shape
carat
color
clarity

coloured stone not suited to solitaire setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girl from Mars

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 6:38:35 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hi Girl from Mars,

do you have any photos to share of your creation from K&B? One of the other Aussie members has a gorgeous ring from them, and I was going to work with them at one stage too (I''m in WA). I would love to see more examples of their work.

Enoki, I second the recommendation for K&B and also Ellen''s suggestion of BGD. I would guess, after exchange and taxes, they will likely work out about the same in quotes - so I would go with whoever you feel a better ''fit'' with.

You can see a number of examples of BGD''s work on the forums, they also do a great job.

Good luck!
37.gif

I don''t want to derail this thread, but here is the original thread from when I got the ring - there are a few photos there, although mainly to show off the stone, rather than the workmanship. In saying that, I got the suggestion for them from (I think) Bling Addict, and like hers, it''s beautifully made, and Tim is great to work with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with the no halo camp because I’m all halo-ed out. However, I have to agree with that some diamonds in the setting will really make the coloured stone stand out as compared to a solitaire setting even if the colour is tops; they accentuates its beauty. I don’t think you have to go with sidestones either. Pandora’s idea of the Pokey special, as it is affectionately known here, isn’t a halo and doesn’t have sidestones yet it has been an object of inspiration here. It is a split shank setting with diamond melees for a tsavorite done by LM himself. As you are the customer, you should stand firm on what you like.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think some stones are potentially better off without diamond halos/melee. My pad is very delicately and lightly colored, and would be totally lost in a halo.

Go with what you love! And I definitely can''t wait to see the final result!

heliotrope75

Rough_Rock
It''s not right that you felt "completely floored and quite sad"... makes me think you should probably work with someone else on the setting... someone that will be happy to help you get the ring you want, instead of imposing their own opinions (which are just that: opinions).

I think colored stones, including yours, can look great in solitaire-style settings. Especially with diamonds on the band.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Enoki, I like the setting you posted and think it would look great with your Tsav. I love Pandora''s Tsav with the diamond accents on the band. I actually prefer that look to a diamond halo or side stones.

I personally do not think I would like a round Tsav set in a plain metal solitaire (like the classic Tiffany solitaire) with no diamond accents at all. I inherited an 8-9 mm round Amethyst (my birthstone) set in a plain gold solitaire, and the style just doesn''t excite me with a colored stone.

enoki

Rough_Rock
thanks for the name Lexie. We''ve booked flights and are heading to Melb this Fri - am going to go into Holloway, Platinumsmith and also K&B. Holloway appeals to me atm as they seem to be a good source of high quality diamonds (?)

And yes Pandora the pear is a chrome tourmaline. As I told Richard, if it were a round (even at that size) I would have loved to have it as an e-ring stone but alas, it was not to be. Although I am sorely tempted
3.gif

We never planned on getting it although I certainly admired it numerous times on Richard''s website! My gorgeous FH suggested it would make a beautiful pendant to match and when we asked RW he said it has the brilliance of the smaller tsav and the blue-green of the big tsav so bingo!

And I do agree...some white fr adjacent diamonds do give make the green pop and I''m quite sure now that a plain band won''t do the stone justice. Only question is whether the sparkles come fr the band or in the form of 2side stones.

Will keep you all posted!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results