shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs. Size: G/1.20ct vs. D/1.10ct --- Help me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

I'm contemplating between G/1.20ct and D/1.10ct. ..... Will I see the difference in color between D and G? I'm more for quality than size, but if the difference is going to be very small (e.g. less than 5%), then I may rather go for larger G. But, if there will be some small noticeable difference, then I want to go for D. Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Toni

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people will notice the difference but without them being side by side most wont.
G is a safe color for just about anyone.
Some even prefer it too a D.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All things being equal as far as the cut is concerned I'd go for the G. It's going to be bright white and I feel the D isn't worth the extra $400. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1.gif
ETA: make sure it's eye clean too.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I''d go for the G. I actually LOVE G colored stones. They are my absolute favorite. It''s such a sweet spot. And it''s less money and bigger!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have a D SI2 marquise stone and a G .92 ideal cut RB and I love them both however that being said I would opt for the G bigger stone...if everything is equal and its cut is ideal then I don''t believe you''d notice the difference face up. I can tell a slight difference when I put my rings side by side but my G is very white and I''m very satisfied with it
1.gif
Good luck!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others! A G stone will still look incredibly white and bright. Save the money and get the bigger rock. I have an F and I think it looks very icey white and would have been fine with an H, but I just ended up with the F instead.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, don''t hate me, but I disagree with the others. I personally would prefer the D color, but that''s because I''m super color sensitive. I''m able to pick out the difference between a G and an E, so....a G would really bother me. JMO.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.1pts is not allot... around one carat, from D to G is not allot either! 'Guess either is a 'feel good' kind of difference, not a substantial, obvious one.

Which would I go with ? Geez, dunno ! D, I guess.
28.gif

How about the SI2 part? Are both lucky enough to look clean? If not, regardless the one with more visible inclusions would loose out for me.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Colour sensitive here, too. I would also be forever bugged by the fact that it was a G and would be compelled to hunt out that yeller from all angles and under all lighting conditions.

I''m really not a size maven, you see, and much prefer D, E, F stones...

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with me. This is great help!

About the 0.10 size difference, I compared them at a jewelry store, and it seems pretty noticeable to me. ...or was it just "mind" thing?? : )

Thank you very much for your help!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! GOG must have looked high and low for such SI2s. The clarity grade looks like true injustice for both!

The third (1.11 D/Si2) seems to have a relatively noticeable booger compared to the other two.
38.gif

The size difference isn't that much for me (6.7mm versus 6.9...), but if it mattered to you, that's what counts.

If you did see these in person, how about color? It really is your choice after all. I don't think there is such a noticeable difference between these two charmers, so that one might risk to be on your liking but in fact turn out to be pariah for anyone else
23.gif
Both diamonds are quite beautiful, to say the least
2.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another vote for the "D".

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the D, too.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

So, what do you think of the clouds in the D #1? Some people warn me about the SI2 level stone whose clarity grade based on clouds. I''m very concerned about that if I were to go with D although the GDG told me that the clouds are indistinguishable and hard to see them even with loupe. Should I be still concerned?! Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2006 10:12:21 AM
Author: oceanbeach

I''m very concerned about that if I were to go with D although the GDG told me that the clouds are indistinguishable and hard to see them even with loupe.

Why does it matter at all if sometime, somewhere a random Si2 stone looks good or bad to someone else? The type of inclusions (SI2, mostly clouds although there are a few other things on the clarity plot there) is not that common and certainly not all diamonds labeled this way are the same (depending on the color, density and extent of said clouds etc.)

IMO, at the very least this one sounds good enough to take a look at. Those are super magnified pictures, and still don''t make this one look bad clarity-wise.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Okay, let''s see. I''ve heard such good things about GOG, I don''t think you can go wrong no matter what you decide. Personally, I think if you have even asked this question one time, you are going to continue asking yourself which one should I have gone with. I believe you should go with the d, because if you do not, you will keep wondering what you missed. Then, you can always upgrade to a larger, different (notice I did not say "lower" because I don''t believe in that term) color later (GOG does upgrades, right?). I am color sensitive and always second guess myself--so I say, go for the d, because then you can always say, been there done that. I own a K now and LOVE IT- (I owned a d at one time). Remember, this is supposed to be fun!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I just made a choice yesterday, to go with an E I1. The inclusion is more like a booger (good one Ana!) than a cloud.
I am trading in a J I1 becuase I gradually got tired of the warmth and i am ready for a change.

Also, after 2 years, I still NEVER saw the clouds in my J I1 when I looked at the diaomnd face up.
It is gorgeous!

But when I looked at it on an angle, I could see the clouds and the clouds intensified the yellow color.
So, for me I got tired of that type of inclusion combined with that color.

My new E I1 has a knot in it.
It''s clear and gorgeous from all angles ( no clouds, feathers, wisps - just that booger!) and i enjoy that clarity.
The booger is under the facets, closer to the girdle.

It shows decent hearts & arrows and, to me, that disguises the booger.

Well, I love my new booger.
(How many times can I type the word booger!
9.gif
)
Good luck!!!
It''s up to how you see it when you look at it.
I bet they are both gorgeous!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Again thank you everyone for the great input.

Like justjulia said, Ifm thinking that it may bother me later on if I go with G, so Ifm kind of leaning toward D now. I guess as many of you said, itfs more of gmindh thing. Ifd gotten over the desire for ghigh clarityh(now Ifm o.k. as long as a stone is eye-clean), but I couldnft let go of the super Ideal over ideal although many people on PS said that there is no visual difference. So, color is another one that I may not be able to give up even when I know itfs not going to make that much of difference.

Well, Ifm still scared about going for the D #1 though because of the clouds. The person at GOG assured me that there is no visible inclusion from top and side, so Ifm thinking of trusting his words. I think he wouldnft tell me that if it''s not true because I will find that out when I receive the stone. : ) Ifm thinking (hoping) that although the clouds look a lot and significant under the microscope, they could be very faint so that they canft be seen with naked-eyes and don''t affect brilliance at allc. This is possible, isnft it?! : )

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahahaha...now I am forever going to think of inclusions as "boogers." Don''t know why that strikes me as so funny. Hope the booger isn''t too noticeable in the diamond I am going to look at tomorrow.

I''m pretty color sensitive too I think. I love the icy Ds, but I think it depends on the setting for me. Face up on a nice cut, I would definitely try a G.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Definitely get the D...... for only $400 you''ll get top of the line colorless white color... and it''s not that much smaller.
I don''t think the 1.10 vs 1.20 would be much bigger visually speaking; especially once set. My orig. diamond is an I-J color and I''m very color sensitive so now it bothers me. I also have a wedding set with G''s and they are very nice and appear white most of the time, but again they are TINY. I would go for the D! and definitely make sure the cut is excellent, because I think the sparklier the diamond, the larger it appears....plus w/ the white color of the stone - awesome choice
and $400 more is really nothing when you''ll be wearing it for possibly a lifetime...... I did a post on D diamonds recently,
check it out: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/d-girls-if-you-had-a-chance-to-upgrade-to-another-color-for-larger-size-would-you.42378/

ladies state why they bought their D''s and if they are still happy with their decision.. I did the post bec. I am looking at diamonds and will 99% get a D, especially after my post responses...
34.gif
35.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I''d choose the smaller D as long as it is eye clean. When we purchased my stone, Whiteflash sent 2 out for me to look at (I couldn''t make up my mind w/o seeign them because both looked good "on paper"). One was a D and the other was an F, both with excellent cuts. To my color-sensitive eye, there was a clear difference between the 2. The F was certainly "white" with no hint of yellow or warmth, but it just didn''t have the icy crispness of the D. The D just seemed more "clear" (but not in the way we discuss clarity here). Can GOG send you both so you can see them in person and make your own decision?

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Here is an update... Unfortunately the D #1 diamond was purchased by someone else last weekc. :< I was pretty upset about it because at the time I just made up my mind to go with the stone. But, it would have been too early for me to ask my boyfriend to buy it now anyway. I was to find a diamond sometime in summer or early fall. Well, I guess I should take a break in searching because if I see something great, I will want it then. : )
But, when the time comes, now I know exactly what I want, so all of your help are not wasted! Thank you again everyone.

p.s. Jewelgal, that was a great post. Thanks for letting me know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results