clarity

Cleaning engagement ring

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
kenny|1421191512|3815984 said:
nimmy, a big reason diamonds need frequent cleaning to put on their light show is actually different from what we might think.
Sure, a dirty surface blocks some of the light whether on a window of your house or on a diamond, but there's another totally separate thing going on in a dirty diamond.

The reason your Brian Gavin diamond is so sparkly is all the angles/facet are in just the right place.
They reflect light at precise angles to return the most fire and brilliance to your eyes instead of letting light leak out the side or bottom of the diamond.

The technical reason has to do with the index of refraction of diamond material meeting air.
Air, not oil/gunk.

When a diamond is clean, with only air touching the diamond, light that is traveling in the diamond will reflect at some exact angle when it strikes the air/diamond surface of the pavilion.
But when the pavilion is coated with gunk that light will reflect at a different angle.
Gunk converts a well-cut diamond into a poorly-cut one.

My jeweler gave me some of this stuff, it explains the critical angle and how a dirty diamond quickly makes your baby look bad http://www.brilliantrestorer.com/

But YES YES YES, cleaning will make a difference, I clean mine with a little degreasing dishwashing detergent and baby toothbrush 2 times a day. I did the soak and that worked well too. When I *think* it's clean I use the Brilliant stuff (I think it has a little ammonia too) and BAM even more sparkly. My friend has a gorgeous diamond in a Coast halo setting and does everything in it, ugh I can see the icky, I want to take it off her finger and clean the heck out of it. But I bite my tongue cause she's a new mom :razz:

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I use an ultrasonic cleaner 2 or 3 times a week, then I rinse under superheated water/steam, wipe dry with a jewellery cloth and finish with a hairdryer! I always soak and do this as soon as I get back from having my nails done too. At least twice a day I clean it with jewellery soap and a little brush.

I took my ring back to De Beers for re-sizing and he put it under a microscope to show me the engraved series number. He said he had never, ever seen a ring as clean as that brought in by a customer. It was spotless - under x 200 magnification. I felt like a proud mother!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Zizzy, I loved your comment about being a proud mom. :lol:

I'm hoping I can follow through with cleaning mine nearly as well when I get my new reset next week. ;-)

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I am so relieved that I am not the only one! I was just doing a search to find the best jewelry cleaning machine and I happened upon this thread...to hear that others clean their rings daily-or even several times a day is such a relief, that I'm not overly OCD, at least not alone in the overly OCD about keeping my sparkly super-sparkly clean. I love the idea that it's my duty to keep it clean! Whew, thanks! :dance: oh...and if anybody has a recommendation on a ultrasonic type cleaner, I would love it!

BTW, I bought a pretty sugar bowl with a lid to put on my counter in my bathroom, and put the basket from a throw-away jar of cleaner inside and just keep that filled with sunshine jewelry cleaner and the little brush. Looks pretty and its functional!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I clean daily with a mixture of Dawn dishwashing detergent and Windex using hot water and a soft toothbrush. I also have one of those Jewel Jet steamers and it does wonders!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Sundial said:
I clean daily with a mixture of Dawn dishwashing detergent and Windex using hot water and a soft toothbrush. I also have one of those Jewel Jet steamers and it does wonders!

Sundial, how do you incorporate the windex exactly? TIA! :sun:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can mix Dawn, Windex and hot water in a bowl. Then soak your ring and use a toothbrush if you wish.

I clean my ring every day so it never gets gunk built up in it. I also wash my hands several times a day with Dawn (so drying but gets your hands squeaky clean) or clear liquid hand soap. I can't stand a dirty diamond and I cannot put my ring away for the day without cleaning it. Talk about OCD!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
SparklySoprano|1427588597|3853897 said:
Sundial said:

MissGotRocks has it exactly right - I just squirt a little Dawn and spray a little Windex in a small dish and add hot water. I let my diamond jewelry soak for five minutes and then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush. LOL I think we are all a little obsessive about cleaning our diamonds on here, but why spend all that money and not keep them at their best?!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Sundial|1427643805|3854131 said:
SparklySoprano|1427588597|3853897 said:
Sundial said:

MissGotRocks has it exactly right - I just squirt a little Dawn and spray a little Windex in a small dish and add hot water. I let my diamond jewelry soak for five minutes and then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush. LOL I think we are all a little obsessive about cleaning our diamonds on here, but why spend all that money and not keep them at their best?!

Exactly my thought! I can really tell the difference by the end of the day...I don't really think I could put a bowl of cleaner in my work restroom without being thought completely out of my mind :)...but I suppose I could grab the Windex! People would be like "oh, look, she's cleaning!" LOL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results