shape
carat
color
clarity

clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwings

Rough_Rock
Can imperfections of SI2 stones be seen with the naked eye?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi pwings!

It depends on the stone. There are eye clean SI2''s and there are SI2''s that have inclusions that are visible to the naked eye.

Heather

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 10:50:47 PM
Author:pwings
Can imperfections of SI2 stones be seen with the naked eye?
it depends on the cut of the stone, the inclusions, their location and the eyes of the viewer.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some yes and some no. They are not all created equal. It all depends what kind of inclusions you are talking about and where they are located. Many are eye clean and beautiful. I hope this helps.
2.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
It also depends on the strictness of the lab that did the grading. There is a better chance of it being a ''clean'' SI when the lab is reputable.

If it is an online diamond you should speak with the seller to establish how ''eye-clean'' it is: You need to establish a baseline for that. Get very specific. If it''s a ''live'' diamond examine it out of bright jewelry store lights.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should see something in most Si2 with the stones loose and looked at from the back. Once set, inclusions may never be seen again.

Some lucky Si2 would be ''eye clean'' no matter how you turn them, set or not. IMO, those with many small, white inclusions have a better chance to be this way, and some type of inclusions are less visible than others (e.g. twinning, sparse clouds and some thin feathers). These would bring the clarity grade down, but are very ''discrete'' under normal lighting. Inclusions placed towards the edges of the stone (away from under the table) might be visible faced-down, but have a good chance to ''disappear'' once the stone is set.

This is about all that comes to mind, right after the obvious ''seeing is believing'' - which is allot better than any guesswork, IMO. If you get to see clarity plots of lab reports or pictures before the diamonds become available in person, some educated guess may shorten the hunt, even if it is not 100% fool proof
2.gif

My 2c

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
My SI2 is absolutely eye clean....even with a x10 loop (face up)

I can only seen inclusions when I turn the diamond upside down, or view from the side.

Blod

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I recent got my .25 carat diamond stud earrings, 3 pairs and my .25 pendant are I/SI2 reset and my jeweler didn''t even know that they were SI2 because they have no visible inclusion. I think the smaller they are the better the chances are that they are eye clean. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results