shape
carat
color
clarity

Color sensitivity

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles|1292796428|2801199 said:
I think diamonds are like buying a pair of shoes....if they don't feel good when you try them on, they are not likely to get much better after you wear them.

Same with diamonds...if you notice the yellow tint now and it bothers you, it is probably going to bother you more as time goes on.

Just my own experience and my own personal opinion. :wink2:

MyDiamondSparkles

I whole heartedly agree with you! This has been my experience, as well.

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
tannet|1292709127|2800548 said:
Am I being paranoid? Will it not be so obvious once the stone is set in BGD's Tiffany platinum 6 prong setting? Am I able to see more of the tint because it is loose?

To answer your initial questions: I won't answer the paranoid one ;)) But you are able to see more of the tint when the diamond is loose and it won't be as obvious (if it even is obvious) once it is set.

Do you think the general population (non-PSer) would notice the slight tint in a J?

To your second question: definitely NOT!

So if these are your real concerns, you should be fine and very happy that you own a beautiful diamond.

Now...if you think you have detected the tint in your diamond and that is going to hunt you forever...think about what you're willing to trade off in order to go higher in color grade.

Good luck!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Venice|1292800391|2801234 said:
MyDiamondSparkles|1292796428|2801199 said:
I think diamonds are like buying a pair of shoes....if they don't feel good when you try them on, they are not likely to get much better after you wear them.

Same with diamonds...if you notice the yellow tint now and it bothers you, it is probably going to bother you more as time goes on.

Just my own experience and my own personal opinion. :wink2:

MyDiamondSparkles

I whole heartedly agree with you! This has been my experience, as well.

Ditto. And it doesn't matter if no one else notices the color (and they probably won't unless they are jewelers!). All that matters is how you and your bf feel about the color when you look at your diamond.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
risingsun|1292780667|2801010 said:
rosetta|1292773614|2800928 said:
I don't think you should puchase a J stone expecting it to be blindingly white. My BGD J def shows a yellow tint and I've complimented it with the unplated white gold setting. I like the tint. I expected the colour.

If you want it to look white from all angles, plus you don't want other more colour sensitive people to think it's tinted in any way, I think G and above is safest. I can see tint in a F stone from the side, though I am sensitive to colour, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's all about what YOU feel comfortable with. You won't be able to wish away a tint that bothers you, so be very clear in your head that your expectations are realistic. Remember, all our opinions and perceptions are completely subjective, but there is a reason why D/E/F stones are in the colourless range: it's coz they are more colourless to the eye (ok I mean broadly, not technically)

Rosetta~I think this is a good response to the OP's concerns. I also like the idea of setting the stone in unplated white gold. There are many viable options. Another setting idea could be a bezel or bezel halo. The sides won't be visible at all, depending upon the design. I think it's best, if possible, to see how the diamond would look in a particular setting prior to making a decision.

thanks risingsun. there are many factors to consider, such is life! :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you would need to pay for the second stone. If you have a credit card that could work, and just return it before the cc is due. It is also possible that BGD would send it sans payment to a local trusted appraiser. Call and talk to them!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of take your stone to a local Jared's or similar and compare to an *AGS* graded ideal cut H color stone. Need not be the same ct weight, but close would be best.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1292774437|2800938 said:
I don't care for terms like tolerance or color sensitivity.
It reinforces the idea that color in a diamond is a bad thing, which is not inherently true.

If all colors from D-Z were equally available from nature and identically priced I'll bet the psychology would shift.
Only then would we find out what body color people truly prefer in diamonds.

+1

The lower colors look to me like like the beautiful color of the straw Rapunzel spun into gold. I like it. In fact, I prefer it.

I don't think it's a question of "sensitivity" as much as "sensibility" and "tolerance" is a word that is laden with a normative (and negative) connotation.

tannet

Shiny_Rock
I changed my mind AGAIN! :twirl: LOL. After reading more of the responses on this thread and talking with my sister and friend who introduced me to PS, I've decided that I want to see what the diamond looks like in it's final state...so I'm going to have it set! My bf is okay with me doing this. I'm assuming he's probably curious to see what it will look like too. We were going to have to wait until Feb before we could buy something of higher color due to budget constraints so I figured I'd might as well have the current diamond set during this time and give it a "test drive." I told my bf that I would eat any extra costs of the remount, if any. So that's that...for now at least.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I really value every piece of information I gain from this forum. In the mean time, I will try to learn how to take photos of my diamond so I can be prepared to share pics...the best part! ;-)

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like a good idea. Having it set will tell you everything you need to know - and that your BF needs to know. As an aside, I never thought I'd like lower color diamonds, I recently saw and fell in love with a pair of o/m diamonds (one of each). They had fantastic cuts - and I preferred the warmer color on my face. I'm not sure if i wold have done that with a ring, but I guess my point is, I was surprised that I liked them so much. It is like dresses - you can't tell from the hanger - you have to try them on. Can't wait to see your pics! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results