ACA''s (H, I stones) during my trip to TX, I couldn''t see a difference.

I personally prefer the J stone and feel it gives more bang for the buck. But again, that''s based on my personal preferences, and you need to take your comfort level and preferences into account.

That''s a good point aljdewey, I never really thought of it like that but you''re right I won''t see any of those little inclusions so why worry eh?
3.gif
About the color thing, thanks for sharing your personal experience in that area, I have none to rely on so that really helps me. Plus I guess the J is still technically "near colorless" and those pictures of J colored diamonds in the other forum really look great on a white metal background. I''ll go give Whiteflash a call right now, thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Ok, I did it! Will be here this weekend or next week. Thanks again everyone, I''ll post a picture when it gets here.
1.gif

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Definitely post pictures when you get it!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great, congratulations!!! It will be awesome. Don''t foget to post pics!!!!
36.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 12:45:04 PM
Ok, I did it! Will be here this weekend or next week. Thanks again everyone, I''ll post a picture when it gets here.
1.gif
Good heavens, I don''t think I could survive a pic of it in person. That IS was enough to make a girl swoon.
31.gif
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! congrats on picking a stunner.

shay

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH YEAH!
31.gif
Ya'' done good!
2.gif

And don''t you worry about that J color, ya'' hear?! You are gonna do BACK FLIPS when you see that beauty!
30.gif

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Great!

I can''t wait to see it!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I came to this thread late, but I''m happy to read that you chose that ACA diamond. It''s going to be a stunner!

If you like white gold over platinum, ask for it! I''m sure WF can make it for you!

Looking forward to the pics!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm late here but I'm a J-owner and love it...mine is a 1.60c and it's lovely. I am a total convert, I started out with a G and then an H and now a J. My next upgrade will be a J too!

From a self-professed size whore, the bigger the better as long as it's eye-clean and facese up white!! Shrinkage sets in eventually.
2.gif
Congrats, can't wait to see pictures.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Well, here''s what happened... I called up Whiteflash and bought the diamond over the phone with a very nice lady there. While we were talking she said she had to turn off the internet page so that nobody else could buy it because that had actually happened to her in the past. So we go through the whole process and I hang up happy and get my order confirmation and then yesterday she calls back and leaves an urgent message. Well I called her back and I''m sure everyone can see where this is going... she received an email from somewhere that the diamond had been sold while I was one the phone with her LOL! She was really sorry and was very nice about finding me another diamond. So yesterday a new H&A diamond popped up and I called her right away (I''m planning on proposing soon) even though none of the reports have been posted yet. It is also an H&A ideal cut (1.3 on the cut tool) and it is a tiny bit smaller (.998 vs 1.05) but it is an I color and a VS1 (both one step up).

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2173443.htm

The great thing is they gave me a bigger discount to make up for the other diamond and it ends up being about the same price!
1.gif
So after all of this I get an even nicer diamond that I otherwise would not have been able to afford (although a tiny bit smaller) for about the same price. The moral of this story, if someone else buys your diamond at Whiteflash they go out of their way to make you happy (so hope someone buys yours
3.gif
)

I''ll post plenty of pictures when it gets here, which I think will be sometime next week. Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and technical knowledge, this forum is filled with a bunch of nice people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results