shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning a stainless cook top?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
The kitchen remodel planning saga continues. Our kitchen designer has recommended this cook top for us:

GE Profile 30" Built-In Gas Cooktop

It is lovely, but my question is -- what about keeping the stainless clean? Is is easy or not-so-easy? I''m worried about scratching it during cleaning?

If any of you have this cook top (or any stainless one) - what''s the scoop? Do you love it? Would you do it again??!

THANKS!

Lynn

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Never used this model, or anything really similar to it.
I have stainless appliances, but that''s just the face and not the worksurface.
I do know that it''s not a particularly lustrous stainless so that will work in your favor in regards to cleaning.
And stainless is very common for restaurant worksurfaces. Plus it will certainly be more durable than an enamel paint finish like black.
So, I''d say go for it.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 1:24:40 AM
Author: mobius8
Never used this model, or anything really similar to it.
I have stainless appliances, but that''s just the face and not the worksurface.
I do know that it''s not a particularly lustrous stainless so that will work in your favor in regards to cleaning.
And stainless is very common for restaurant worksurfaces. Plus it will certainly be more durable than an enamel paint finish like black.
So, I''d say go for it.
Thanks, Mob! I appreciate the head''s up. (Although I wish it was an appliance you were more familiar with, I''d feel so much more comfortable!)

Couple more questions, please: When cleaning the cook top, do you think I will need to be careful *HOW* I clean it? Will the wrong products potentially damage it? And will there likely be a "grain" that I''ll need to be careful when rubbing/scrubbing?

Thank you!

Lynn

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn, mine is similar. I use stainless cleaner and rub WITH the grain. Haven''t had any problems yet.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bon ami or barkeepers friend are good.

also, those scunci steam things that use a jet of hot water look interesting. I got one but have not used it yet.

there are also cleaners and conditioners for stainless. you want to not scratch, and then you want to polish. Sheila shine is one brand and I think Williams Sonoma makes one .

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Whirlpool version of that cooktop... it''s almost identical. I LOVE IT.

The sealed burner makes it super easy to clean. I love that the grid comes off in two pieces, and they are very easy to clean as well... being cast iron.

When I clean mine I use Melaleuca Tough and Tender... it''s enzymatic and very gentle.

I spray it on, leave it for a few minutes while I clean up elsewhere and come back and everything... even burnt on drips just wipes away with no scrubbing. If I make something not messy... I just wipe it all with a wet sponge.

I also periodically polish it with the Target brand Method Stainless polish... make sure you wipe WITH the grain of the metal finish!

I can''t wait to see your finished kitchen!!! I''m obsessed with kitchens!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, for their help and comments!

Date: 10/5/2008 11:50:59 AM
Author: LuckyTexan
I have the Whirlpool version of that cooktop... it''s almost identical. I LOVE IT.

The sealed burner makes it super easy to clean. I love that the grid comes off in two pieces, and they are very easy to clean as well... being cast iron.

When I clean mine I use Melaleuca Tough and Tender... it''s enzymatic and very gentle.

I spray it on, leave it for a few minutes while I clean up elsewhere and come back and everything... even burnt on drips just wipes away with no scrubbing. If I make something not messy... I just wipe it all with a wet sponge.

I also periodically polish it with the Target brand Method Stainless polish... make sure you wipe WITH the grain of the metal finish!

I can''t wait to see your finished kitchen!!! I''m obsessed with kitchens!
And LT, thanks for the specifics! I''m excited to hear that you have one very similar and that you like it.

More comments, anyone else??!!! The more opinions the better, that''s my motto!!!

THANK YOU!

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
As with any appliance use only non abrasive or if needed low abrasive cleaners.
No steel wool. No comet.
Bar keepers friend is okay to the best of my knowledge or a plethora of stainless cleaners. Soft scrub or cerama bryte should be okay. Nylon soft scrubbers should be okay.
Common sense works best.

It''s a great cooktop. As long as it has the burner configuration that you like, the btu output to suit your needs and the grates that you like, then you should love it.

Good Luck.

P.s. Never hurts to buy from a retailer with a good return policy just in case :)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mobius,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! *kiss!*
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
I really appreciate your time and expertise with this.

Here are the other appliances recommended to us by our kitchen designer. Do you have any thoughts or comments?

GE 30" Built-In Single Convection Wall Oven
GE Tall Tub Built-In Dishwasher
KitchenAid Architect Series II French Door Counter Depth Fridge
GE 1.8 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave Oven (would also purchase "trim" kit for a built-in look)

And if anyone else has any of the above appliances, please speak up! I''d like to hear the good, the bad, and even the UGLY!!!
2.gif
Thank you!

Lynn

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My all time, hands down favorite for cleaning the dried or burnt gunk from my cooktop is Baking Soda!!! Yup, it acts as a great non scratch abrasive. Wipes clean with water. Leaves no film. And is environmentally friendly. Give it a try!! I''m sure you have some in your pantry or cupboard.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 9:42:14 PM
Author: Lynn B
Mobius,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! *kiss!*
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
I really appreciate your time and expertise with this.

Here are the other appliances recommended to us by our kitchen designer. Do you have any thoughts or comments?

GE 30'' Built-In Single Convection Wall Oven

GE Tall Tub Built-In Dishwasher

KitchenAid Architect Series II French Door Counter Depth Fridge

GE 1.8 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave Oven (would also purchase ''trim'' kit for a built-in look)

And if anyone else has any of the above appliances, please speak up! I''d like to hear the good, the bad, and even the UGLY!!!
2.gif
Thank you!

Lynn

Consider these alternatives.
For the oven: PLEB30S9FC - More Features, Less Money
For the dishwasher: SHE43F05UC - Better Cleaning Performance, Quieter
For the fridge: MFC2061KES - Basically The Same Fridge For Less $$$
For the microwave: PEB2060SMSS - A Bit Larger Just In Case

Let me know if you have any questions on these or if I can assist any further.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 6:07:19 PM

Hey Mob, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it! I tried researching your suggested alternatives and have a few questions, please.

Can''t find the PLEB30S9FC on the GE ovens webpage... is it maybe another brand?(http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher)

Ditto with the D/W, must be a different brand than GE, too?

And thritto
2.gif
with the fridge... must not be a KitchenAid?

Please let me know which brand(s) I am looking for. Thank you so much!

OH, BTW, the microwave suggestion is a GREAT find... I had missed that larger one altogether. THANK YOU!

Lynn

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I do not have the cook top you are eyeing, however, I do have stainless steel elsewhere in my kitchen and would like to suggest a great cleaner. The name is Stainless Butler, which is manufactured by Elkay. It is actually a spray gel with micro-beads. This stuff is great, as you do not even need to rinse. You can order from their website: www.elkayusa.com, or find a better deal online. This site has it for a good price and there are a couple of positive reviews: http://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=258784&cid=258784LKBS16:H:razz:erformics

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Omie, for the cleanser suggestion. I am starting a file of recommended cleaning products... now if I only had some STAINLESS APPLIANCES to CLEAN!!!
9.gif

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 6:36:21 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 10/13/2008 6:07:19 PM

Hey Mob, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it! I tried researching your suggested alternatives and have a few questions, please.

Can''t find the PLEB30S9FC on the GE ovens webpage... is it maybe another brand?(http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher)

Ditto with the D/W, must be a different brand than GE, too?

And thritto
2.gif
with the fridge... must not be a KitchenAid?

Please let me know which brand(s) I am looking for. Thank you so much!

OH, BTW, the microwave suggestion is a GREAT find... I had missed that larger one altogether. THANK YOU!

Lynn
Sorry, I just assumed you would Google the model numbers. I sent you on a wild goose chase at the GE website.
The oven is a FRIGIDAIRE, the dishwasher a BOSCH, the fridge a MAYTAG, and the micro is a GE

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 10:48:03 PM

Sorry, I just assumed you would Google the model numbers. I sent you on a wild goose chase at the GE website.
The oven is a FRIGIDAIRE, the dishwasher a BOSCH, the fridge a MAYTAG, and the micro is a GE
Thanks for the reply, Mob!!!
36.gif

Now why didn't I think of THAT (googling the model numbers)?!!!
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

As soon as I get home from work tonight, I'll check out your suggestions.
THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results