shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Change sapphire with peridot as sidestones??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I was thinking of setting 2 oval or pear shape peridots beside this Color Change Sapphire on the 18k white gold ring. I like halo! and it can 'protect' the stones too. Do you think that the colors might 'clash'? Would you prefer an oval or a pear shape peridot? Will the tip of the pear prone to chip due to the fact that its a soft stone? What should the size of the peridot be? Ideas and photo most welcome!

CC Sapphire Size(WxLxH): 8.6 x 6.5 x 3.9
Violet to purplish red

cc sapphire.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pear tips are usually protected by a v-prong or chevron prongs. I’m rather confused that you wanted an everyday center stone like a sapphire yet chose very soft side stones like peridots. Peridots are not recommended in everyday wear rings. They are soft and the facet edges will wear down pretty quickly, becoming a dull looking stone. They are best as earrings and pendants or the occasional wear ring.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
There are many concerns to think about when it comes to this idea, not just the size and shape of sidestones. Whether they''re peridots or something else, color combo should be nice with either of the two looks of that sapphire. BTW, do you have the sapphire with you, or we can only assume it''s color(s) from the photo? Since it changes from blue to red it''s probably violetish blue and purplish red, and those shades aren''t easy to mix with light yellowish green of peridots. Are you sure about the white metal idea? I know it''s only a matter of taste and if you like colorful jewellery, there''s no reason not to go with this idea, but if you think it might be too much I''d suggest going with yellow gold. In fact, green gold (which is not really green but only a greenish shade of yellow gold - mochi has a chrysoberyl bezel set in green gold; LINK) could be used and make it one heck of a ring. Green gold would work well with peridots and compliment them, while allowing that center stone to be the star. Not to mention that it''s color would work with either, violet-blue or purple-red of the sapphire. Let''s me know your thoughts and we can take it from there.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hey Chrono! you set me thinking..ya..I seems to overlook the fact that I would want the sapphire ring to be a everyday ring. I will probably set the peridot as a stone on its own and limit it to occasional wear:)

Hi Ma re that is a nice ring! I am after a cushion cut too. That''s a great reference! I agree that peridot goes well with a slight yellowish/greenish gold. However, both these color simply doesn''t go with my skin color.. hence I will be sticking to 18k white gold or platinum. I usually go for platinum settings for diamonds and 18k white gold for color stone:)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 11:40:43 AM
Author: chictomato

Hi Ma re that is a nice ring! I am after a cushion cut too.
Just a slight correction, mochi''s chrysoberyl is an asscher cut, not a cushion
2.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
oops noted! Tks

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So do you still want sidestones to go with that Sapp? Maybe diamonds because they match everything and are 24/7 stones.

Or white Sapp?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mm..nope, not using it as sidestone:) Yes will be considering diamond or none at all:)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Chrysoberyl comes in almost exactly the same shade as peridot, but is one of the most durable gemstone in general. Definately tough enough for daily wear, quite brilliant and not too expensive (and you''d have a better chance of finding smaller ones, to use as sides, than with peridot).

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks Ma re! will continue looking around:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results