shape
carat
color
clarity

Clinohumite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I had a customer ask for a bright orange stone the other day and I came accross this stone type. To be honest I dont know much about it. Is there a lot of demand for it in the marketplace or is it more of a collectors stone? What size ranges does it usually come in?

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the information Jeff. Was that pricing wholesale or retail?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
That generally what I have seen them go for on the net (cut) retail. There is some rough available on the net in various places though I can''t point to specific dealers cause it is such a hit and miss material. Most of what is available is from Pakistan/Afghanistan and pretty small. You will see 1-3 carat pieces pretty regularly and I have seen a few over 10 carats but they are rare and almost always included.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay precision facetor, "FacetorJay" sometimes carries it. I would inquire with him. I scored a great cuprite from him for very little $$.

He specializes in rare exotic gems.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the info you two

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
http://www.americanthai.com/html/clino1700.html

the colour! it''s so glowy
3.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I have gotten offered some rough from my guy in pakistan a couple of times..color looks real nice just not many folks know about it and it''s fairly rare i think

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have any photos to share? Is this a stone that can be worn in jewelry?

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Stone Hunter,
Clinohumite could be worn in jewelry. However, if it is to go into a ring, it would require serious protection for any long term wear. Should not be a problem in a neckpiece, and matching pairs for earrings may be complicated to come by. According to several sources, hardness is rated at 6 to 6-1/2, but it does exhibit some brittelness similar to what I''ve experienced when faceting Tanzanite.

Here''s a photo of some Tanzanian rough I acquired in July 2009 in Arusha. Each of these roughs would produce about a 2ct sized stone.

Clinohumite_2009_1188.jpg

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Stone Hunter,
Then this past January, I acquired some more Clinohumite, but from a different mine in Tanzania. These will all produce 1-1/2ct to 2-1/2ct sized stones. In my experience though, this gem is more geared towards the collector market than it is for jewelry.

Clinohumite_2010_1189.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!! Those stones you have look just lovely!! Great color. Too bad that the stone is brittle.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results