shape
carat
color
clarity

comfort fit dilemna

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
excuse the typo above, I meant "Dilemma"

I just came back from a jeweler who told me that for comfort fit you would normally order a half size smaller than you would typically wear.

I normally wear a 4.5 but it slides off with no tugging at all, extremely easily - but I have always found that comfortable, but never had a ring with a very big stone before. Many people have now warned me that i should go slightly smaller because the diamond will be top heavy and will be falling over if it's not tighter than that.

It finally sunk in that I needed to go a little smaller so I decided I would go with a 4.25, big step for me, because I am extremely terrified that I might go too small.

well now the Jeweler I just went with said she recommends strongly that i got with a size 4 because the comfort fit styles are different and generally speaking because of the way they fit she always recommends half a size smaller.

I am scared to go to a 4 !! I can get a 4 on without a problem, but i really have to tug hard to get it off... and what happens in the summer, or in the morning when my hands are swollen... will my poor finger turn blue from lack of circulation!! hehe just kidding here, but I am a bit paranoid about this.

Your advice is appreciated... thanks

Has anyone heard of this advice for "comfort fit". Also, the ring I am looking at now is very thin 2mm and is an A. Jaffe.

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey tl, i can totally understand your hesitation, however i think the jeweler may be right on this one. it sounds like 4.5 is too big..and the 4.25 is more what you would normally wear. that being said, the comfort fit bands are sized differently, and i don''t think you will have a problem going with the 4 (even in the summer!)
for further reassurance, you shouldn''t be able to "slide" your ring off (don''t want to loose that rock!!) you should have to manuever it somewhat. and don''t worry, even with it fitting a little more snug, there will still be room for that summertime swelling!
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Comfort fit is definitely made differently. When a ring is comfort fit, the inside is very slightly domed, and this makes the ring not only go on and off more easily, but it is very smooth and, yes, comfortable. I just got my mother a comfort fit ring, and it was a half size smaller than her regular ring size.

DiamondLil

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
is it a narrow or wide band?

In the rest of the world we use the alphabet for sizes.
A is tiny, z is big. We regularly make rings say J 1/4 or S3/4 etc - but that is like 1/8th or 1/10th in the US system.

No reason you can not specify 4.2

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I would recommend taking their advice.

This is what they do for a living.

For plain (no stones) comfort fit bands, I ALWAYS go with a slightly smaller size (1/4 -1/2 size)

The main reasons being:

Comfort fit bands do fit differently than other rings

Hands vary day to day, time of day, etc. so you could be getting a 'larger than normal' reading the first time.

Most importantly, if the ring is clearly too tight, comfort fit bands can be nudged up a 1/2 size or more nearly instantly on a ring stretcher. Typically going bigger in small increments to get the perfect fit.

Bada-Bing Bada-Boom now it fits and is not too big (the reason behind this strategy)

Much more time intensive to compress a ring smaller or to size a ring smaller.

It was unclear to me if your ring had any stone(s), some jewelers prefer to nudge a solitaire setting a little bigger by hammering the bottom of the shank as opposed to cutting and sizing.

While this sounds rough, it may be preferable to having a solder seam in a ring.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. This thread is interesting because I had always believed if something was "comfort fit" it would need to be sized bigger. This is an eye-opener for me. No wonder I wish my 5.5 were a 5.25 much of the time!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi Brian and all - this is a 2mm platinum band with .20 tcw of diamonds on the top and sides... 2 pointers. very delicate and pretty. does that change anything? thanks again for your input!

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi TL1,

Yes and no.

The ring you described is not an ideal canidate for stretching.

However, given the width of the ring (2mm) and the fact that it is a comfort fit, it is a ring that I would typically size smaller than a non-comfort fit band.

It has to do with how much easier the ring goes on as well as how easy it moves once it is on the finger.

Trust the jeweler, they sound to me like they know what they are doing.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What one local jeweler does is use a narrower sizer when sizing for a comfort fit band.
IE: if the comfort fit ring is 4mm wide use a 2mm wide sizer.
He has a large collection of them that allows him to do this.

1/2 size smaller is what he said it usually worked out too but he did it his way to make sure.
For a 2mm comfort fit band the size taken with the round wire sizers should be about right id think.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
A good story on why you shouldn''t wear tight rings...

Friend''s sister-in-law just had a baby. Rings got too small while she was pregnant so she stopped wearing them for a while. Cute baby girl born. Loses a few pounds, decides to put rings back on. Half hour later, finger swells up so much she has to go to ER and get them CUT OFF...two eternity rings...ruined forever.

Moral...stay with the 4 1/2, or whatever you felt most comfortable with. Just don''t make it too loose!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2005 9:27:40 PM
Author: Brian Knox
Much more time intensive to compress a ring smaller or to size a ring smaller.

It was unclear to me if your ring had any stone(s), some jewelers prefer to nudge a solitaire setting a little bigger by hammering the bottom of the shank as opposed to cutting and sizing.

While this sounds rough, it may be preferable to having a solder seam in a ring.
Agree with Brian on all fronts - except that your ups and downs are quite big jumps.

Brian and others - when shrinking a wedder - try running a couple of layers of sticky tape (the normal cellotape type) around the ring - it reduces bruising and sometimes the ring does not need an emry - just a lick on the buff.

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 7:48:22 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Brian and others - when shrinking a wedder - try running a couple of layers of sticky tape (the normal cellotape type) around the ring - it reduces bruising and sometimes the ring does not need an emry - just a lick on the buff.
A lick on the buff??
6.gif

Sorry. It did kind of sound like Cockney rhyming slang for a minute, though.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 3:57:49 AM
Author: Addlepated

Date: 1/23/2005 7:48:22 PM
A lick on the buff??
6.gif

Sorry. It did kind of sound like Cockney rhyming slang for a minute, though.
33.gif
Is it not Cokney rhyming slang???What the heck did he just say???What''s a wedder?, and a lick
18.gif
on the what
23.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
wedder = any ring that is the same thickness and cross section all the way around. you can stretch and shrink such rings.

Lick = lick

Buff = polishing pad on a fast spinning polishing spindle

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 7
6.gif
2:17 AM
wedder = any ring that is the same thickness and cross section all the way around. you can stretch and shrink such rings.

Lick = lick

Buff = polishing pad on a fast spinning polishing spindle
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results