shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning/Switching?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PinkLady

Rough_Rock
How long would it take for someone to switch a diamond? I recently had my engagement ring cleaned at a jeweler (not where the ring was purchased), and the woman left the room to clean it for about three minutes. Would it be possible for her to switch it?

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
No, not if she''s just a regular employee.

I''d be worried if I saw Penn & Teller behind the counter though.

Taking a diamond out of a setting and putting another one in there would definitely take more than three minutes. When was the last time you heard of a case where a diamond was swapped during cleaning? It doesn''t happen, don''t worry yourself about it.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
It would take longer than three minutes. If you are worried about these things, get yourself a loupe. Every diamond is pretty unique with inclusions (or lack thereof). Look at your stone and get famliar with it, and when they give it back - look again. Then you can relax.

But I''ve actually seen my stone taken out of my setting - that only takes a minute of so with a tool, but getting it INTO a setting takes MUCH longer than 3 mintues. I sat on the bench with a jeweler while he was putting my stone back into the setting. That took about 5-10 minutes - but then he had to POLISH it - to get the tool marks out and get it back to normal. That took a while. At least another 10 -15 minutes.

So if they removed it and put it all back togehter in 3 minutes - that would be the FASTEST setter I''ve ever heard of!

I think you''re fine.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I posted this in your other thread in the Diamond Hangout forum:

First of all, just think for a moment about what is involved in switching a diamond. The diamond has to be removed from your setting, another diamond found that is quite similar in size, etc. to yours, and then it must be reset in the diamond with enough precision and workmanship to make it look like nothing ever happened. Do you think that can occur in three minutes???

Second of all, you should be able to identify your diamond, either with your naked eye (visible inclusions) or with a loupe (inclusions or lasered inscription on girdle). If you can't, before you hand over your diamond ring, ask the jeweler to make a plot of the inclusions and show them to you, so in the future you will know what your diamond's characteristics are and how to locate them. If the jeweler who refuses to do this, then find another one who is willing to make you feel secure. Of course, remember that even thinking that a jeweler would do such a horrible thing is insulting to a reputable jeweler, so this is a fine line to walk.

Third, realize that switching diamonds is a risky thing...do you think your jeweler is willing to risk everything and jail time just to switch your diamond?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
People have posted similiar questions before, what makes you think your diamond may have been switched?
Depending on what is bothering you, there is a chance that we can point you to other threads you may find helpful.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I second that. I used to also think they could switch them ...because I though a "2 carat stone" was a "2 carat stone" in measure not in weight...so it was logical to me that a if they had a two carat laying around....viola...

Just to let you know I too was convinced my stone was no the one I went in with...I took the old setting to another jeweler he replaced my stone into the old setting and it fit to perfection...He took out three of his perfect round 2 carats...and not one of them was even close.

Two years later...After learning diamonds are actually like snowflakes...everyone of them is a different size...not just in the diameter but in the depth...color etc. The more you learn about diamonds you too will be convinced it is highly unlikely and nearly impossible. For fun, do a search on your stones measurements on the Pricescope thing...and see just how close you can get.

Why do you doubt the stone? Is it sooo clean it doesn''t look like yours?

DKS

OH and then there is the fact that my stone is not a D color perfect cut, I think my stone is special...but anyone with an eye knows it not one they want. How would they benefit from having mt SI1 in there stock?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that they wouldn''t be able to switch your stone in 3 minutes. But if 2 rings of the same size set the same way (such as 4 or 6 prong solitaires set in the same kind of metal) are put into the cleaner at the same time, it would be possible to switch the entire ring.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 2:11:59 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I agree that they wouldn''t be able to switch your stone in 3 minutes. But if 2 rings of the same size set the same way (such as 4 or 6 prong solitaires set in the same kind of metal) are put into the cleaner at the same time, it would be possible to switch the entire ring.

There''s that. If you''re truly paranoid, just make sure you know your ring well. All the scratches and stuff. Then, if you take it to get it clean, ask to watch them (it''s fun to watch and many places have the cleaning machines out in the open). Or, if it''s in the back, make sure they only take one item back to clean at a time.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ok paranoia is setting in....

They would have to have the same size stone...the same prong configuration...and the SAME RING SIZE!! (I wear a 5.75 on my left hand, if I slip on a 6 I am going to know...) The odds??? Well I would like to have you guys on my side counting cards for me at a poker table!!

Guys, if your stone is A IN. FLAWLESS D COLOR SPECTACULAR ONE ONLY then be concerned...but there is always a nicer diamond that the one on your finger. The jeweler isn''t sitting there waiting for YOU and YOUR diamond to come in to send his kids to college. He isn''t gong to throw his entire set up away on a measley little rock with flaws! (all of our stones are flawed...all of them..) It just isn''t going to happen.

The best advice for those who have doubt is get your stone mapped and platted...and get your eyes on the stone under magnification get familiar with your stone and its individual fingerprints...then if the person is gone 30 minutes cleaning it...you have armed yourself with the knowledge and are aware that it is in fact YOUR STONE. This is the case in everything we do. What about your drycleaning you just dropped off? They reunined their best customers Calvin Klein Sport coat...and Viola you just happen to come in to get yours cleaned...Eureka. Switch it. It is the same color, style..and SIZE? Don''t think so.

Spend your energy getting familiar with things that belong to you.

My 30 cents....DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results