shape
carat
color
clarity

Color accessories with a white dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
I am facing a bit of a conundrum with my wedding ensemble and would love some input from the peanut gallery.

I am a theatre geek marrying another theatre geek on Halloween this year. I have never been a wedding person, never fantasized about it or wanted it, but alas, I fell in love and here I am! I have sort of been against the idea of a white wedding dress from the start. I don''t own a single stitch of white clothing, so why should I wear it on one of the landmark days of my life?

I went to Boston last Friday for the Filenes Basement sale and really lucked out. I tried on this beautiful period-looking ball gown with gorgeous embroidery that fit me really well. And, it was $50 under my budget! So it was a no brainer and I purchased it.

Although I am happy with it, I really feel like I need to add drama and flair to make it reflect me more. The only thing I am really bummed about with it is that it has no color. Would it be strange to add a colored bolero to a white dress? Or colored gloves? I would love an eggplant colored bolero. Also I was considering doing a feather fascinator with a cage veil. I want it to be classic glamor, but still fun without looking tacky.

Have any of you PSers seen examples of brides who have accessorized with color well? I think I need some inspiration!

I''ll attach some pictures of my dress to give you a visual... (please excuse the white balance of the first two pics, my WB on my camera wasn''t set correctly. The dress is ivory)

IrisAccentsWeddingDressFront.jpg

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
From the side...

IrisAccentsWeddingDressSide.jpg

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
And the beautiful period-esque pleating of the back...under completely different lights! (undressing in public at the Running of the Brides was the worst part!)

IrisAccentsWeddingDressBack.jpg

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
Oh! I just realized I didn''t mention that the wedding is a masquerade ball theme- hence why I was so excited about the dress looking old fashioned.
26.gif

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
That''s a beautiful dress
1.gif
and-- it''s your wedding- you can add color if you want! I plan on having a white tea length 50''s style dress with cobalt crinoline underneath and bright blue shoes :)

SO- go with what makes you happy, and what you feel gorgeous in!
1.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous dress!!!!! yay for the running of the brides!!! you look fantastic in it!!!

I wore red shoes to add a splash of color, if you want more than that, and since you are getting married in late Oct. I''d have a gorgeous bolero made (check out Freke''s awesome cobalt blue bolero she had made by an etsy seller) AN wear cool shoes. Plus if it''s a maquerade ball I hope you have an awesome mask
2.gif

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
lilmiss- I read that you were using the colored crinoline in another thread and LOVE that idea! If we weren''t having a masquerade ball, I would have gone with 50''s- I''m sure you will look super cute!

Bella- what''s funny is I was searching etsy for boleros, and I saw a pic of Freke on one of the sites! Hers was beautiful!

Could I do a solid satin bolero with the lace cap sleeves? I feel like they would show underneath and look strange?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Iris...check out Freke''s wedding pics. She had a GORGEOUS blue bolero with her silvery dress. I''m not sure how it would work with cap sleeves, but I''m sure it would be doable!

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha, if we weren''t going for 50''s, we''d totally go for masquerade ball! In fact, maybe we''ll have a themed rehearsal dinner!...
31.gif

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I know they''re not for everyone, but how about a fascinator? I''m sure you could find (or have one made) in your colors...

fascinator.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I think everyone knows I'm going to say DO IT!

You could totally message some etsy people with pics of your dress and they can figure out something around it. That's basically what I did, and I loved the finished product!
1.gif

I love the dress. It looks like it fits wonderfully! Do you even have any alterations that need to be done?

ETA: Shoes, jewelry, bolero, capelets (that would be SO COOL with a masquerade ball theme), fascinators, a cool colored veil...etc etc etc!

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
Freke- the only alterations I need to have are to make it so it can be bustled for the ceremony, and fix the cap sleeves. They are too big and don''t stay put. Other than that, my dress is good to go!

Capelet....interesting
31.gif

I am definitely planning to rock a cocktail hat/fascinator of some sort with a cage veil. I guess if there are enough color accents it will make the overall look less traditional bride and more fun. And heck yes I am going to be making my own mask for myself and the hubs. We plan to use a lot of peacock feathers.

Thanks for your responses guys
36.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 10:28:34 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
gorgeous dress!!!!! yay for the running of the brides!!! you look fantastic in it!!!

I wore red shoes to add a splash of color, if you want more than that, and since you are getting married in late Oct. I''d have a gorgeous bolero made (check out Freke''s awesome cobalt blue bolero she had made by an etsy seller) AN wear cool shoes. Plus if it''s a maquerade ball I hope you have an awesome mask
2.gif

Ditto to the bolero. Beautiful dress.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Your dress is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I love it! And I think adding a splash of colour would rock it! Do it.

My dress is champagne coloured and my shoes are a deep eggplant purple! I can''t wait to have them peeking out from underneath my dress. I think I''m more excited about that, than I am the dress. LOL.

Oh and I love your theme of having a masquerade. Very cool.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
Your dress is gorgeous! I love cap sleeves, they are so beautiful! Your dress is so similar to my FSILs and I just loved her gown. She looked amazing in it as will you!

You could always have gemstone jewelery to give your look a splash of color...A bolero might be tough with cap sleeves, but im sure someone could do something to make it work!

Definitely shoes!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 10:32:06 PM
Author: IrisAccents
lilmiss- I read that you were using the colored crinoline in another thread and LOVE that idea! If we weren''t having a masquerade ball, I would have gone with 50''s- I''m sure you will look super cute!

Bella- what''s funny is I was searching etsy for boleros, and I saw a pic of Freke on one of the sites! Hers was beautiful!

Could I do a solid satin bolero with the lace cap sleeves? I feel like they would show underneath and look strange?
I think a colored crinoline would look absolutely gorgeous for the masquerade ball! An eggplant color to match some gorgeous long gloves...amazing! When you have it bustled, you could have it bustled just a little higher so as to show the crinoline slightly more. Plus, this would be so dramatic, as it would be mostly hidden for the ceremony and be a pop of color at the reception!

I think the bolero would have to be something pretty special. I love how you are going with a "period piece" and I would think the bolero/caplet would need to be something to match the "period"??

I guess I just envision the crinoline, long gloves, and something for the hair.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I think the range of accent everyone has talked about would look lovely! I do think the gloves would look best with a caplet. Unless you chose short lace gloves with a bolero. I love the idea of plum with your dress, it will just be so beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results