shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning your diamond....ammonia question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FD21Bride

Shiny_Rock
I''ve heard that soaking your diamond in ammonia is hard on the stone...is this true?
If so..what is the best thing to clean it in ?
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't heard this or found ammonia to be a problem at all, if you are concerned try blue Windex either neat or diluted as many here do, it has ammonia in but maybe not as much as pure ammonia ,or a proprietry jewelry cleaner with a soft small brush. FYI I found out ages ago here that canned air works well for drying diamonds and it does, I use it all the time now
3.gif
it really makes the pavillion sparkle and gets rid of watermarks.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I use equal parts amonia and water to clean my diamond earrings and pendant...they sparkle like crazy.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Appletini,
When you say you use equal parts ammonia and water, what is the concentration of ammonia you''re using? Normally they''re about 5% or 10% solutions, but between those two examples there is twice the ammonia...

Thanks.
Mark

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ammonia will not hurt your diamond at all.

It will not hurt platinum either but I wouldn''t use it on white gold repeatedly over time...

I use ammonia and windex and Mr Clean to clean my platinum and diamond rings in my ultrasonic and love it.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Interesting about the WG...what is recommended for use in an ultrasonic on WG?

Mark

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2005 6:05:10 PM
Author: Mara
Ammonia will not hurt your diamond at all.

It will not hurt platinum either but I wouldn''t use it on white gold repeatedly over time...

I use ammonia and windex and Mr Clean to clean my platinum and diamond rings in my ultrasonic and love it.

Mara is right, my appraiser even suggested ammonia to clean my ring. Mr Clean works wonderfully.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just use a cleaner for gold I have along with dish-soap rather than using the Mr. Clean and Ammonia like I do for my platinum. If I am in a pinch I throw it in with my platinum stuff but I don't do that very often.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I just bought regular ammonia at the grocery store in the smallest container I can find. I have a water bottle that I keep my mixed solution in, and made sure to write warnings on it with a permanent marker, just in case someone didn''t know...but I''m sure the smell would give it away.

petergunn

Rough_Rock
I recently had a diamond appraised by a very respected independent GIA AGS certified appraiser, "this is all she does" She has over 18 years experience.
I was told by this expert that Simple Green is an excellent product to use for giving your diamond a quick cleaning. She said alot of people she knows in the jewelry business use it and it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results