shape
carat
color
clarity

Classic vs. Unique

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelryaddict

Rough_Rock
I keep going back and forth on what I want. I don''t know whether to go with a classic RB or a fancy. Likewise, do I go with a classic setting (solitaire with diamond eternity band) or something completely unique? I love all of the halos and pave but I am afaid it will look soooo "right now" and 10 years from now I will look back at it just like I think some of the settings of the ''90''s look so dated. So tell me what you think, RB vs. Fancy, Classic Setting vs. Unique?

I tend to be more conservative, but as I have been paying much more attention to peoples wedding rings, it seems like I am seeing the same thing over and over again. Either RB or Princess, set in white gold or platinum with some side stones.
Thanks!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Classic.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I say.. classic stone (RB)
Unique setting.

That way.. if you don''t still love what you are wearing in 10/15 years, you still have a "classic" stone that will also probably work with the settings at that time.

I remember in the eighties, seeing a trillion center stone. I''m sure that really wouldn''t work as a center stone today - but the owner - may love it just the same...

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on whether or not you are willing to change the setting if it gets outdated. Some people prefer to keep their original setting forever for sentimental reasons. If you think you fit in this group I would go with the classic as it will never go out of style. I love princess cut stones, but went with a RB because I think I''d get tired of a PC in a few years and it may look dated. I remember when everyone had to have a pear or marquise. A RB will never go out of style.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I guess that depends on what you consider a unique setting. Does pave or a halo stirke you as unique? There are also certian brands which are quite popular now, but likely won''t be in 10-15 years.
I personally like RB the best for center stones because they stike me as classic, I read in a bridal magazine that the second most popular was MQ and I was fairly surprised, I think princess was 4th on the list. However I think you should go with what ever center stone you find the most pleasing to your eye.
You will be the one looking at it everyday, and you will be the one who needs to love it.
For a setting I would go with something more on the classic side, but then I dont ever want to change mine. Will you be wanting a new wedding set in a few years or do you plan on keeping the same one forever? (You may want to ask your SO about this).
I vote classic, or classic with a little twist like your avatar which strikes me as a nice mix of the two.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is for a classic design and a RB. Maybe with pear sides????
31.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2005 3:32:46 PM
Author: kaleigh
My vote is for a classic design and a RB. Maybe with pear sides????
31.gif
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

I do love that look......been shopping around myself.....

IMO, the setting can always be changed........But you need to be concened about what YOU like....who cares what''s popular w/anyone else!!! And some of the "popular" styles today were "popular" many years ago.....just like anything else...styles come and go!!

Get whatever looks good to you!!

jewelryaddict

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your quick replies. I am trading up for a new diamond. I currently have a .5 RB (an estate piece) that I reset about 5 years ago in a two tone Scott Kay (when they were really popular). I have never found a wedding band that I like with it and thought for the cost of having one custom made I could have a new setting. Since that time my husband has also given me a five stone 1 c. band in white gold that I usually wear on my right hand. I am thinking about having the .20 diamonds taken out and set in a band that would sit low and flush with a solitaire. I am just afraid to invest a lot in a setting again, because if it gets tiresome it doesn''t seem to be worth a lot when the love affair is over. Five years ago if I would have used the $$ we spent on the Scott Kay setting on upgrading my diamond I would be trading in a larger diamond. I am afraid of making that mistake again. I''m just so tempted by all of the beautiful custom designs I see on here.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I really like your setting!!! I hope you are at least considering using it to set a colored stone as a RHR!!!!
2.gif

jewelryaddict

Rough_Rock
I have thought of using it for a colored stone. Peridot is my birthstone and I have started a collection. I also really want a pink saphire. But the stones would have to be so small and without a band next to it, it looks so narrow on my hand. I used to wear a 2mm yellow gold band with my ring just to give it a little width. I was thinking of having the five stone reset in a bar set. I''ll attach pic''s of some of the things that I am thinking about.

jewelryaddict

Rough_Rock
I like this solitaire setting. I found this at chicjewelry.com Since they can customize I am thinking about having the heart done in YG rather than white. Then keeping the diamond band and everything else in white. I have quite a bit of Yurman and like the flexibility of going either yellow or white with my jewelry.

6992.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of the yellow gold heart.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is a sweet setting, would it sit flush with the five stone band your husband gave you?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Chic Jewelry has some nice setting selections. You can get any piece of jewelry customized in gold or platinum, cz or genuine diamonds. Definitely worth the visit to their site.

jewelryaddict

Rough_Rock
The five stone band is flat on the side and would sit flat against anything. The problem is that it is set up very high and the basket of almost every solitaire setting I have found bumps against the top of the 5 stone band. I have attached a very poor picture of it, but you can see the way it is set up. The band has 5 .20 RB SI1, G color. It is very sparkly and he paid well under 1,000 for it. I''m afraid the jeweler will want almost that just to reset the stones.

5 stone di band.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I love that band, though....don''t know if I would change it.....might just want to get a differenct one someday, in addition to it!!!

jewelryaddict

Rough_Rock
Well I have thought of that. I am going to wait and see what the jeweler says. If it can be reset for minimal cost, then I will do that. If it is going to be cost prohibitive then I think I will just buy a diamond band and keep this one for wearing as a rhr or recycle into diamond huggie earrings. I tend to wear the same jewelery every day and don''t switch it around. I already have a rhr that I love and would get more use out of this band either as part of my "new" wedding set or recycled into something I don''t already have. Thanks for all of your feedback. It is really helping me make a decision. My DH is soooo easy going that he doesn''t like to sway my opinion. It''s good to hear from those of you who are more objective than me!!! Thanks!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic will always stand the test of time.

I love to look at all the new styles but am always drawn back to the classics. I hate to invest money in something that will possibly look ''dated'' in a few years. In the end though it depends on what looks best on your hand in your opinion. I have seen hundreds of rings that I liked from a distance or in a case only to put them on and not like them on my hand at all. I have friends that have jewelry that I really like - just not on me! Funny how that works.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo settings have been around at least since the 1800''s. I strongly doubt they are going out of vogue any time soon... Perhaps the bridal mags didn''t promote them so much, but they were never out of the scene. Especially the kind with larger stones around the center, but the small ones too. The all paved rings (all over pave without other details) seem to be the trendy interpretation of the old scheme. But if you like halo settings, one on a simple or Cartie-style band is a very classic ring, IMO.

Oh well, and a fancy cut on a simple platinum band is a classic and personal choice too.

I don''t think there is a choice of ''either'' classic or ''unique'', because ''classic'' does not have to mean standardized and allows personal twists. And then, a strykingly beautiful ring is just that, regardless of time and place.
30.gif

Just a thought ...

anika

Shiny_Rock
I can never make up my mind on things. With my recent e-ring upgrade (I still have to post pics), I changed the setting 3 x before wearing it. I know bad. I had a very unique setting, which I just started to hate, went very plain which was the other extreme and then settled on a classic 6 prong but with channel set diamonds. At the end of the day, when it comes to jewelry, classic things are never boring, they are still stunning. The workmanship of the setting and the sparkle of a well cut diamond at the end of the day is what I personally enjoy. So I say go classic and find something that suits your hand and your overall taste. Oh and RB - just love them. Alot of people here have gorgeous unique settings and I love those too, but I am one of those people who as you say falls easily out of love with things.

Anika.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2005 3:56:39 PM
Author: jewelryaddict
Thanks for all of your quick replies. I am trading up for a new diamond. I currently have a .5 RB (an estate piece) that I reset about 5 years ago in a two tone Scott Kay (when they were really popular). I have never found a wedding band that I like with it and thought for the cost of having one custom made I could have a new setting. Since that time my husband has also given me a five stone 1 c. band in white gold that I usually wear on my right hand. I am thinking about having the .20 diamonds taken out and set in a band that would sit low and flush with a solitaire. I am just afraid to invest a lot in a setting again, because if it gets tiresome it doesn''t seem to be worth a lot when the love affair is over. Five years ago if I would have used the $$ we spent on the Scott Kay setting on upgrading my diamond I would be trading in a larger diamond. I am afraid of making that mistake again. I''m just so tempted by all of the beautiful custom designs I see on here.
I think you answered your own question.
2.gif
Go classic. You didn''t before & it seems like the love affair is over. And, a simple solitaire will be the least expensive option; so, if you tire of it, you don''t have a whole lot into it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with valeria101.
Vintage/antique rings are really popular (I got one!) because they ARE CLASSIC DESIGNS. I think some women are Solitare women and some aren''t. If you like that look of one stone, you should got for it. BUT if you love more detailed designs I don''t think "fear of looking dated" should hold you back. There is a thread on Show me the ring that is titled show me your family heirlooms some of those rings are very old and they still look classic and beautiful. When I told me friends I wanted sapphires in my setting people tried to talk me out of it! They said I would get tired of it. All I know is seeing diamond rings with sapphires take my breath away. To me, they are more stiking then just diamond bands. (Not to say those are not beautiful) but for me I wanted something different. Follow your heart and you''ll know which ring is for you. Be sure to post pics of course when you decide!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results