shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Stone Dilemma: Mined Vs. Lab Created

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Let's discuss. Pics most welcome!

As I know I've said before, I like lab sapphires, in particular. They come in many colors, are very durable, kinder to the environment and I think it's just nifty that they can be created in a lab and be the same molecular substance as the mined ones. And of course, most of all, they cost a fraction of their mined equivalents. I like large stones so most mined sapphires wouldn't be in my budget.

But. Who wouldn't rather have the mined stones, IF all other things were equal, right? Rare, gorgeous, natural creations. Yum!

I now have a few mined gems too (peridot, blue zircon, spessartite, opal). I love them too but they were more expensive than my lab gems and are less durable.

I'm trying to acquire a variety of different colored gem rings. The "gaps" (lol) are: yellow, red and purple. I'm trying to decide which way to go next. I've seen some lovely (from their online pics anyway) mined chrysoberyls, rubellites and purple garnets that are lovely, somewhere around $1500 each. Well cut lab sapphires in those colors would be roughly $1,000 less.

Which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a lab Emerald in emerald cut by Jeff W; lab stones in neon yellow LuAg (Asscher), blue Sapphire (Asscher), a Ruby (EC) and a Paraiba-colour YAG (cushion) from Gary B.

I also have 2 other lab Rubies.

I opted for lab stones as I am unlikely to be able to afford the real earth-grown gems equivalent; for example, the lab Sapphire alone from Gary would cost 10k+ USD if it was a real earth-grown Sapphire in that colour, clarity and size!

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have a lab Emerald in emerald cut by Jeff W; lab stones in neon yellow LuAg (Asscher), blue Sapphire (Asscher), a Ruby (EC) and a Paraiba-colour YAG (cushion) from Gary B.

I also have 2 other lab Rubies.

I opted for lab stones as I am unlikely to be able to afford the real earth-grown gems equivalent; for example, the lab Sapphire alone from Gary would cost 10k+ USD if it was a real earth-grown Sapphire in that colour, clarity and size!

DK :))

That's a good way to decide imo. Get the lab version or color if the mined is out of reach and otherwise, get the mined stone?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here's my little colored stone ring collection:

The light and dark pink stones on the middle finger are lab sapphires.

First finger is peridot. Ring finger: spess, blue zircon.

I just realized I am trying to talk myself into more lab stones but I WANT mined ones. Dilemma solved! :lol-2:

rings1.jpg

llamacat

Rough_Rock
I have no lab coloured stones but I would consider getting a lab pad sapphire, lab emerald and maybe a YAG.

I prefer mined stones though and I also enjoy the hunt. With lab stones, there is no hunt.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only want gems made naturally in the earth.
To me, origin matters.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I’m torn—my heart says purist so I tend toward earth mined. And yet, when Gene posted a gorgeous lab sapphire in pink—I grabbed it. It’s stunning in person and I’ve been hankering after neon stones and I’m impatient.

BUT, I still struggle with imposter syndrome if that makes sense? I wish my brain could convince my heart since my wallet clearly can’t :evil2:

I too like the hunt and that definitely plays a role in my decision making. I’m currently looking for a Fanta/mandarin spess but I may pivot . . .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just cannot be mind clean about having lab stones. I'd rather have no gemstones if I cannot afford the real thing.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to buy mined stones and then ask my friends if I can pass them off as costume jewelry!

I don't care about perception at all but I do like mined stones. I enjoy the process around making the setting, what size diamonds and how much budget I have for each step of the design process after the cost of the stone.

I just don't have the same motivation to do all that for lab stones but if you do, you could get a stunning ring for just a fraction of the price.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I tried lab stones but they are not the same. To me it’s a mind clean thing. So no, I’ll rather not unless it’s the real thing.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Lab stones of any kind are not mind clean for me. I can't disassociate them with the CZs from Claire's, where I used to go when I was a kid. Obviously I know the difference in material, but the concept is the same in my eyes, all created in a lab. With that said however, I do enjoy looking at beautiful lab jewelry pieces. But I probably wouldn't own one again unless it was a gift or has sentimental value.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no way to answer this question without answering like a snob. Just like with lab diamonds—I just can’t appreciate lab stones. They feel like costume to me and I equate costume with not special. Sounds silly to people who love lab precisely bc they are inexpensive but I tend to gravitate to jewelry that I consider hard to find bc it just feels more valuable to me. Ironically, I always purchase from pawn shops—so definitely not snobby!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a smittin fan of any lab cs I’ve seen in person, be it boutique precision cut or whatever the opposite of that is called, or material that’s impeccably flawless or having intentional inclusions.
I know there’s multiple materials out there - so I’ll keep an open mind for something to pop up that doesn’t have the too good to be believed color distribution, imo.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The possibility for a stone to be lab bothers me less in an antique or vintage piece because depending on the time period, labs would be the expectation over a natural stone.

I don’t seek out lab stones but I also don’t send colored stones to a lab to verify, if the price is right then I just enjoy it for the aesthetic.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love lab sapphire and ruby mainly because mined nice ones other than melee that might fit my budget are glass filled or otherwise so messed over that they are more lab than earth.
Spinel has now reached the same point.
I am a snob when it comes to amethyst, I love 4 peaks!!!! which will never be duplicated in the lab.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find lab padparadschas look really strange. BE ones look much better to me. The lab padparadschas that I've seen are a completely freaky colour and look like....... something but definitely not padparadscha.

I pondered some more about why I'm not into lab stones. In Australia you used to be able to buy lab emeralds and rubies set in 9ct gold for a few low hundred dollars during the sales. I bought a bunch in my early 20s and they're rolling around in my son's drawers somewhere. Even he doesn't value them (yet he completely treasures a garnet a PSer sent him). I guess that's why I can't take them seriously.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results