shape
carat
color
clarity

Comfortable Hiking Shoe Suggestions, pls.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I caught the hiking bug over in the Weekly Workout Thread and from doing lots of hiking on my trip.
Hubby and I went hiking today and my tennis shoes didn't have lots of traction (I kept slipping).
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on lightweight, comfy hiking shoes???
We have so many great trails where I live w/about 12% incline in case the info is need to help me (not sure).
Also, there are no muddy paths and I will not be carrying a heavy backpack while hiking.
Thanks so much
3.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
LLBean makes some pretty good lightweight hiking shoes. They also sell Merrell''s which are great shoes!

If you''re not comfortable buying online try REI. They even have a mini slope to walk up and down to see how the shoes do on a grade. Just, whatever you do, don''t go on a weekend! The Abq place gets seriously nuts!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 5:50:01 PM
Author: IndieJones
LLBean makes some pretty good lightweight hiking shoes. They also sell Merrell's which are great shoes!

If you're not comfortable buying online try REI. They even have a mini slope to walk up and down to see how the shoes do on a grade. Just, whatever you do, don't go on a weekend! The Abq place gets seriously nuts!
Fellow New Mexican, thanks! I will go check out REI.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 5:31:17 PM
Author:Skippy123
Hi,
I caught the hiking bug over in the Weekly Workout Thread and from doing lots of hiking on my trip.
Hubby and I went hiking today and my tennis shoes didn''t have lots of traction (I kept slipping).
We have so many great trails where I live w/about 12% incline in case the info is need to help me (not sure).
Also, there are no muddy paths and I will not be carrying a heavy backpack while hiking.
Thanks so much
3.gif
Hi Skippy! This brand, Keen, makes hiking shoes, boots, and sandals that are extremely light weight and comfy, IMO. They are great too for going out on boats and wading through rocky streams because not only do they have good traction even when wet, they dry quickly too. I think REI sells them. If you order, I think you order a half size up in women''s sizes to ensure a good fit. HTH!
2.gif

Keens at Zappos

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 7:58:57 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

Date: 6/24/2007 5:31:17 PM
Author:Skippy123
Hi,
Hubby and I went hiking today and my tennis shoes didn''t have lots of traction (I kept slipping).
Thanks so much
3.gif
Hi Skippy! This brand, Keen, makes hiking shoes, boots, and sandals that are extremely light weight and comfy, IMO. They are great too for going out on boats and wading through rocky streams because not only do they have good traction even when wet, they dry quickly too. I think REI sells them. If you order, I think you order a half size up in women''s sizes to ensure a good fit. HTH!
2.gif

Keens at Zappos

Ooooooo, I like the Keen Arroyo II. Tomorrow I well go to REI to check them out. Thanks
35.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, REI is the place to go! I got a pair of Merrells there and love them! My DH also swears by them.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all you suggestions. Since REI is about a 20 min drive from me and I am sure the sales associates probably have done or know of the hikes I am doing then they probably can give me insight to the best shoes for me. I like your REI suggestions. Thanks BarbM for your post; maybe if I do harder hikes I can get those!

Harriet, you are not going to help me w/my hiking shoe selection
33.gif
I am just teasing. I haven't talked to you lately. I hope you are feeling better; I kept you in my thoughts
12.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 10:58:09 AM
Author: Skippy123
Thanks for all you suggestions. Since REI is about a 20 min drive from me and I am sure the sales associates probably have done or know of the hikes I am doing then they probably can give me insight to the best shoes for me. I like your REI suggestions. Thanks BarbM for your post; maybe if I do harder hikes I can get those!

Harriet, you are not going to help me w/my hiking shoe selection
33.gif
I am just teasing. I haven''t talked to you lately. I hope you are feeling better; I kept you in my thoughts
12.gif
Thank you!
21.gif
I''m hanging in there. As for hiking shoes, you''re talking to an indoors girl.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 2:46:20 PM
Author: Harriet
Thank you!
21.gif
I''m hanging in there. As for hiking shoes, you''re talking to an indoors girl.
9.gif

I knew that. I am just hoping to convert you.
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll 'fess up. I'm afraid of slopes.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what kind of hiking you are doing.

Based on your comments I''d suggest an advanced tennis type shoe with a hiking sole.

Many companies make these. It it worth making sure that they have some impact cusioning, which typically means that these cost more than $70.00.

I just ordered a $95 pair from Addias (as none of the local stores had my size - a 12).

I also have a pair of hiking boots that essentially meets Storms description above, that cost a lot more. For the heavy stuff I use them.

The hiking style tennis shoes will be my mormal run arround shoes so that I''m free to do light trail hiking and excursions on a whim.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
also be sure and carry water and a first aid kit with you always, even for a short hike.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends!
I have the best news. Thanks for all the REI suggestions.
35.gif

I went into REI today and found some Vasque's after discussing and trying on a few other shoes. The great thing is the guy who was helping me hiked the trails I hike so he knew what shoes were good for me. The best part of our conversation was that he said if I hiked a few times and hated the shoes I could return and get my money back. Then at the register I told the sales guy about returning them if I didn't like them (just in case it wasn't true) and he said absolutely!!! What a great policy!

Here is what my boots/shoes look like http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/24579658/c/57219.html
9.gif

p.s. I want to try and hike the Grand Canyon this Sept.
31.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bingo. That''s what I was talking about.

REI is a great place; unfortunately there is not one near me.

Since I don''t do a lot of outdoor stuff (like I used to) I let my REI member number expire.

However, 15 years ago I was spending $$$$ per year at REI due to everything I was involved with - and did not mind driving many hours to get to the one in the Twin Cities (when i lived in central Wisconsin)..

Have fun with the shoes; Vasque is a great brand and I have had heavy duty Vasque hiking boots for about 35 years. But never any of the lighter tennis shoe styles.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results