carat
color
clarity

Color Change Demantoid Garnet?

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an excellent thread on the subject: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/namibian-demantoid.136496/

Good work on your gemologist degree!
36.gif

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! - I need to update my course status.

I will check that thread out....

pocadot

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 12:30:04 PM
Author:rparker1998
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-66ct-Uncommon-Color-Change-Green-Demantoid-Garnet_W0QQitemZ320295172262QQcategoryZ110804QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7682287418588322161

I didn''t know demantoid could be a color change stone? I know PS''ers have used this vendor before and he is one of the recommended ebay vendors.

Please clear up my confusion about this demantoid.....

Thanks!

Hi rparker1998! I actually have a demantoid with a slight color shift. In daylight, it is a vibrant lime green, and in dim incandescent light it is a very pretty golden green. This may not make it the ideal demantoid color, but being a huge fan of the color change phenomena in general, I cherish my demantoid. I''ve attached a vendor pic from Michael at gemline. Sorry that I don''t have a pic of the golden color change. If Michael hadn''t told me about it before my purchase, I would''ve thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
19.gif

That stone you posted is interesting - I''ve never seen demantoid shift into that brownish orange color before. The closest I''ve seen is the brown yellow color that the topazolite variety of andradite exhibits. But as far as I know, topazolite does not exhibit any green coloration as it lacks chromium. Maybe it is a demantoid/topazolite mix as in this gem: http://litnon.com/preview.php?cat=50&id=6991

There are many PSers who have much more experience with demantoid, so hopefully they can weigh in. Hope that helped
21.gif

my demantoid.jpg

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would love to get my hands on a color shift demantoid...or any demantoid that is bigger than a piece of sand...lol

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 1:27:18 PM
Author: pocadot

Date: 6/20/2010 12:30:04 PM
Author:rparker1998
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-66ct-Uncommon-Color-Change-Green-Demantoid-Garnet_W0QQitemZ320295172262QQcategoryZ110804QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7682287418588322161

I didn''t know demantoid could be a color change stone? I know PS''ers have used this vendor before and he is one of the recommended ebay vendors.

Please clear up my confusion about this demantoid.....

Thanks!

Hi rparker1998! I actually have a demantoid with a slight color shift. In daylight, it is a vibrant lime green, and in dim incandescent light it is a very pretty golden green. This may not make it the ideal demantoid color, but being a huge fan of the color change phenomena in general, I cherish my demantoid. I''ve attached a vendor pic from Michael at gemline. Sorry that I don''t have a pic of the golden color change. If Michael hadn''t told me about it before my purchase, I would''ve thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
19.gif

That stone you posted is interesting - I''ve never seen demantoid shift into that brownish orange color before. The closest I''ve seen is the brown yellow color that the topazolite variety of andradite exhibits. But as far as I know, topazolite does not exhibit any green coloration as it lacks chromium. Maybe it is a demantoid/topazolite mix as in this gem: http://litnon.com/preview.php?cat=50&id=6991

There are many PSers who have much more experience with demantoid, so hopefully they can weigh in. Hope that helped
21.gif

Have you ever seen in person a Turkish Diaspore aka Zultanite?

I have 2 pieces and my mom has one and it''s an awesome stone. I love the different colors. Pinks, Kiwis, champagnes, greens, Roses.

pocadot

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 1:39:46 PM
Author: rparker1998
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would love to get my hands on a color shift demantoid...or any demantoid that is bigger than a piece of sand...lol

It''s no problem! So many people share their experiences on these forums daily, making it a very valuable resource.

My demantoid is an old mine Russian stone, mainly because I love the mystique and history of the Russian gems. I did have to do a bit of financial planning before buying it. You can find stunning Namibian gems with incredible dispersion at very affordable prices (sub $100)if you really do want to own one
22.gif

pocadot

Rough_Rock

I have 2 pieces and my mom has one and it''s an awesome stone. I love the different colors. Pinks, Kiwis, champagnes, greens, Roses.[/quote]

Funny that you mention it! No, I have not been fortunate enough to see color change diaspore in person. I was actually searching for a well-priced color change diaspore last month, but changed my mind after learning that it was not a good gem to set in a ring. I have spoken to a precision gem cutter who said that he would never recommend putting it in a ring as it is very prone to chipping. I always opt for setting my gems in right hand rings - it makes them easier for me to look at
30.gif

In terms of the range of colors they exhibit, it would be a perfect stone for me since I tend to gravitate towards earthy colors. It''s too bad the stone has perfect cleavage
38.gif

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
If you are into color change stones, check out the seller oilpearl on ebay. They have lots of fun color change stones that you can sometimes get at a decent price. I have purchased a few stones from them and have been satisfied for the price I paid and the feedback listed on toolhaus isn''t too bad.

The colorchange demantoid (1.66ct) is more of an olive green than a true green, but it does show color change. The non-color change demantoid (2.14ct) that I bought from them is a more true green, but I also like the color change because I don''t mind the olive green.

I also purchased a 2.18ct color change diaspore from them that is nice, it''s not as pretty as the larger one I have (that I posted pictures on a different thread) but then I didn''t pay near as much for it either.

pocadot

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 2:27:37 PM
Author: colorluvr
If you are into color change stones, check out the seller oilpearl on ebay. They have lots of fun color change stones that you can sometimes get at a decent price. I have purchased a few stones from them and have been satisfied for the price I paid and the feedback listed on toolhaus isn''t too bad.

The colorchange demantoid (1.66ct) is more of an olive green than a true green, but it does show color change. The non-color change demantoid (2.14ct) that I bought from them is a more true green, but I also like the color change because I don''t mind the olive green.

I also purchased a 2.18ct color change diaspore from them that is nice, it''s not as pretty as the larger one I have (that I posted pictures on a different thread) but then I didn''t pay near as much for it either.
Thanks for the suggestion colorluvr! I have a feeling that my wallet will weigh a little less after checking out that ebay store...

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 2:04:59 PM
Author: pocadot

I have 2 pieces and my mom has one and it''s an awesome stone. I love the different colors. Pinks, Kiwis, champagnes, greens, Roses.

Funny that you mention it! No, I have not been fortunate enough to see color change diaspore in person. I was actually searching for a well-priced color change diaspore last month, but changed my mind after learning that it was not a good gem to set in a ring. I have spoken to a precision gem cutter who said that he would never recommend putting it in a ring as it is very prone to chipping. I always opt for setting my gems in right hand rings - it makes them easier for me to look at
30.gif

In terms of the range of colors they exhibit, it would be a perfect stone for me since I tend to gravitate towards earthy colors. It''s too bad the stone has perfect cleavage
38.gif
[/quote]
Well allow me to say I must be extremely lucky then because I am VERY hard on my jewelry and have owned those 2 pieces for 2 years now and wear them as RHR''s often. The one I have is set in white gold with diamonds, and my wedding set it white gold also, so I wear it a lot. Never have had any problems with mine at all, nor has my mother. *knock''s on wood - aka her head*

As for the color change, my moms displays different colors than mine, her is often more the kiwi and strawberries where mine is more the champagnes, kiwis and strawberries. They are definately lighter than what I would say would be earth tones. I would say they remind me of the very soft earth tones, not pastels - but in that same soft zone.....if that makes sense. I wear mine with my dark earth tone browns and greens.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 2:27:37 PM
Author: colorluvr

You are a very very bad bad influence....
emwink.gif
19.gif
18.gif
36.gif
*searches ebay in another browser window for oilpear and bookmarks her*

I just bought a couple of stones from Tan on ebay. I can''t wait to get them....I wonder what the shipping timeframe will be

pocadot

Rough_Rock
Man, oh man rparker. Just when I removed color change diaspore from my must-have list! It''ll still have to wait a few months though, as I have recently made several big purchases. Thanks for the info!
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results