shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stone experts...need your help to design a ring to celebrate my baby girl!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pricescopers!

It''s been awhile since I last posted and I think this is my first post in the Colored Stones forum. I have been lurking here for awhile though. :) I love looking at all of your colored beauties.

I had a beautiful baby girl last August and am thinking of doing a ring that I will one day give to my daughter on some important day...perhaps her wedding day or graduation from college...I haven''t decided yet. I am torn between peridot (August birthstone) and something light pink since she is a girl.

For pink stones, it seems like spinel and tourmaline are good picks. Is one better than the other? How are they different?

Are there others I should be considering?

As far as shape, I am thinking either oval or asscher. I hope to have the stone set as a three or five stone with diamonds. I am a colored stone noob so really appreciate the help. I have been looking at Jeff White''s site as his cutting is really superb.

Thanks!
35.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since this is something you''d like to give her in 20 or more years time, there are some stones that you shouldn''t really consider cause they''re somewhat fragile and wouldn''t hold up well over time. Peridot is one of them (if it were a pendant it would be OK, but a ring...), and pink tourmaline is not the most durable stone in the world, unless you wouldn''t wear it that often.

So your options for a durable ring stone are spinel, topaz, andalusite, chrysoberyl, sapphire, ruby and a diamond. Not all of them come in pink, but you might even consider some other colors, for example something that has a meaning similar to her name, something to do with her horoscope sign, the color of her eyes or hair, the color of her crib, blanket, some toy or anything that would have a meaning that you could relate to her. So try to think outside the box as well, you might find something that will totally blow you away and make you feel it''s really a part of her.

Some of those stones (mostly topaz, sapphire and ruby) are often treated, sometimes heavily, and treatments are not always permanent, so google a bit about gemstone treatments. Palagems.com has great buying guides on almost all of the stones I mentioned so be sure to check them out. Oval shape is one of two most frequently used for colored stones (the other one being a cushion), but if you go with asscher, you''ll have to get it custom cut. But since you''re not exactly in a hurry...
1.gif

How large would you like this stone to be and what is your approximate budget for it? That might help narrow down the choices.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cpster,
I am trying to do the same thing, except my daughter was born in May.

There is an interesting thread about a pink topaz ring that someone had custom made for their daughter. It is here.

Hope that helps!

Preg

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Try looking at some of these

If you want durability, sapphire or diamond is probably the way to go.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
My birthday is in August and my favorite color is peridot green, so of course I''m going to suggest peridot! I agree though that the stone should go in a pendant--perhaps a bezel pendant that you could have set into a ring when the time comes to give it to her?

Since you''re thinking pink... how about a peridot set into rose gold? Pink and green are complementary colors and this way you could have both in one piece.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 3:45:19 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

I think spinel is a great choice for durability, as well. Peridot, not so much. If we had an idea about your budget, that might help us direct you a little better, cpster. And congrats on the birth of your little girl!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 5:08:01 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 2/10/2010 3:45:19 PM

Author: PinkAsscher678

I think spinel is a great choice for durability, as well. Peridot, not so much. If we had an idea about your budget, that might help us direct you a little better, cpster. And congrats on the birth of your little girl!

Spinel is a good choice too. I was just going by what''s hard on the mohs scale off the top of my head. I know the rings on the site I mentioned are supposed to be heirloom pieces so that''s why I suggested it.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I''m sorry it took me awhile to write back. After reading all of your replies and doing some more thinking, I really think I want to go pink...not a bright pink though...something a little more subtle. So pink sapphires and spinels are in the running. I know I want something precision cut. I contacted Jeff White to inquire about sapphires, but he only has brighter pink rough in stock. Should I also consider garnet?

Budget wise, I would like to keep the project under $3000 total. I''m guessing I should allocate $2000 to the setting with diamonds so $1000 max for the stone. It would be great if I could come in under budget.

Shape...I think oval or asscher.

Any help is much appreciated!
35.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
To help you decide a little:

- asschers are step cuts, so they''re not as lively and scintillating as precisely cut brilliant cuts such as ovals
- the whole beauty of step cuts is pretty much in the effect that the steps create, like you''re in a room full of mirrors so they reflect eachother; that''s why step cuts are much nicer in larger gems (and lighter tones), while brilliants can look really beautiful even if small pieces
- spinel is singly refractive, which, in the simplest of terms, means that it''s brilliance is sharper and more crisp than that of the stones that are doubly refractive, such as a sapphire (whose brilliance is more gentle); so "sparks" seen in spinel, when viewed in direct light, will be closer in appearance to those of garnets, while those seen in sapphire will be a bit more subdued, for instance kind of like those of an amethyst
- spinels are usually not treated, sapphires are usually treated
- spinels are generally less expensive and easier to source

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pale pink? If so, a pink spinel will be great as it is not only untreated but inexpensive, compared to a sapphire. It also holds up quite well to everyday wear within reason. Jeff White recut a baby pink native oval stone for me into an amazing asscher stone. It is 1.75 ct and measures 6.5 mm and is well under your $1K budget. The only thing you may not realize (maybe not even care about) is that asscher cuts are typically very deep, which is why a seemingly large carat weight stone cut in an asscher design measures (faces up) smaller than an oval of the same carat weight.

BeforeAndAfter1.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of a pink stone in rose gold...maybe you could find a pretty pink sapphire or spinel.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention one more difference between the two varieties:

- spinel can, especially in lighter tones of color and with precision cutting, show dispersion of light or (as people often call it) fire; something that''s normally seen in diamonds, but rarely in colored stones - sapphires don''t show it.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you kind Pricscopers for your thoughtful replies!!!

Mr. Ma Re -- The information you provided is sooo helpful! Last night I was really leaning towards sapphire just due to it being slightly harder, but your information regarding refracting and fire have shifted me towards spinel now! Thank you so much for the information. I am still torn between the asscher and oval shape though...still thinking. I don''t have either shape in my jewelry box right now.

Chrono -- Thank you so much for posting the picture of your gorgeous spinel. Do you by chance have any real life pictures of it on your hand by chance?

Laila -- I hadn''t even thought of rose gold...

Sounds like spinel is nicer price wise than sapphire so I think that may be the way to go, especially since finding a cutter with appropriate rough will be easier. That will leave more funds for the setting. I''m not sure if these are within my budget as I have not contacted Mr. Mege yet, but these are the two that I love that are five stones.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=495
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=511

BTW, should I be considering Malaya Garnet? How are those durability and price wise?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 5:57:09 PM
Author: cpster

BTW, should I be considering Malaya Garnet? How are those durability and price wise?
Durability wise, OK for occasional wear, not for daily wear. Price wise, on the affordable side, i.e. most probably less expensive than either of the two you''re considering in the shade and size you''d like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A hand shot for a faraway perspective.

handshotspinelasscher.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A close up to show what the wearer will see.

fingershotsspinelasscher.jpg

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you mr. ma re for the additional information and Chrono for posting the pictures. My project is moving very slow as I have been changing my mind. After seeing some gorgeous red spinels on here lately I am leaning towards red now. Chrono...your gorgeous Mehenge is definately an inspiration!
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results