shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stone engagament ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I''m a longtime lurker in this subforum and thrilled I finally have something to post over here. :)

My boyfriend and I are looking for rings, and I''m considering having a colored gemstone instead of a diamond. Maybe. I am the most indecisive person on the face of the planet.

The thing is, of all the colored stones, my absolute favorite is the rhodolite garnet, especially when it''s got that deep rose color. But since I''d plan to wear my ring every day, I don''t think the hardness of that stone would be sufficient ... is there any other kind of stone that gives the same kind of color, but is more durable for everyday wear?

Thanks so much!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Could you post a photo of the color that you have in mind, cause eventhough most folks here know what a rhodolite looks like, different people could imagine the color you describe differently, so a photo would be best. Spinel could (maybe) come in that color, but I can''t say until I see what you mean. Even pink sapphires/rubies can look similar to rhodolites, and those colors in sapphires/rubies cost much less than those which are considered ideal (bright shades).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can wear a rhodolite garnet everyday with certain conditions:
1. Remove the ring once you are home and when doing housework, going to the gym and other “rough” activities
2. Put it in a more protective setting like AJ’s James Meyer bezel

I know of at least 2 other PSers who have garnets as their e-rings but take good care of it like the above. One is Movie Zombie and the other is Pandora.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
If you really want something, get it! It has to be something you absolutely love, and if it''s a garnet, so be it! Just be careful.
Tanzanite is a really popular choice for engagement rings here, and those have to be treated even more carefully. I''ve even seen opal engagement rings, and after years of (careful) everyday wear they still look great.
Just don''t do housework, gym, gardening or go swimming with it.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think most stones are scratched by other jewelry with diamonds or other harder stones. A garnet is pretty hard, with a hardness of 7. I can''t think of anything at a gym that is that hard. Steel, gold, glass, gym mats, etc can not scratch the stone. Dumping in your jewelry box with other hard stones can. Chipping is another thing, but then diamonds chip too.

My wife wore a tourmaline for years, 24/7, and there was never a scratch on it.

You may chip the stone, but actually you could drag your garnet down the sidewalk, and it wouldn''t be scratched. Most gem stones are pretty darn hard, and there isn''t much out there that can scratch them. Gold is pretty soft, and the settings I would think would get all dented, scratched etc. long before the stone would.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2009 9:36:23 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
I think most stones are scratched by other jewelry with diamonds or other harder stones. A garnet is pretty hard, with a hardness of 7. I can't think of anything at a gym that is that hard. Steel, gold, glass, gym mats, etc can not scratch the stone. Dumping in your jewelry box with other hard stones can. Chipping is another thing, but then diamonds chip too.

My wife wore a tourmaline for years, 24/7, and there was never a scratch on it.

You may chip the stone, but actually you could drag your garnet down the sidewalk, and it wouldn't be scratched. Most gem stones are pretty darn hard, and there isn't much out there that can scratch them. Gold is pretty soft, and the settings I would think would get all dented, scratched etc. long before the stone would.
That's true, but I have one tourmaline that I bought several years ago, when I just started seriously getting into the hobby, and I wasn't careful with it. It has two huge chips.
8.gif

Diamonds are easily chipped as well. My mother has three huge chips on her diamond, but then again, she wore it 24/7 and to do everything in. I don't ever recommend wearing a ring 24/7.

There are deep rose colored spinels, which are pretty hard and durable stones. I would highly recommend one for an ering. Check out some of the recommended vendors.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
This is not the greatest picture, but I do like this kind of color/color in the light .. something with a rosy red color. (You''d never know I was a writer, LOL)

My biggest concern is that, even though I''d be careful, I am a ginormous klutz -- I''ve banged most of my nice pieces of jewelry without even meaning to!

4000_big.jpeg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yup, spinels can be found in such a color, but sapphires could be pretty expensive (in such a shade), especially untreated ones. I haven''t really seen rubies in color close to that, but then, I''m no expert.

P. S. CZ''s are often the cause of scratches on gemstones, as there are only a few harder than them. BTW, some kinds of glass, ceramics and hardened steel can reach 7 (or more) on the moh''s scale, according to some online sources.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
everybody has, as always, made great suggstions and given wonderful information-- I continue to learn more each time I read a thread.

I LOVE he color you picked out!!! It has such a rich, romantic feel to it
30.gif

and I agree with Kribbie-- If it were me in your shoes, I think I would go with the garnet- if its a garnet you desire- then go for it!! personally I think it wold look great in a yellow gold bezel

here is two examples of very lovely garnet engagement rings...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wishful-no-more.86108/

and jus to show you, here is a sapphire that is kinda the color... high price tag, but dreamy color! http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5665

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
*plunk*

Kas, I think my jaw just hit the floor on that rose sapphire. I would totally snatch it up, Gollum-precious-style, if we could afford it! Love the matching e-rings, too -- that''s one of the cutest "we''re engaged" pictures I''ve ever seen!!!

You all are so helpful -- thank you so much!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 10:26:53 AM
Author: shertz1981
*plunk*

Kas, I think my jaw just hit the floor on that rose sapphire. I would totally snatch it up, Gollum-precious-style, if we could afford it! Love the matching e-rings, too -- that's one of the cutest 'we're engaged' pictures I've ever seen!!!

You all are so helpful -- thank you so much!
LOL!! I totally agree!
27.gif
my preeeeciousssssss......
11.gif

I'm sure you'll find something incredibly drool worthy for your e-ring- whether its a colored stone or not! I'll be cheering for you!

ETA: there are two on this website that made me think of you: 878, and 860 http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Garnet_Red.html

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
878!!!
19.gif
19.gif

This forum makes me loopy.

I think the only solution is to have one of everything

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a spinel and sapphire will fit the bill, but a spinel will also be far less expensive. Still, if you find a garnet with the right colour, I would not dismiss it as an engagement ring stone.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 12:13:36 PM
878!!!
19.gif
19.gif

This forum makes me loopy.

I think the only solution is to have one of everything

haha! its an expensive hobby! but soooo preeeety!! I like preeeties
37.gif
41.gif

(I vote for the 878
3.gif
... but I don''t know what kind of setting you''re looking for... maybe people with a cut like this will chime in
2.gif
)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It''s when the color shows up in bands rather than solidly across the stone. The attached picture is from Peter Torraca''s flickr site and shows really obvious zoning. Presumably the higher the number on Cherrypicked the lower the noticeable zoning.

3530751723_c9e29b4607_m.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
This rating should mean that it has virtually no zoning, and that''s a good thing (for a rhodolite). Zoning is a term used to describe existance of areas in a stone that are not all the same color, so the stone can look kind of striped or dotted. Like if you would take a nicely colored stone, get an eraser and make a part of it much paler than the rest
9.gif

Something like THIS.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Good to know. This is much more fun than doing work
31.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2009 2:33:14 PM
Good to know. This is much more fun than doing work
31.gif
I don''t blame you. Look at gemstones is very addictive.
9.gif

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
As for settings, I think a split shank halo with melee on the band would be gorgeous and BLINGTASTIC

Any suggestions for where to look for rose sapphires?? Now that I know this option exists ...
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results