shape
carat
color
clarity

Color and clarity issue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Sorry I pressed enter and posted the thread before I could type it up.

-------

I'm currently looking at these two rings:
Synthetic sapphires - real diamonds -10Karat white gold
Diamond color is I-J, clarity is I2
Treatment code N (diamond) and CR (created sapphire)

Real sappphires - real diamonds - 14 Karat White Gold.
J-K diamond color, I2-I3 diamond clarity
Treatment code N (diamond), E (sapphire)

The ring with the real sapphires and 14K white gold is more expensive of course. I'm more concerned about how good it will look though. The synthetic looks like it has darker sapphires but has better rated diamonds in it.

Which one should I get...??

Thanks a ton,

Mark

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
The I2/I3 clarity of the diamonds concern me. They may be so included that they appear milky, cloudy or gray. You might want to consider the SI range.

I''m also concerned about the genuine sapphires being too dark in real life, with not enough of the blue color showing.

So you may receive a ring in the mail with black, opaque sapphires and cloudy, lifeless diamonds.

How much are they asking for these rings? You essentially may get what you pay for in the end.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones in both rings are quite dark, and the clarity on the diamonds gives me pause as well. I2-3 means possibly cloudy "frozen spit" quality. Even though both pictures look like stock pictures (single picture of all the rings, not the actual ring you are buying), I''d pass on both.

bikes333

Rough_Rock
I''d pass but I have yet to find this "pattern" of ring. ( the criss cross of sapphires and diamonds on a white gold ring. )

they''re asking 200 for the lab created and 300 for the natural sapphire one.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are those sapphire cabochons?

bikes333

Rough_Rock
I believe they are.

The ring is just so beautiful it''s hard to not buy the ring.

*it''s for my girlfriend of three year''s Christmas present*

bikes333

Rough_Rock
So... what do you guys think..??

The Sapphire cabochons change things...?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry it doesn''t for me.

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Well do you know of anywhere that would sell that kind of ring...?

The ring on other websites is 550 euros so about 800 some US dollars....

They want around 240 for the all natural one and about 190 for the half natural have synthetic ring.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
for me cabs wouldn''t be the issue: i don''t care for 10k gold....or 14K gold for that matter. however, i''ve seen a few pieces of 14k that i thought were attractive.

http://www.pointersjewelers.com/faqs.htm
. What is the difference between 10k, 14k and 18k gold?
The amount of alloy that is added to pure gold. Using the European scale of measurement, 1000=pure or 24k gold. Pure gold or 24k gold is seldom used in jewelry because it''s too soft. Alloys such as copper, silver, zinc and nickel are added to give the gold more strength and color. The percentage of these alloys are what determine the karat designation and value. 10kt gold is .416% gold and .584% alloy. Using the American standard of 24k being pure gold, 10k gold is 10 parts gold and 14 parts alloy. 14k gold is .585% gold and .415% alloy or 14 parts gold and 10 parts alloy. 18k gold is .750% gold and .25% alloy or 18 parts gold and 6 parts alloy. The blending of different alloys also determine the coloration of gold, such as white gold, yellow gold, rose gold and black gold.

i''m not sure what the cost is on either of the two rings you linked to.....but i''m thinking you can do better.

mz

ps you do know of course that not everyone is as picky as we are, right?! not everyone is going to be as critical re the diamonds.....sometimes i envy those folks!

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Movie zombie.

Like i said, it''s just a Christmas present... and i''ll be spending another hundred at least for her other Christmas present...

Here''s the link to the two different rings:

Less
More

They''ve adjusted the prices by the looks of it :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it may be just a christmas present but we''re a rather picky bunch......

having said that, i prefer any of the bands w/o diamonds. even the 10K simple sapphire band w/o diamonds for under $100.

they look simple, uncluttered and gift worthy.

mz

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I''ve noticed^ ^

I got her a ring the first year we were together. It wasn''t that expensive. It was a 14K White Gold ring with a single Ruby and trios of diamonds on either side

( )

*= diamond
( )= the ruby

It is a very petite ring and she loves it / wears it everyday.

So... I dno, I just really love the design of this ring. She''s not one to be like oh gee the sapphires aren''t clear enough or uff these diamonds aren''t clear enough, etc.

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Wow! That is a neat ring :) sadly.. she wears about a size 5 or 5.5 and it says it can NOT be resized :/

So even though you guys would pass on both the rings... which would would be preferred if you HAD to get one.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know her.....we, obviously, do not. you know what she''ll like. if you think she''ll like either one then i think you''re safe either way.

good luck!

mz

ps she was happy with your first purchase: trust your gut feeling on this one!

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Righto, thanks for the info.

Just wondering... movie zombie, would you get the natural or the synthetic. Seeing the pros and cons... ?

I'm just trying to get someone's opinion or two.

p.s. I'm open to other suggestions ( similar designs )

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
push come to shove i''d get #2: the real thing...real stones and 14k gold. i wouldn''t worry about the diamonds that much unless they end up looking horrible. check the return policy. if its good, get the 2nd one and send it back if you don''t like how it looks. pictures are never...well, 99.9% of the time....accurate.

um, though, i''d want to know the treatment on the cabs: sapphires in that price range are often treated. heat is ok in my book. but that''s me. you may not be able to get that info though.

mz

ps admittedly, you''ve asked one of the few persons here who admits to not even liking diamonds....unless they''re in color!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overstock sapphires have a treatment code of E (which means everything...lol ok just kidding) It really dosen't say what E really means except its been enhanced.

Personally I only get rings from there with a treatment code of N (which means I don't get much in the way of rings!)

But its really your call, though I personally don't dig synthetic stones. If you're not sure if your girlfriend does or dosen't, you may want to find out first.

-A

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply,

Here''s the treatment the Real Sapphires got: E ( seems most of their stuff is this )

E: Those natural stones which are routinely enhanced by traditional methods, the particular stone given this designation, may or may not be enhanced. For example, since most emeralds are oiled an E would indicate such treatment, but would not cover non-traditional methods such as hardened plastic resins (like Opticon) which would require specific enhancement codes such as those listed below. Another example would be the use of E for aquamarine, which in most cases is heated prior to the sale of the rough to remove greenish tints. If the seller knows what specific treatment has been used, then a more specific code should be used.

I''ve purchased lots of stuff from this website and returns aren''t difficult.

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Any more input is more than welcome :)

I plan on buying one of them soon. If the sapphires and diamonds don't meet my expectations then I'll return it and get the other one. ( which I'll return if it isn't very good looking either )

Ah the joys of planning ahead / shopping BEFORE the Christmas season

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go for the real over the synthetic, as I wear and am happy with 14kt gold, and prefer it over 10kt gold.

Some other options you may want to consider:

This ring looks quite nice. The synthetic is $230, and the real starts at $250 and goes up to $450, depending on the quality of the sapphire. They also have a 10% off sale going on right now, and a lot of time if you start browsing their site they''ll ask you to take a survey and get a coupon for $50.

This ring has a similar style to yours, but comes in at a lower price for 14kt gold.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 10:59:54 PM
Author: AustenNut
I''d go for the real over the synthetic, as I wear and am happy with 14kt gold, and prefer it over 10kt gold.

Some other options you may want to consider:

This ring looks quite nice. The synthetic is $230, and the real starts at $250 and goes up to $450, depending on the quality of the sapphire. They also have a 10% off sale going on right now, and a lot of time if you start browsing their site they''ll ask you to take a survey and get a coupon for $50.

This ring has a similar style to yours, but comes in at a lower price for 14kt gold.
prefer the 2nd one as it is not a synthetic sapphire.

re E=enhanced

sapphires unfortunately have many types of regular enhancement. heat would be ok. BE-treated would not [not for my $]...and it is regularly done. however, i think most buyers wouldn''t know 1-that sapphires are routinely enhanced and 2-there are different types of enhancement, some less desireable than others.

i don''t think you''re as concerned about some things as some of us here are....and that''s not necessarily a bad thing.

don''t rely on us: some of us are very picky. you know your girl''s taste. you know she liked the prior ring you bought for her. get what pleases your eye....not ours!

mz

bikes333

Rough_Rock
What''s BE-treated
6.gif

I searched online but didn''t come up with anything.

If the natural will look alright I''m going for it :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2009 4:14:48 PM
Author: bikes333
What''s BE-treated
6.gif

I searched online but didn''t come up with anything.

If the natural will look alright I''m going for it :)
Beryllium diffusion = dyeing of the gemstone to make it look better but it is a permanent treatment.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphires

see reference to beryllium......

natural is the way to go, imo.

however, given i could never afford a really fine high quality ruby, i might succumb to the lure of a synthetic.....heresy, i''m speaking heresy!

mz

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would go with the natural stones. I am picky and the 10 kt gold would bother me as well as the synthetic stone.

Go ahead and order it and just keep looking so that you find a backup if you don''t like it when you see it!

HTH

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 4:46:11 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I too would go with the natural stones. I am picky and the 10 kt gold would bother me as well as the synthetic stone.

Go ahead and order it and just keep looking so that you find a backup if you don't like it when you see it!

HTH
good advice!

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results