shape
carat
color
clarity

Comments on 1.40 J VS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pattjin

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I just found this site a week or so ago, it''s been a great resource.

I found this stone at a local retailer (funny, it''s listed on BN also...the GIA certificate # matches). It looks very clean, the inclusion is very tiny on the side, so I think it will be under the prong anyways. I''m looking to put it into a 6 prong with about 3-4 channel-set diamonds on either side, about 0.42 total weight for the side diamonds. The price I''m getting is about 10% less than what BN is offering it for.

I also looked at a 1.07 G/VS2/VG, 1.12 G/VS2/VG, 1.50 D/VS1/Id, 1.33H/VS2/VG and all of them look satisfactory to me, color-wise and cut-wise. I didn''t see it worth spending 50% more for a better color.

It''s a 1.4 Carat Round diamond
Cut Very Good
Depth 58.7
Table 59
Girdle Thin to Medium
Cutlet None
Finish excellent polish, excellent symmetry
Clarity VS2
Color J
Flourescence Faint
GIA14337108_zoom.jpeg
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00406164

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's hard to say much about the stone...you need to get a Sarin report and ideally a Idealscope picture or something....

The specs are not exactly what I look for...I already did the larger table than depth thing and it's not my cup of tea for an e-ring stone...but some people swear by 60/60 stones which this is somewhat close to.

Does the stone look fabulous in person? If so, then your answer is really right there already for you.

The EXEX is promising as is the diameter which is very nice and maybe a bit larger than the average 1.4c...but I would still ask for a Sarin. This could be a winner, or it could end up being not so great. If you really want to know more, ask for a Sarin. Or else just use your eye and buy from there. Good luck!

ETA: I have an ideal cut J stone and adore it... so I am not worried at all about the color or clarity, but the cut may be up for discussion!

pattjin

Rough_Rock
I looked under the proportion scope thing (It was on a HoF display) and it looks pretty decent, I think one or two of the hearts on the bottom are a little thin, but overall it looks pretty good. The arrows on top look great.

The dealer I went to has a machine called a ISee2...it seems to give a "shinyness" number from 1-10 based on scintillation, and two other things I can't remember. I forgot to ask to try that machine out.

I'm pretty happy with the stone, seems like a good deal, around $6800. The only thing is that this store doesn't have the setting I want, but I can bring it over, they'll set it for me.

We're not too picky, as far as I can tell, all of the diamonds shimmer just as nicely
3.gif

Even if the cut isn't as ideal as a 1.07ct, I think the .33ct extra makes up for it...
1.gif

Should BN or the store be able to produce a Sarin report for me?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BN should be able to get a Sarin, the store can if they have a Sarin machine but maybe not.

All diamonds don''t shimmer or sparkle the same. Ask to see the stone and the ideal cut stone outside in natural light. Or candelight. Or basically away from the jewelry store lighting, that makes almost all diamonds look the same which is usually not the case.

If they look good in natural lightin gor other lighting circumstances and you can''t tell the difference, fabulous. Get the 1.4c.

It''s also good that you saw a clear pattern of the H&A, even if they aren''t perfect, that does help.

Ask them to run the stone on the ISee2.

Try to get a Sarin!

pattjin

Rough_Rock
is it odd that the exact same diamond is listed on BlueNile? Does BN sell the diamond online and tells the store to ship it out? Did the store buy it from BN and they haven''t taken it off their site yet?

The GIA number matches and everything is the same. I saw the original GIA certificate, although, I didn''t see the inscription, I figure I''d check when I actually went to pay for it.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I think Neil''s article will help you with the background on this.

Regards,

pattjin

Rough_Rock
The ISee2 was 6.5/10 which I suppose sounds low, but visually, it still looks good to me, and I suppose that''s what counts the most. We took it outside and compared it with a HoF 1.5 H color and I could barely make out a difference, definitely not a $14+K difference. (also looked at it under office lighting as well)

The Scintallation and Symmetry bars were around the 3.5 range, it just had a lowish brilliance (I think around 2).

I decided to go with it... hopefully it''s not too large. (I know for some people, it can never be too large)
1.gif

The other thing is that the diamond is not inscribed, but the sales person assured me that they would run it through the measuring machine and microscope to compare the inclusions on the certificate with the actual diamond to make sure that I am getting the actual piece. Anything I should watch out for? (I''m going on vacation, so the jeweler has agreed to hold on to it for me, and also, they are waiting for the original GIA certificate)

Thanks!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2005 3:01:37 AM
Author: pattycake

...I decided to go with it... hopefully it''s not too large.
1.gif
... LOL! Too funny, patty!
2.gif
You''re right, around here it''s almost NEVER "too large"! (which is NOT always a GOOD thing! haha!) But seriously, I think it''s a great size! Plus you have seen the stone and love it.
30.gif
That''s all that matters! Congratulations. And don''t forget to post pictures when you''re all done. We love the eye-candy!

Lynn

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your decision! It sounds like a lovely stone, and it will actually look bigger than 1.4 with that depth (more like a 1.5 carat stone!).

I wonder what will happen with Blue Nile once you have the stone. Will they call you up if someone wants to buy it? J/K, I am sure it will be removed from their site.

:)

pattjin

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for you help, I can''t wait to have it mounted! I will probably have the loose diamond since I wanted to get it looked at before mounting and after. I''ve made an appt. with Nancy Stacy, kind of far, but she seems highly recommended. I''ll definitely post pics when I get it.

I''m having the ring modified as well, and a vacation in between, so hopefully everything will be wrapped up by the end of the month.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved Nancy, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results