shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs size; smaller G vs larger I

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
baroque|1433706421|3886307 said:
Honestly, I don't think there are supposed to be variables in the "Signature" cut at all.
And just because it was an advance selection shouldn't make any difference in the precision of the cut.

I'm glad you are going to call them to talk about it. I don't know how else to say that there should be no compromise in the cut with a "Signature" Brian Gavin stone. I think Advance Selection is what you are talking about but I do believe, from my lengthy visit with Brian Gavin, these Signature cut stones are to meet the same strict standards and should be expected to be spot on.

I would go on the site and do a chat and let them know that you would like a call to talk about the stones.

I do not know, but there is a difference between those stones, and if I could get the same fire, brilliance and fluidness of the G color diamond in a 1.5ct size I would chose it in a heartbeat even if the color was J. I learned that color does not really bother me. I did not mean that the cut in advance selection diamond is any different than the stones in stock. What I meant is that maybe because my fiance bought the 1.55ch I diamond from the factory it was cheaper. Because a similar 1.5 "I", Vs1 diamond was listed for over 15K at BGD website and it is gone already. I feel like we got the 1.55ct I diamond for a good price i.e. 11.8K and it will be sad to lose it. That is what I meant.

I was reading this review which may explain the difference we see.
http://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/brian-gavin-diamonds-review/

My fiance will try to talk to Brian Gavin on Monday.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Both diamonds carry the "Signature" label, so I would assume the same precision cut. And I don't think buying from the "factory" (I don't know what that means, I thought that BG had their own cutters?) should mean anything different if it meets the standard for the label. I'm honestly not trying to be confusing or argumentative, I just want you to get what you are aiming for.

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
baroque|1433709788|3886328 said:
Both diamonds carry the "Signature" label, so I would assume the same precision cut. And I don't think buying from the "factory" (I don't know what that means, I thought that BG had their own cutters?) should mean anything different if it meets the standard for the label. I'm honestly not trying to be confusing or argumentative, I just want you to get what you are aiming for.

Yes, both diamonds carry a "signature" label. The difference is some diamonds are in house means Brian Gavin can ship them right away, whereas some stones are advance-ideal means that the stone is not ready and it is still in Brian Gavin's factory. You have to pay for the stone without seeing it and wait 10 business days (in our case it took exactly one month unfortunately). They will finish cutting the stone in the factory and ship to Brian Gavin. Brian Gavin will then send it to AGS for grading. AGS will send it back to Brian Gavin. Brian Gavin will take pictures and send it to his customer. That's what I meant by buying from factory because the diamond is essentially in the factory when you purchase it. My impression was and still is that the advance-ideal diamonds were listed cheaper than in house diamonds, but that is just my impression. What I meant is that 11.8K for 1.55ct I color, Vs1, Brian Gavin signature diamond was a good deal and we do not want to lose it. In other words I do not think that we can get 1.5ct, I color, Vs1 "signature"/"cut above" in house diamond from either Brian Gavin or Whiteflash. For example just compare our diamond price to the 1.504 BGD, and the 1.346 and 1.575 Whiteflash diamonds' prices.

1.55 Round I VS1 Ideal BGD signature AGS $11,800 our diamond
1.504 Round I VS1 Ideal BGD signature AGS $15,860 $15,385 currently listed
1.346 Round I VS1 Ideal A CUT ABOVE® AGS $11,461 $11,118 currently listed
1.575 Round I SI1 Ideal Expert Selection AGS $11,913 $11,556 currently listed
Again that is only my impression that the advance-ideal BGD diamonds were cheaper compared to in house diamonds. I just compared the prices when we were picking diamonds and at that time Brian Gavin had quite a few advance-ideal diamonds listed (not anymore) and that's where my impression comes from. No facts to prove it. It is just my impression.

I do not think that that in house and advance ideal diamonds are cut differently as they are all cut in the same factory under Brian Gavin's supervision. It is just that when you buy in house diamonds you have a choice to pick the best proportions while when you get it from the factory you do not see what you are getting until the diamond is finished. e.g. my fiance picked the G diamond because in his opinion it had the best proportions in the 1.2-1.3ct range. But then we saw how white the G color was I said why not to get a bigger I? And since the "advance-ideal" 1.55ct I color diamond's price was good we decided to get it without seeing it thinking that all BGD signature diamonds should have a very similar cut. But I am learning from my experience that may not be the case. There are variations even between "signature" stones. That is my subjective opinion based on our experience. Both my fiance and I have the same opinion, and I am sure that most people will agree with us because the difference is quite noticeable. Again maybe partly it has to do with the size.

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Just to give an update--we decided to go with the I diamond. We talked to Catherine, Todd (email communication) and Brian. Todd was very helpful. I talked to Brian for almost an hour over the phone. He was very patient and explained all the technical details. Wonderful person to talk to. He said that both the I and the G diamonds have similar optical precision, however he did say that the G diamond's cut is "what he calls sweet spot" and he said that he would cut all his stones like the G diamond if he could, but unfortunately it is not possible.

For us both the size and the price of the I diamond were deciding factors. Even Brian said that we were very lucky to get the "I", VS1, 1.54ct for $11,800.00. And when I asked if they would keep the same price if we were to return it he answered that they would be stupid to do that.

Again thanks everyone for your help and input!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Wonderful! Yay! You made a thorough and informed decision that you are happy with! Congratulations! I'm sure it is an amazing stone and you will love it for years to come! I love my "I" color stone and have no regrets regarding color vs size.

Now...how are you setting it? I may have missed that?

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Thanks Baroque for your kind words!

The setting :confused:
I tried the classic Tiffany's ring at Tiffany and I loved how delicate the prongs were made

So now we are thinking between the Juno and Classic Tiffany style half round solitaire from Brian Gavin

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/juno-platinum-5977p

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5478p

But then I saw how delicate the Leon Mege's Tulip is and thought may be we could get that. So I talked to him on the phone today about his setting. And all I can say I wish he was a little more friendly.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beautiful-leon-mege-6-prong-solitaire.185948/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beautiful-leon-mege-6-prong-solitaire.185948/[/URL]

I talked to Mark Morrell on the phone and he was a pure delight to talk to even though he said he could not make the ring in 2-3 weeks (our wedding is on July 15 and he is closing June 26).

So at this point, we will ask Brian Gavin to make the prongs (by prongs I mean the two lines that start from the doughnut and connect at the top of the diamond not the claws) a little more delicate if they can. Or if they can make the Juno a little more delicate we may go with it.

If not, we are thinking of getting a temporary setting from Brian Gavin and get a custom made setting from Mark Morrell later.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I had the BG Tapered Tiffany if you are looking for delicate, that was VERY delicate. You might really like that one. It's very pretty and really shows off the stone. Others here have that and love it. You can probably search it on Pricescope and see comments.
The idea of a temp setting is not bad though, either, gives you time to be sure, and not rush. I have seen both good and bad comments on many of the artists here that custom make settings, go with your gut on that.
The others you are considering are beautiful, too! Keep us posted and share hand shots! Best wishes for your wedding! That's where your focus will be now!

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
baroque|1434423683|3889717 said:
I had the BG Tapered Tiffany if you are looking for delicate, that was VERY delicate. You might really like that one. It's very pretty and really shows off the stone. Others here have that and love it. You can probably search it on Pricescope and see comments.
The idea of a temp setting is not bad though, either, gives you time to be sure, and not rush. I have seen both good and bad comments on many of the artists here that custom make settings, go with your gut on that.
The others you are considering are beautiful, too! Keep us posted and share hand shots! Best wishes for your wedding! That's where your focus will be now!

I love how the tapered Tiffany looks from the top, but I thought that that the gap between the ering and wedding band will be bigger that's why I wanted the half round version.

But are the prongs really delicate? Because in the pictures the prongs from the side-view do not look as delicate as Tiffany's ring or Leon Mege's Tulip.

I wonder if anyone has the BG Juno and could post hand-shots. I am going to make a separate thread for that.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I can't compare the ones you mention, because I only had the tapered from BG. Yes, very delicate. Remember they are super zoomed.
I have the WF Tiffany knife edge now. It's more substantial and that was what I wanted. (I have 2.538 carat) I really did think the tapered was pretty, delicate and clean, and the stone popped. I like the gap though, but if you don't, I'd bet the half round would make you happy. Classic.

(In case of confusion, I had tried a 2.25 "J" BG Signature first, for about a week, and decided to return it and went for a larger "I" stone at Whiteflash-both vendors have amazing stones, it's all about what they have when you want it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results