shape
carat
color
clarity

color change diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
I recently saw a ''color change diamond'' advertised somewhere. Is this for real? How does it change? What colors? Is this a myth or a scam?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Chameleon diamonds can go from a stable greenish to transient yellow with heating or dark to light conditions (here going from yellow to green in a minute or so). This is thought to be due to hydrogen content of the stone.

These are not common and mainly collectors'' items.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a GIA report identifying a diamond as "Chameleon". The actual color change characteristic of the stone identified by this report was subtle.
The way to see the most drastic change was to first put the diamond in a dark place for about a day. When you take it out it''s kind of greenish. Then I took the dimaond and put it on a galvanized steel scoop and heated it from below with a Bic lighter. The diamond changes to a more orangish shade. BUt it''s not like a black and white difference.
I haven''t seen many others, and none that I''ve seen had very dramatic changes

chcert.JPG

change1.JPG
change2.JPG

Both photos taken under fluorescent diamond lamp

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder how the GIA determined this? Do they put all their stones in a dark box for days and then heat them up?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2005 10
6.gif
6.gif
7 PM
Author: crankydave
Out of curiosity...

I''ve come across a couple of stones. One was an I-J color the other had an almost moissanite green color to it. Neither was certed (that I was aware of). Both stones when heated turned bright yellow. Very distinctive change. Is this a different phenomenon than what would be described as a ''chameleon''?

Dave
Hi Dave....

Everyone should be aware that there are synthetic man made chameleons in the marketplace.

I own one that I bought years ago. The color change is dramatic from bright yellow to slightly greyish green. The full change does take a little time. The longer it is exposed to light the more complete the change.

Because of the rarity of this type of stone, I haven''t seen many of them. but I have seen a greenish one that changed to a to an orangy color. I''ve also seen one that had a very light change that was in the collection of a major diamond dealer, who when he saw mine said that in comparison his was a sheilmeon.

The instensity of the change is paramount to value differences.

Diamond Expert (Gary) paid me a visit some time ago when he was in Florida, and he saw mine. It does have a GIA report that it is natural and does have the GIA''s standard "known in the trade as chameleon" on the cert.

I have tried a lot of times to successfully photograph it but getting the yellow color face up is difficult to do.

Dave ... does your stone appear yellow when first exposed to light without heating ? How long does it take to make the change? Do you have a spectrum analysis of it? Is it fluorescent?

This phomenon that the chameleons have is called phosphoresence. The difference is that phosphorescence continues after the stone is exposed where normal fluoresence doesn''t. This is why it takes 24-48 hours without heat to revert its color change.

Rockdoc

I have also seen other so called chameleons

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results