shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloth Diapers?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
PG - little Dot is still in disposables as it's what the hospital provides and it's just easier until we get home and settled. Once we have her settled at home I'll get her into cloth gradually and will report back! She is tiny (6lb 11oz born - probably less at the moment) so I'll have to see how the small nappies we have fit her!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
phoenixgirl|1329247594|3126151 said:
LV, welcome to the dark side! But maybe not for long if you don't like your results . . . ;-)

I use Tide Ultra original scent powder. It doesn't say "bleach alternative" on it . . . ????

Do you have a front-loader or a top-loader? Did you see lots of suds in there? I've never had super set in stains -- even my stains before were light and would fade out over time -- so I don't really have any experience with super set stains. If you're concerned about getting them out, I'd probably ask on DS for advice, and maybe try OxyClean or bleach. Do you have hard water?

My Tide washes are super super sudsy if that helps. When I tried RnG again last week, it didn't make suds like the Tide.

Pancake had her baby!!!!! I can't wait to hear how she likes her newborn nap pies!

ETA: There was a thread on DS last month about a woman who got super nasty diapers off eBay or something, and she got tons of advice and eventually defunked them. Let me see if I can find it.

Ahhhh, I can finally post again. I have such a hard time posting from my laptop with the baby trying to take over the keyboard!!

PG OK, so I think I am going to give it a few more tries. BTW, I am using liquid tide!!!!!!!!!!! I have read people talking about both liquid and powder. Next, I am going to try powder Tide free, if such a thing exists. The stains are faint and I think getting fainter. I soaked one over night, and I think it helped. I don't know how much suds there are, because the laundry room is the coldest room in the house and I just scoot on out as soon as I get laundry in! I wanted to check yesterday, but totally forgot. It's a top loader, relatively new ~ 2-3 yrs old, and water is not hard. I will keep trying because I think I am making progress.

So funny about the CD mishaps you noted. Yikes on backwards diapers, haha. I have a hard enough time lately getting them on the regular way. I'd imagine backwards would be even more difficult.

VL, Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Used diaper pricing is really going to vary by diaper brand, so it's hard to say what good pricing is, unless it's a familar brand. I think the BumGenius that you posted are the organic ones (maybe?), and I'm not familiar with those in terms of price. I will say that the whole CD thing seems VERY overwhelming at first. My best advice is to stick around and become familiar with types of diapers and brands, then decide what you want to try, and then look for deals on those specific types of diapers. As has been said around here before, a deal is a deal only if you are getting what you want, so you need to figure out what you want first! Like you, I had found a great used CD deal on CL when I first started posting on this thread. It was a good deal because the diapers weren't used (mom had changed her mind on cd'g) and the price was less than retail, but as it turned out, that type of cd'g system wasn't what I was really after at all, so I'm glad I waited. There is soooooooo much to learn and so many products for all things baby. There ARE some really great threads around here, and lots of wonderful moms who love to share what they have learned, so ask away! And, CONGRATS again!!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies :wavey:

DH and I are pretty sure we want to cloth diaper, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what that entails. Could somebody explain how cloth diapering works? Is it the case that the diaper is made of cloth and, therefore, washable, but before putting it on baby we add a liner which is flushable? So no solids on the diaper itself except in case of leak?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling|1329757218|3130079 said:
Hi ladies :wavey:

DH and I are pretty sure we want to cloth diaper, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what that entails. Could somebody explain how cloth diapering works? Is it the case that the diaper is made of cloth and, therefore, washable, but before putting it on baby we add a liner which is flushable? So no solids on the diaper itself except in case of leak?

Hi mayerling, there are a lot of options, Blen does a good job with the basics on page one of this thread. You can use liners and flush, but a lot of people don't. We use a diaper sprayer for poo.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, yes, you can use flushable liners, but I've never used them so I don't have any insight on them. At this stage my toddler is pooping so infrequently and cleanly, for lack of a better term, that I think they'd be a waste. I just plop the poop in the toilet and spray an enzyme cleaner on the tiny bit that remains on the diaper.

My system is pocket diapers. Basically it's a single-use diaper with an absorbent insert that you stuff into the "pocket." The outside of the pocket is waterproof. If you need extra absorbency for overnight, then you can add an extra insert. You pull (or jiggle) the insert out before washing. The diaper dries more quickly this way versus an "all in one" diaper. Some big brands of pocket diapers are FuzziBunz, Happy Heinys, Blueberry, Charlie Banana, and BumGenius 4.0.

Some people use all-in-ones, which are basically the same as pockets except that the insert does not come out, so they take longer to dry, but you skip the part where you have to remove the insert and then stuff it back in after washing. Some big brands of all-in-ones are BumGenius Elementals and Swaddlebees Simplex. In some cases the absorbent part will only be semi attached so it will dry more quickly without you having to match up the inserts with the diapers after washing, but you still have the extra step of stuffing the absorbent part back in.

There are also systems - Flip Diapers and gDiapers - where you can use either a reusable insert or a disposable/flushable kind.

The most economical system is to use old-fashioned cloth diapers (the kind people still use as burp cloths) with a fastener (no safety pins anymore . . . now people use plastic grippy things) with a cover them. The cover can be reused as long as it doesn't get gross, and the diapers are only about $2 each, so you can have a whole cloth diapering set for $100-$200. With pockets or all-in-ones you probably need 18 to 30 diapers, and at $15 to $25 each, your whole "stash" is going to cost more like $400 or more. But keep in mind that you'll spend a couple of grand on disposables over the course of a child's life, so either kind is going to save you big in the long run even if you have to make a bigger initial investment. Plus you can use them on future children, something you can't do with disposables.

Do you have a cloth diaper store near you? We didn't have one when I started cloth-diapering, so I just ordered off the internet, but now there's one less than a mile from my house and I love to check out all the different options. If you don't, Whole Foods carries BumGenius, I think. It can all be a bit confusing, so I'd recommend trying to see some in person before you purchase a whole big stash.

Cloth diapers also have a surprisingly high resale value, so even if you go with the fancier/pricier kinds, you're still saving money and certainly reducing your waste output.

As for the maintenance, be prepared to wash every 2 or maybe 3 days. I have a front-loader (less water than a top loader) with really long cycles, so the washing process takes me a while, but I can do it in my sleep now. Everything's fine if I throw it in the dryer, but I usually line dry in the backyard or, in the winter, hang the pockets, wet bags (little bag to carry a couple of diapers around when out of the house), and pail liners (what goes between the trashcan/diaper pail and the diapers) next to the radiator and machine dry the inserts. Some things, though, like my pockets with organic cotton interiors and my hemp inserts for overnight, have to be dried in the dryer or else they get stiff and crunchy. DD kept complaining that the pockets were "itchy" and it took a while to convince her I had fixed the problem with the dryer. Now she says, "My diaper no itchy any more." ;))

As for poop, meconium or breastfed poop can just go right in the washer. You do a cold rinse first, and the poop dissolves. Solid poop is dumped off into the toilet. If you've got a sick kid or stickier poop, you might need a diaper sprayer (I don't have one) or to swish the diaper around in the toilet a little. A little bit stuck to the diaper will come off in the wash too. I don't find it gross at all, which I assume is some kind of evolutionary adaptation so I can take care of my children's needs . . . other kids' poop definitely grosses me out. But my own kid, I just wish it around in the toilet, no biggie. Plus to me it's way grosser to throw all of the poop in a Diaper Genie that sits in your house for who knows how long (the disposable diaper directions say to dump the poop in the toilet first, but 99% of people don't do this . . . ew).

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies, ladies.

Phoenixgirl, there's no cloth diaper store near me - in fact, I wonder if there are any in the UK! - so I'll probably have to go the online route. I'll also probably go with the flushable liners as that is the option I find less disgusting right now - though, as you say, maybe I'll feel differently once the baby is here. If I do go with flushable liners, which kind of diapers should I go for?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayerling, My favorite cds are made in Scotland: http://www.totsbots.com/. I've read that these were available at a particular grocery store in Germany, so I'm guessing you might be able to find them in a similar local shop near you. On-line ordering works too!

Based on what you wrote, you might want to look into a hybrid diaper system: http://www.kellyscloset.com/Hybrid-Diapers_c_859.html.

As far as liners, you can use them with any type of diaper. I never used liners. In the early days, I just dropped the entire diaper in the pail, then dropped all of the diapers in the wash, threw in the pail liner, and never gave it a second thought.

It is all so overwhelming when you first start researching. What is your motivation for cd'g? That might help us with recommendations a bit.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, LV!

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking. I'm hoping you knowledgeable ladies will be able to point me in the right direction. I've done some research (including backtracking and reading this thread), but I'm still quite confused. I think my confusion is probably due to the fact that I don't know ANYBODY who's used cloth diapers before (except my mother and MIL 30 years ago when things were very different), and I've never seen any in person - I only have 2 maternity-baby stores in my city and neither one carries CDs; so I'm still confused by terms like 'fitted', 'AIO', 'hybrid', 'covers', 'prefolds', etc. So I'd be really grateful if you could all point me in the direction of what I would need based on my requirements.

So here goes:
1. I want to cd because of the fact that it's cheaper, more hygienic, and environmentally-friendly - and I love how I can use the CDs with future babies as well.
2. I want to use flushable liners.
3. I intend to use disposables until late September (baby is due early July), because there's a chance I might be going back home to have the baby and with me and DH living at my parents' house I think laundry all the time might be an issue - parents don't have a dryer, and now that I mention it, neither do we. So it seems that baby will no longer be a newborn when I start on CDs, is that right?
4. I will have to line dry since we have no dryer, and please bear in mind that sun is quite scarce in the UK - based on my research this might have an effect on lingering smells and stains, and it also means that diapers would take AT LEAST two days to dry before they are ready to use again.
5. Feel free to suggest US websites as we've decided to buy from the US (whatever price it is in dollars is what we would get charged in pounds if we bought from a UK website), have them shipped to in-laws' place, and have DH pick them up when he's in the US for a conference in May.

So now that you know all this, what kind of CDs would you suggest I get - prefolds, AIOs, fitteds, etc? I really have no idea. :errrr:
And also, given how I'll start using when baby is about 3mos, and will need enough diapers to last me when some are out to dry, how many would you suggest I get?

Thanks! :wavey:

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Based on the drying time I would eliminate all-in-ones and fitters from your options.

I confess to being kind of ignorant on how to CD without a dryer, but I'm sure generations of ladies before us have done it and it's no big deal. What do you do with your towels? The same principles will apply.

I think prefolds require drying in the dryer during the prepping process, but maybe you can buy ones that are already prepped. But again, these aren't a new invention, and I'm sure many people have used them without a dryer. The question is how!

I have several of these pocket diapers: they are a smaller brand only available through this one cloth diaper shop (it's located a couple of hours from me, so before my local store opened I ordered from there almost exclusively). They are less expensive but I love the fit on my toddler. I had to buy new diapers when she hit age two because my other "one size" diapers became little bikini briefs on her. So I went with a less expensive option hoping she would potty-train soon. Anyway, the material is something synthetic, and they come out of the washer already feeling dry, especially compared to my other pocket diapers with fleecy insides. Also, the inserts are a little thinner than some others, so they also dry faster. Each diaper comes with two inserts so you can double them up if you need extra absorbency. Because they dry so fast relative to my other pockets, I hang them farther away from the radiator and they're usually done first. So this might be a good option for quick drying without a dryer: http://www.diaperjunction.com/diaper-rite-pocket-cloth-diaper.html They also sell flushable/disposable liners in the Diapering Accessories section.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I did some research, and people say flats dry the fastest (basically they're like prefolds but without the extra absorbency/layers in the middle third of the rectangle). Here's an example: http://www.diaperjunction.com/diaper-rite-birdseye-cloth-diapers.html But these are birdseye cotton, and my AIOs made from that are stiff/crunchy when line-dried. So I think the softest option would be to use pockets which you can stuff with flats or thinner inserts. You can use flats right against the baby's skin with covers, which would be more economical and faster when drying, but you have to decide if the stiff/crunchy thing is OK for your baby's skin. A 3 month old won't complain, but a two year old might. ;))

As for how many you will need, I'd say 10-12 per day, so if you think it will be a full 72 hours before your diapers are dry and ready to go again, then I'd aim for about 30. Also, they need more in the beginning. I have about 20 for my toddler but am ready with 30 for my newborn (needing to go 2.5 days from start to finish).

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm still a bit confused, though. Are you saying I should get pockets and then stuff them with something? And could this something be a flushable insert? Also, do these come in one size versions?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, OK, if I were you, I would buy 20-30 pocket diapers made of suedecloth (which is a cheaper synthetic material than some pockets are made of, but it dries super fast). Inside the pocket you'll either use the washable inserts (usually microfiber) that come with them, or buy your own flats and stuff them with those (because they dry faster than microfiber). Since the pocket diapers will come with their own inserts, I'd probably only one buy one 12 pack of flats to start out. You can use those if your microfiber inserts are still drying. Then I'd place the flushable liner on top of the diaper, like you would a panty-liner or menstrual pad. This way when poop gets on the diaper, you can just fling the liner into the toilet instead of doing anything complicated to remove the poop. Just make sure your septic system can handle the liner because I believe they're thicker than toilet paper. http://www.diaperjunction.com/bummis-flushable-diaper-liners.html

And yes, those diapers I linked to are "one size." See those snaps on the bottom, three rows of three? You use those to snap it down to a smaller size for a younger baby. Starting at three months, you should be fine using the smallest setting (but it will be bulkier than when it's completely unsnapped). They'd probably be too big for a newborn. They do make sized diapers that fit more trimly at each stage, but your overall cost is higher.

FuzziBunz and Charlie Banana make pockets with nifty elastic adjustments inside the leg casings, so they size down pretty small and you don't have all these extraneous snaps when you're using the diaper on a toddler. But their insides are fleecier, so they'd take a bit longer to dry. They'd still probably dry faster than the inserts, so you might consider those too. http://www.diaperjunction.com/fuzzi-bunz-one-size-pocket-diaper.html

And again, your fastest drying and cheapest option would be using flats and covers, but with covers the flat will be directly against the baby's skin, and when you're line drying and stuff is crunchier, comfort might be sacrificed. These are examples of covers you could use: http://www.diaperjunction.com/diaper-covers.html

A run down of materials you''ll find in pocket and AIO diapers:

suedecloth - synthetic, dries super fast
microfleece - synthetic, fleecier, takes a little longer to dry
cotton birdseye - drying time is OK if there aren't too many layers, scratchy if not tumble-dried
cotton velour - super soft if dried in the dryer, stiff and crunchy otherwise
hemp - do not buy without a dryer - stiff as a board

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl, thank you very much. This is very helpful.

So, if I understand it correctly, if I get pockets I need to line them with both a flat insert and the flushable insert - I'm pretty sure our sewage system could handle it; the UK has a pretty good system. What is the purpose of the flat insert? Is it in case the flushable insert doesn't contain everything, or is it so the pocket doesn't get wet at all? Also, are covers different from pockets? And why is it that with covers the flat is directly against the baby's skin? Wouldn't the flushable be directly against the baby's skin in both cases?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, good point about the flushable liner being against the baby's skin. Since I don't use them, I hadn't thought of that! So maybe flats and covers are the way to go for you.

The disposable liner is just to make clean-up easier for you. It makes disposing of poop easier, but it does not absorb the urine.

Disposable inserts - the really absorbent part - are used pretty infrequently in my experience. Maybe if you were going camping or something. So the flats or microfiber inserts are not disposable, no. You wash and reuse them.

The diaper needs to absorb a cup of fluid, so you can imagine how much waste there would be if you used disposable inserts all the time. Probably similar to just using disposable diapers. And more expensive . . . here are some at 33 cents per insert. http://www.diapers.com/p/flip-disposable-diaper-inserts-18-ct-22656?site=CI&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_campaign=Google&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=BU-035&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=%7Bkeyword%7D That's more than disposable diapers cost and you still have to buy the cover, spend time and money laundering them, etc.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
You're right; I meant disposable liners, not disposable inserts.

So am I right in saying this is how it would work? I get a few covers (can you suggest how many), and line them with washable flats (about 30?) which absorb the urine, and then with flushable liners which catch the poop. From what I've read, people don't get as many covers as they do flats, so does this mean that the cover is reusable - meaning if the baby goes through about 6 flats and liners in one day, I would need only one cover for all of those?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, I've heard people recommend 6-8 covers for washing every other day, so I'd say 8 for you since you might need a longer drying period. 6 flats for one day is on the low side. I would say at least 8, 10 to be comfortable, 12 to be really set, so 16-24 flats if you will wash every other day. But I also think because they are so thin that people sometimes double up the flats, so maybe you'd want 3 dozen. Hopefully somebody who uses them can chime in. Here are some pictures and explanations of how you can use them on the baby (you can either lay them flat in the cover, or else wrap around the baby artistically and then secure with a grippy thing . . . one brand is called the Snappi). http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/flat.htm

P.S. I think the 6-8 covers is because if (ahem, when) you accidentally get poop on the cover, you'll want to get a new one. But I've also read about somebody hand washing the covers when they get dirty and then hanging them up to dry, so you could make do with fewer if you are willing to do that. Also, it depends on your LO's pooping habits. If you're exclusively breastfeeding at first, the poop is runnier and easier to get on things. If you're doing formula or have moved onto some solids when you start CDing, then you might not need as many.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl, thank you very much for all your help. I think I understand the process now. I watched these educational videos on gdiapers.com which seem to suggest that you can use their cloth diapers - which I'm assuming are diapers and not covers - by using a washable insert topped by a flushable liner. It seemed pretty simple. Now I need to determine whether their diapers+inserts+liners are more expensive than covers+flats+liners. I guess their diapers are not waterproof whereas I could get covers that are...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know someone who uses gDiapers but I don't know much about them. I think they come in XS, S, M, and L, so you'll have to purchase more overall. But I've always been too intimidated to try flats/prefolds and covers, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. You've got to have a system that works for you.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I just realised they don't do one-size so that wouldn't work. For those who don't do one-size, how many of each size did you get?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling|1329861945|3131162 said:
Yeah, I just realised they don't do one-size so that wouldn't work. For those who don't do one-size, how many of each size did you get?

We do OS, but here is a chart (number 8 on the drop down menu):

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/newtocloth

It looks like they say 24 extra small, 18 small, 12 medium, and 8 large. You'd probably have to increase that 50% to cover three days. That's an awful lot of diapers!

Adding to what PG said, I just realized the reason I like my BG more than my Blueberries is because they are suede cloth. So those Diaper Rite pockets look awesome to me right now. PG, how do you like the third snap? It looks awkward.

ETA: Mayerling, what will your daycare situation be when you start CDing? I don't mind prefolds/covers since that's what we'll do the first few months, but I would think flats/covers/snappi/liner is a lot for a caregiver that might not be familiar with the process.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, I was already used to the third snap from my FuzziBunz. The Diaper Rite pocket is just less thick, less fleecy. So trimmer, but also not as sturdy, I guess you'd say. I think it needs the third snap to keep it pulled into place. I think the material would bunch up without the third snap.

I have a Charlie Banana where they didn't add enough eyelet snaps (that's what they're called, right? I mean the female snaps) to the top row, so I have to let one of the male snaps hang free, which is a pain and a terrible design (sometimes it digs into Claire's skin :(( ). But on the Diaper Rite pockets, there are adequate female snaps so we have no problem -- she's not even on the widest setting.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I tried to follow the rest of the conversation but got confused again. :oops:
Kunzite, I have 9 months maternity leave; after that I really don't know what our daycare situation will be. I don't think there would be an issue given the flushable liner, though.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, I think that sounds like a great system. You can reuse the covers, but I like the way you snap in the inserts so you don't have to be skilled at that. It says the medium inserts work from 11 pounds, so hopefully you can just skip the small size.

ETA: I'd get the stay dry inserts. The hemp/organic cotton will be crunchy and stiff without a dryer.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Phoenixgirl. It's funny how in two days I went from knowing next to nothing about CDs to having a plan about how to go about using them with my baby!

Edit: Thanks for the tip on the organics! Actually, this whole time I've been wondering what the difference is between the two types of inserts.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayerling - They mention using a liner at the bottom of the link you posted, so you could use a liner. They reference it with respect to keeping rash creams away from the diaper, which is what most people are using liners for, I think. I don't know if a liner is going to contain all poo incidents, so as long as your ok with that, go ahead and try liners with whatever system you decide on, but just giving you warning, I guess!

As far as the Best Bottoms, I've never used them, so I'd suggest looking for reviews. My concern would be that you are basically investing in this as a system. What if you don't like it? What if you can't get a good fit with these?

And, I noticed that pockets are just a little more money (according to their site), so why not just use those? Plus, with pockets, you get 24 diapers and 24 inserts vs. only 8 shells and 24 inserts? Why bother with wiping out shells (doesn't sound like something you'd be interested in) and snapping inserts out and then in to use the shell again, when you can have 24 diapers stuffed and ready to go? That's me looking at this with a critical eye after cd'g for a year!! I want to reiterate that I know how confusing it is!!

I think you should look into pockets. A lot of pockets come with microfiber inserts, which look like the Best Bottoms inserts, so they are multiple layers of fabric in one, which is going to take longer to air dry. That's why PG suggested flats for you, because a flat is just a flat layer of fabric, that you fold up to fit into a diaper. When it's folded up, it's absorbent. When it's flat, it's easy to dry. A pocket can be stuffed with anything - a microfiber insert, a bamboo insert (which unfolds and would dry more quickly than a MF insert) http://www.swaddlebees.com/Products/Pocket-Diapers/Econappi_Cloth_Diapers_3, or even a folded up flat.

FuzziBunz and BumGenius are the most common pocket diaper brands. They are tried and true, but everyone develops their preferences. I prefer BGs right now for fit, but again, tots bots are by far my all.time.favorite. I have to give my tots bots another rec for you. Tots Bots are similar to pockets, in that you have to stuff them, but the insert is attached to the diaper, so you just throw the whole diaper in the wash. With regular pockets, you remove the pocket from the diaper and then put them separately into your wet bag. With tots bots, you just throw the whole diaper in, and the insert agitates out in the wash. Easy peasy. The inserst are less thick than regular inserts, so I think that may reduce your dry time as well. They are a little pricier than regular pockets, but maybe you can find them cheaper where you are.

Wow, that was a lot. It's all so overwhelming. I hope I haven't added to that. I guess, I would suggest getting a few different types of pockets, and try stuffing them with different stuffers to see what works best for you.

ETA: OOPS, I've been typing away, and y'all were having a conversation while I was typing! Just offering some different thoughts on your idea . . . .

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
LV, thanks for the suggestions!

I suppose the reason I like the shell idea is because it's cheaper - only 8 shells vs. 36 pockets, and because it doesn't require as much laundry. I really don't mind laundry but like I said, being in the UK with no sun and no dryer means I'd probably need a lot more pockets (at about 16 dollars a piece) for something I could do with 8 shells/covers.

Since looking into best bottoms, I've also done some more research on youtube and have also become fond of the idea of AI2s. It seems that I wouldn't have to commit to one brand like best bottoms, which as you say might not work out for me, so I've been looking into getting a couple of AI2 flips, gro vias, ecobums, and best bottoms, and see what I like best. Also, I seem to be able to get a pair of flips on sale here in the UK, which means I don't have to wait until May when DH goes to the US before I'm able to check some out in person.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, loads of my friends here in the UK do cloth nappies - you can find them very easily online or on eBay. I think there are some shops in London that stock them as well.

I would seriously look into getting a tumble dryer. I didn't have one when D was born and it was a nightmare... babies go through clothes like crazy. Getting them dry in the house was impossible and there was laundry everywhere. In the end we bought a condensing drier and I seriously don't know how I coped without it.

Knowing how exhausting a new baby is, I'd be very wary of doing CD without a drier especially in the early months where they seem to do nothing but poop!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Pandora.

Unfortunately, I don't know many people with children where we live. Academia is really not a baby-friendly place. And my city only has mothercare and gap-baby so not many child shop options.

As for the tumble dryer, we live in university-owned accommodation so we don't really get to pick and choose what furniture or appliances we can have. We thought about a dryer, but there's really no space in our kitchen for it - just like there's no space for a dishwasher. I thought about having the machine and dryer in our shed outside, but there are no sockets there, and we're not allowed to tamper with the electricity supply. So a dryer is really not an option. I really have to go the multiple diaper route if I am to CD.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We plan to cloth diape our babe but are currently clueless about it and all the different Types. I do plan to plow through this thread at some point, but fr now I wanted to share a great new app I just came across. It's called cloth diaper resources by DDR studios. A streamlined resource of videos and reviews on diapers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results