shape
carat
color
clarity

Coach (purse) fans...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Is anyone else totally not loving the new looks?

I've carried Coach almost exclusively (aside from my LV's) for the past 8 years...I own many of their designs and I love the company--and their good product. But recently I am so completely turned off by their new designs, it makes me feel weird inside.

The new looks are so "young"...even their more expensive bags ($600.00+) still have teenage feel to them--bright colors, cheaper materials. There is nothing "classic" in any of their purses anymore, which makes me sad. I used to know I could find a great bag there...and now it's like nothing appeals to me at all.

I know that in the recent years Coach has gained huge ground with the teen market, here in Chicago practically ever teenage girl you see carries a Coach or D&B bag (lucky girls). But it's like the brand has totally forgotten their older market who might not want a "tattoo" bag or "bling" bag for over $600.00 bucks!

Am I the only one feeling this way? Or does anyone else think that Coach is marketing itself towards a younger crowd more so now than ever before?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep,,, the last year I bought was from 2007. I have two 2006 legacy line- absolutely love, but I don't really like the new Line or their modern signature "C" either.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heh. Yeah. I felt that way about eight years ago. I think this happens often to a lot of folks & a lot of different brands. You find yourself at one point or another rubbing your eyes & realizing: not for me anymore!

Tiffany''s kinda the same way ... once I had to fight swarms of teens to get to the display cases ... lost some luster, knowwhatimean?

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree! I haven''t bought a new coach purse in a few years and I used to buy them on a fairly regular basis. I miss how they used to have a larger selection of leather/suede bags, why would I spend several hundred dollars for a piece of cloth with C''s all over it? In my area too it is very popular with teen girls, and I guess they don''t mind the new designs.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 4:37:24 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor

Am I the only one feeling this way? Or does anyone else think that Coach is marketing itself towards a younger crowd more so now than ever before?

I liken Coach to Tiffany. Similar stories- they''ve gone from classic to trendy.

I recently went to Argentina on vacation, and I''m now purse-spoiled. GORGEOUS bags galore down there! Should''ve bought more than one...
39.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 4:43:57 PM
Author: decodelighted
Heh. Yeah. I felt that way about eight years ago. I think this happens often to a lot of folks & a lot of different brands. You find yourself at one point or another rubbing your eyes & realizing: not for me anymore!

Tiffany''s kinda the same way ... once I had to fight swarms of teens to get to the display cases ... lost some luster, knowwhatimean?
I can see this...but it''s still a bummer. I did love their bags...they were affordable designer bags. They weren''t "top shelf" but they were still nice quality pieces. I guess all good things must come to an end...but I wasn''t ready to break up with Coach yet
7.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
yep, I am NOT liking the new stuff.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 4:46:30 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

Date: 6/30/2009 4:37:24 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor

I liken Coach to Tiffany. Similar stories- they''ve gone from classic to trendy.

I recently went to Argentina on vacation, and I''m now purse-spoiled. GORGEOUS bags galore down there! Should''ve bought more than one...
39.gif
Deco said the same thing about Tiffany''s...but since I''ve never really shopped there consistantly, I wouldn''t know.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 4:41:24 PM
Author: D&T
yep,,, the last year I bought was from 2007. I have two 2006 legacy line- absolutely love, but I don''t really like the new Line or their modern signature ''C'' either.
I''m sort of a bag snob. It''s really the only thing I spend serious money on. This past Christmas I given 3 bags from Coach...on was this old fashioned looking doctors back but in a chocolate with the pop-art "C"...I didn''t mind it. But today when I was looking for a summer bag via the site, it hit me like a ton of bricks how much the brand image has changed. They used to have all of these stunning leather bags...and now it''s like crazy a$$ s*** and colors and dangly things...toooooo muchhhhhh!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't fret! You'll find new brands to love! There's a world of buttery soft leather out there to discover!!! Balenciaga had a huge swell of support around here a few years back ... and then it petered out a bit. I'm sure you'll find a new love in keeping with your classic tastes!

Is Tod's too stuffy for ya? Anya Hindmarch?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m embarrassed to admit, but I haven''t been to the Coach site in ages, so I had no idea what the new styles looked like. I was just kind of "meh" on everything.

The bulk of Coach bags I own (and still carry) are leather, but none of the shapes are speaking to me at all. Oh, well - the last thing I need is a new purse.
3.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 4:44:00 PM
Author: purselover
I totally agree! I haven''t bought a new coach purse in a few years and I used to buy them on a fairly regular basis. I miss how they used to have a larger selection of leather/suede bags, why would I spend several hundred dollars for a piece of cloth with C''s all over it? In my area too it is very popular with teen girls, and I guess they don''t mind the new designs.
I''m getting all nostalgic about how fantastic they used to be...I
30.gif
Coach from my first bag...they were so well constructed, and you could tell the designers really spent time making the bag usable. Now they are all super over the top with a million zippers to these mirco pockets, they come in candy colored shades in these too-heavy winter fabrics (patent leather, hello!) in the dead of summer, they are super expensive...and I hate, hate, hate the names...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 5:00:41 PM
Don''t fret! You''ll find new brands to love! There''s a world of buttery soft leather out there to discover!!! Balenciaga had a huge swell of support around here a few years back ... and then it petered out a bit. I''m sure you''ll find a new love in keeping with your classic tastes!

Is Tod''s too stuffy for ya? Anya Hindmarch?
My fall back is going to LV. I think. I usually buy one a year...but with Coach going down the drain, I might start buying less but spending more to get what I want. Usually, because Coach is so affordable, I''d buy 6 bags a year--and even more if you count the ones I give away as gifts at Christmas...now I might only buy 2 but get "top shelf" brands...and everyone might be really shocked when they get socks from me this holiday season.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 5:00:54 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I''m embarrassed to admit, but I haven''t been to the Coach site in ages, so I had no idea what the new styles looked like. I was just kind of ''meh'' on everything.

The bulk of Coach bags I own (and still carry) are leather, but none of the shapes are speaking to me at all. Oh, well - the last thing I need is a new purse.
3.gif
Yeah, nothing is really outta this world...it''s all more or less the same purse in a multitude of colors. If you''re not into that one design/name...then you''re out of luck. I remember when they had tons of different stuff in only one or two colors or combo''s...that was my kind of Coach.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t be surprised if LV starts letting you down too ... they dabble in teen-appeal also! Branch out! You might like it out here in fancy-free land!
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2009 4:58:07 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 6/30/2009 4:41:24 PM
Author: D&T
yep,,, the last year I bought was from 2007. I have two 2006 legacy line- absolutely love, but I don't really like the new Line or their modern signature 'C' either.
I'm sort of a bag snob. It's really the only thing I spend serious money on. This past Christmas I given 3 bags from Coach...on was this old fashioned looking doctors back but in a chocolate with the pop-art 'C'...I didn't mind it. But today when I was looking for a summer bag via the site, it hit me like a ton of bricks how much the brand image has changed. They used to have all of these stunning leather bags...and now it's like crazy a$$ s*** and colors and dangly things...toooooo muchhhhhh!
I take that 2007 splurge back...lol I forgot I bought two this past christmas, the sabrina fuschia and green patent leather, carried it for about a month, and decided it wasn't for me, the duffle style as still too small and the large was too large and the length of the strap was too long for me, but I didn't like carrying satchels. - I just had to have the fuschia and green...lol but that want quickly went away when I got hit with praticallity (probably mispelled too lazy to look it up) issue
7.gif
so I sold both of them.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 5:07:02 PM
Don''t be surprised if LV starts letting you down too ... they dabble in teen-appeal also! Branch out! You might like it out here in fancy-free land!
2.gif
I''m a creature of habit when it comes to my stuff. If I like something, I buy it--and I keep buying it until it burns out. I love LV because it was something I aspired to own...it was something for the longest time I just couldn''t afford. And if I''m being honest, I''ve always looked at other designers...like Hermes, Fendi, Burberry, Marc Jacobs, Chanel...but I''ve never found something I really, really liked enough to spend a lot of cash on. I mean, they make beautiful bags...for the way I use mine, many of their designs don''t work.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fan of the classic coach bags on their website...and I much prefer the leather bags over the signature. I have not been to the site recently so I may have to check it out.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I''m not loving their new stuff either. Guess they are marketing themselves towards the younger crowd.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not really a purse lover, although I do own some high end bags (that I never use
5.gif
), but I do have a question for you.

I believe that Coach outsourced its labor to China a few years back (as well as some other high end labels, I believe prada did some outsourcing as well?) please correct me if I''m wrong, because I''m really not knowledgeable about this stuff.

I am in no way against this, but have you noticed any difference in quality? Did the price of these bags drop because of the outsourcing of labor or did it remain the same? Did they outsource labor so they could mass produce?

I''m just asking out of curiosity
37.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 5:26:20 PM
Author: snlee
I''m not loving their new stuff either. Guess they are marketing themselves towards the younger crowd.
DITTO! YUK!

Lori

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I love Coach''s classic stuff - my favorite bag of all time is the leather Carly, because it''s roomy, lovely white leather, and classic. But I don''t spend that much money on bags that are really "in season" for a few months, so I''ve been a bit disappointed at what''s being offered at Coach lately too.

Oh get this, so a girl I know (from a VERY privileged family), made a comment the other day, along the lines of "Not to sound snobby...I really like this bag, but it''s COACH."
20.gif
(uhh...she''s seen ME carrying Coach, btw.....)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 6:47:07 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I agree. I love Coach''s classic stuff - my favorite bag of all time is the leather Carly, because it''s roomy, lovely white leather, and classic. But I don''t spend that much money on bags that are really ''in season'' for a few months, so I''ve been a bit disappointed at what''s being offered at Coach lately too.

Oh get this, so a girl I know (from a VERY privileged family), made a comment the other day, along the lines of ''Not to sound snobby...I really like this bag, but it''s COACH.''
20.gif
(uhh...she''s seen ME carrying Coach, btw.....)
Coach used to be more elite than it is now. But still, that was exceptionally rude. However, I think that people who are used to buying really pricey bags look at Coach the same way as someone who is used to carrying Coach looks at a Target brand bag...while it might be a nice purse, it''s out of their traditional comfort zone. Does that mean they should look down on it? No.

I love my Carly bag too. I have it in this awesome red with big thick brass hardware. It''s a great purse, so I can feel you on that. I think, though, that when you buy a "black" or "brown" bag in leather, it''s timeless. But that''s what''s missing from Coach now, the timelessness. They are so "now" that you really do have to commit to buying often to stay current, hot pink might be cool in this moment--but next summer? Who knows. I mean, can you evenfind an attractive, modern black leather purse on Coach? Sometimes I feel like the "classics" are outdated, like they are some of the same styles my mom bought from Coach 15 years ago for herself...seriously.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
The last bag I bought was the Carly in the gold hardware. I LOVE IT so when I got another coupon this past month I went in fully ready to buy a bag...and was so disappointed...I ended up with NOTHING because I couldn''t find anything I like. I am very disappointed in them as of late, I hope they turn around.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 6:24:31 PM
Author: girlface
I''m not really a purse lover, although I do own some high end bags (that I never use
5.gif
), but I do have a question for you.

I believe that Coach outsourced its labor to China a few years back (as well as some other high end labels, I believe prada did some outsourcing as well?) please correct me if I''m wrong, because I''m really not knowledgeable about this stuff.

I am in no way against this, but have you noticed any difference in quality? Did the price of these bags drop because of the outsourcing of labor or did it remain the same? Did they outsource labor so they could mass produce?

I''m just asking out of curiosity
37.gif
I have no idea. I do know that the last time I bought a really fantastic bag from Coach that I was really
30.gif
was last summer. It was this awesome khaki signature limited edition bag with gold metallic leather and brass hardware. It was big, a bit expensive...but I used it all summer and was crazy/nuts about it. So I don''t think, for me at least, the shift of labor has anything to do with it.

I think Coach--whose direct competitor is D&B, saw the D&Bline going kid-friendly with their buttons, and bubble bees, and ice-cream bags and was like "lets get some of that market"...and they did. I mean, kids now carry Coach like it was from Express and only $25.00!! And when I say kids, I mean children...little girls who are maybe 7 or 8 have the swing purses and stuff. It''s nuts.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 7:18:36 PM
Author: Blair138
The last bag I bought was the Carly in the gold hardware. I LOVE IT so when I got another coupon this past month I went in fully ready to buy a bag...and was so disappointed...I ended up with NOTHING because I couldn''t find anything I like. I am very disappointed in them as of late, I hope they turn around.
Glad to know I''m not the only one who is like "WTF" when it comes to their new line. I hope they turn it around, too.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
You are right about the kids Italia. I bought my first Coach when I was 19 with my own cash and I thought it was SO MUCH money, that was back when the little teeny purses were en vogue, so mine was really only about $150. Now, it is ridiculous to see kids carrying the same bag as me! Whatever happened to Limited Too???

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, whenever I drive by the middleschool in our town, all the 9-12 year old girls are carrying coach purses and wearing heels. And really short skirts. Kind of sickening IMO.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 5:00:41 PM
Don''t fret! You''ll find new brands to love! There''s a world of buttery soft leather out there to discover!!! Balenciaga had a huge swell of support around here a few years back ... and then it petered out a bit. I''m sure you''ll find a new love in keeping with your classic tastes!

Is Tod''s too stuffy for ya? Anya Hindmarch?
I remember the B Bag craze, and I almost catapulted right over the edge. Almost.
2.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a couple Coach purses. But I agree, their new stuff is so teeny-bopperish. Bleh.

SO bought me this AWESOME Marc by Marc Jacobs leather bag that I''m IN LOVE with. The leather is soooo soft and I get compliments every time I wear it. It was about $500 bucks. That may be my new brand until the teens start carrying these too....

I''ll see if I can find a pic of the MJ bag I have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results