shape
carat
color
clarity

color H, clarity VS2 or SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

petersong

Rough_Rock
I want to buy a whiteFlash ACA diamond. But my questions are as following. And I really appreciate your helps.

1. Is the color H good enough to make the diamond look WHITE?
2. I think the VS2 should be eye-clean? What about SI1?

petersong

Rough_Rock
Sorry to add something. My third question is:

see I have a 1.5 F/G VS2 ACA, and the other one is 1.5. H SI1, Can we see some differences by briefly comparing two diamonds?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What is the second q? I don't understand...you mean comparing the color? Is the H stone also an ideal cut stone?

edited: this was posted b/f your second q
As for clarity, there is no way to tell. You need to see the stone.
As for color, you're also going to have to take a look yourself. No one would look at an H and say it's a yellow stone. However, if you hold it right next to an D-F...well, it won't look as white and crisp in my opinion. Right next to a g?- well, most will say no difference.... I am very color sensitive so I dunno for sure....But in most lights, it would be so hard if not impossible. I was just at a local place looking at nice juicy rounds for fun...under those lights i could absolutely not tell.....and an H is a very nice color to pick ...

petersong

Rough_Rock
So, you mean even if VS2, sometime, we may see something by our eyes?

As for clarity, there is no way to tell. You need to see the stone.
As for color, you''re also going to have to take a look yourself. No one would look at an H and say it''s a yellow stone. However, if you hold it right next to an D-F...well, it won''t look as white and crisp in my opinion. Right next to a g?- well, most will say no difference.... I am very color sensitive so I dunno for sure....But an H is a very nice color to pick ...

petersong

Rough_Rock
What I mean for the second one, comparing the overall feeling or experience..

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think that a vs2 is a safe bet...and unless you're psycho like me...who will put their eyeball up to the stone under bathroom lights after finding the inclusion with a loupe and then always trying to see if I can find it....yes, you might be able to see it. Some vs2s are better than others. But for the *vast*majority I would say, it's a safe bet...that's the clarity I aim for... (only b/c I'm an eagle eye) But I would absolutely LOVE a nice eye clean si1! A lot has to do with the size and color and location of the inclusion... And in any event, only you will be able to see any inclusions. People don't look that closely...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as mmm said, the si stone will have to be seen to know for sure. there are certainly some very eye clean si''s out there, hopefully this is one of them.
as far as color, face up you will not be able to tell the difference. for example, if you hold them side by side and view them from the top, they will look he same. if you hold the side by side and view them through the pavilion, you may notice some color in the h.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
although in natural lights, I can usually pick the better color... when I take them out of the jeweler''s lights
11.gif
I think vendors hate me, I''m always browsing and not buying
16.gif

petersong

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your such an Internet-speed response. So, if you have time, could you please give me some of your ideas on these three diamonds?

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6203907
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6191408
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5950003

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you would be happy with any of those stones, but if #3 checks out to be eye clean, that would be my choice.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
I own two ACA H SI1 stones from Whiteflash. My stones are both blinding white, and I never see color in them. There is no yellow at all, in any light. The only time I saw color was when I got the first stone loose and I put it upside-down on white paper- but you never look at a stone that way when it''s set. Set, I can''t tell the difference between my stone and F or G, but I can see a slight difference when it''s right next to an E, and even then it doesn''t look yellow at all, just not as icy as the E.

I still can''t find the inclusions in either stone, even with the loupe and the cert for reference. I cannot see anything at all with my naked eye, and believe me, I have scrutinized both stones from 2 inches away!!
2.gif
I have pretty sharp eyes, and I''m sensitive to inclusions- I was very nervous going with SI1. My stones are great, but SI1''s are not guaranteed that you can''t see anything, so I would ask WF if the stones are eye-clean, they will tell you if they can see anything. Some people can see inclusions in VS2 as well, you just have to see the stone for yourself and see if it''s clean. Good luck!

petersong

Rough_Rock
Then I think I would be relax about either of these stones. Because I am not so critical about these little things. But my wife wants to insure something, agaiin, I guess it is what we called here: mentally clean.

Then goes back the stupid and talked-many-many-times topic:

Why we should pay such a high 20% premier to such a ACA diamond?

Thanks first.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
20% premium over what?

petersong

Rough_Rock
I think it is 20% price higher than an averaged ideal cut diamond?

set2374

Rough_Rock
It''s funny how one person''s "eye clean" is another person''s lump of coal. Although I am hardly an expert, I can''t imagine that a GIA or AGS VS2 would not be "eye clean" in the opinion of 99% percent of the people out there (including experts). I guess in SI''s there''s less certainty on this issue which means you have to do a little more work to find the right stone, but there is substantial savings. I am personally looking at SI2s and have found a number of stones that are wonderfully clear and others that looked a little on the yucky side. If you go with a GIA or AGS VS2 I think you''re probably guaranteeing yourself an "eyeclean" stone. I think you''re pretty safe with SI1 too, but you''ll have to really examine the stone to draw your own conclusions. As for color, I agree with Belle. A nicely cut H is going to hard to distinguish from the F/G you are describing. I am not really that color sensitive though. I don''t really start to notice any yellow until you reach the I''s.. and then only on the borderline I''s that got the benefit of the doubt from the grader. For me, I need to see a two to three grade difference before the color change becomes noticeable. Put an E next to a G face down and I can tell a difference, face up nada. From what I can tell, I don''t think you can go wrong with any of the stones you''re looking at. You''re already starting from a pretty high point. PS is a strange little enclave where people really become diamond connesieurs and we focus on things that most of the world would probably not care much about.

I like to compare diamonds to wine. I can tell the difference between an $8.99 merlot on clearance at the local liquor store and a $50.00 dry Italian and $400.00 super tuscan. But when you start comparing the better $50 bottles and the $400.00 bottles, the differences, if any, to my palet are far less noticeable. The wine freak, however will notice all the subtleties and nuances in flavor, acidity, viscosity etc. Maybe John from WF or Cut Nut Gary can tell the difference between an D IF and an E VVS2, but can you or anyone else? In my opinion (as unimformed as it may be), I think it''s pretty hard to tell the difference between a VS2 and SI1 in 90% of the diamonds out there. That''s something to think about if you happen to be working within a certain budget (which may not be an issue for you). Hope this helps a little. :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you saying that the brand name ''a cut above'' diamonds are priced 20% higher than other ideal h&a diamonds, or that ideal h&a diamonds are priced 20% higher than non h&a ideals?

maybe it would help me understand your question, if you gave some examples.

petersong

Rough_Rock
Thanks. My budget is flexible between $10000 to $11000. My goal is : G/H, VS2/SI1, over 1.5, and H&A.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many people that buy from whiteflash and look at SI1 stones call them up and ask if it''s eye clean or not. They are very honest about telling you where the inclusions are etc... Good luck, that''s a nice budget!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
for your budget, any of those stones you selected would be perfect.

i still don''t know where you are getting the 20% premium from...i ran a search and aca is only about 10% higher than average non h&a ideals. i don''t know about you, but to me 10% is worth well worth the guarantee of superior quality.

petersong

Rough_Rock
Really? My dream is G, VS2, Over 1.5, ACA, $11000 but nothing is available yet.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2005 9:16:13 AM
Author: petersong

see I have a 1.5 F/G VS2 ACA, and the other one is 1.5. H SI1, Can we see some differences by briefly comparing two diamonds?

I have not seen these two but I would not expect any visible difference ue to color or clarity. Oh well.. you know - if the particular SI1 considered has a black spot right in the midle than that woul make a difference, but chances are this is not the case. The color difference would in any case be too subtle for me to care about.

How about THIS piece

1.55cts G SI1 DCD Signature Round & AGS
$11,804
Measurements: 7.47x7.50x4.58
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 54%
No Fluorescence...
HCA 0.5 ! (Ex-Ex-Ex-Ex-Vg)

On top of everything ele, the inclusions are very scattered minuscule feathers - I bet it would take a while to even hunt them down with a loupe... But it is somewhat more expensive than you wanted and comes from a different seller allright.

I am sure you have not left one stone unturned at WF, but how about their H-VS2 ? And comes out a winner, IMO, compared to a branded H-SI1 priced about the same. Just how similar they are ? Well... it is farely hard to tell them apart in the very analytical IS pictures. Whether the cut makes more of a difference or clarity does between these two is a philosophical not practical question - at least to me (i.e. a non-fanatical admirer of H&As).

Of course I cannot argue with WF about what makes one ACA and the other not... They are the authority here and have the stones. However, a bit ago such IS images were talke about in this forum as twoflavors of the H&A cut, one showing slightly more contrast tha another. You might find such comments by dilligently browsing Garry's ('Cut Nut*) posts, but that might take a while.

There might be 1.5cts G/VS2 H&Aa aound, but Iwould expect the price to be a bit more than 11k. Who knows though... it neverhurts to ask a seller (WF included) if they might have something to recommend.

A little nder 11k, Superbcert (exceldiamonds.com now) has this 1.4 cts G-VS2 H&A

These four diamonds mentione here are vaguely different in size from 7.1mm for tha 1.4cts to 7.5for the 1.55cts DCD piece - it would probably show a tiny bit. Color and clarity and cut differences even less than that as far as I can tell.

Just my 0.2
1.gif
'hope this is more helpful than confusing !

petersong

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your opinion!!!

petersong

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU SO MUCH... Valiria100.

Plese see my comments below.

I have not seen these two but I would not expect any visible difference ue to color or clarity. Oh well.. you know - if the particular SI1 considered has a black spot right in the midle than that woul make a difference, but chances are this is not the case. The color difference would in any case be too subtle for me to care about.

How about THIS piece

1.55cts G SI1 DCD Signature Round & AGS
$11,804
Measurements: 7.47x7.50x4.58
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 54%
No Fluorescence...
HCA 0.5 ! (Ex-Ex-Ex-Ex-Vg)

[PeterSong: two concerns for this one: How do I trust their signature round? At least I know there is a cut master in whiteflash even he does not cut. I am a bit of big fan of brandname if I can afford it. Secondly, ]

On top of everything ele, the inclusions are very scattered minuscule feathers - I bet it would take a while to even hunt them down with a loupe... But it is somewhat more expensive than you wanted and comes from a different seller allright.

I am sure you have not left one stone unturned at WF, but how about their H-VS2 ? And comes out a winner, IMO, compared to a branded H-SI1 priced about the same. Just how similar they are ? Well... it is farely hard to tell them apart in the very analytical IS pictures. Whether the cut makes more of a difference or clarity does between these two is a philosophical not practical question - at least to me (i.e. a non-fanatical admirer of H&As).

[PeterSong: the value including brandname cost, labor cost, and so on. So, I believe all H&As will not give us any significant diff when we compare it with ideal cut ones by our naked eyes. However, by adding labor cost, brandname cost, e.g. ACA, Tiffiny], H&A is a value-added product. Plus the big factor maybe called weighted consumer-satisfaction factor. It means I FEEL happy to THINK I have a PERFECT ONE even if it is a fake diamond :) This is totally my own opinion even my wife does not care about this idea...

Of course I cannot argue with WF about what makes one ACA and the other not... They are the authority here and have the stones. However, a bit ago such IS images were talke about in this forum as twoflavors of the H&A cut, one showing slightly more contrast tha another. You might find such comments by dilligently browsing Garry''s (''Cut Nut*) posts, but that might take a while.

There might be 1.5cts G/VS2 H&Aa aound, but Iwould expect the price to be a bit more than 11k. Who knows though... it neverhurts to ask a seller (WF included) if they might have something to recommend.

A little nder 11k, Superbcert (exceldiamonds.com now) has this 1.4 cts G-VS2 H&A

[Thanks again for your hard help! I think cost of 1.4 less than the cost of 1.5? We better stick to 1.5 which is weighted to a better value per carat?]

These four diamonds mentione here are vaguely different in size from 7.1mm for tha 1.4cts to 7.5for the 1.55cts DCD piece - it would probably show a tiny bit. Color and clarity and cut differences even less than that as far as I can tell.

Just my 0.2 ''hope this is more helpful than confusing !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results