shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Enhanched Diamonds .. Would We Know One If We Saw One?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Firefly

Rough_Rock
The question is.. . is there a way to know if the diamonds have been treated for better clarity? Would the sales person be honest enough to tell you that it has been treated?

Can a VS / SI diamond be treated to a IF clarity? Or even if the clarity has been enhanced it would still be stated as the original clarity?

I know there are too many questions all at once.
23.gif

I''ve just came across on this over the net and find it really interesting. Anyone has any idea how clarity enhanced works?

Also, what are the pros and cons of treated diamonds? Thanks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Firefly,

Is there a way to know if the diamonds have been treated for better clarity?

Clarity enhanced diamonds involve certain kinds of inclusions which reach the surface and can be obscured by filling with foreign materials. The filling usually shows a distinctive optical effect called a ‘flash’ when viewed under the right lighting conditions and under magnification. It takes a bit of practice to see it but usually it isn’t difficult.

Would the sales person be honest enough to tell you that it has been treated?

Hopefully yes. If they aren’t, or if you have reason to suspect that they aren’t, shop elsewhere. It's both illegal and unethical to sell a stone as untreated that has been clarity enhanced.

Can a VS / SI diamond be treated to a IF clarity?

No.

Or even if the clarity has been enhanced it would still be stated as the original clarity?

That depends on who is doing the grading and what scales they are using. The standard GIA clarity grading scale doesn’t apply to Clarity enhanced stones. Many graders will described a stone with terms like ‘enhanced SI2’ which means that the stone visually looks similar to an untreated SI2. If you have a seller who quotes a particular grade, ask them what they mean by their use of the terms. Not everyone uses the same terms and not everyone means the same things when they use them.

Anyone has any idea how clarity enhanced works?

See the answer to question #1.

Also, what are the pros and cons of treated diamonds?

Enhanced stones usually look better than that stone looked before it was treated. Enhanced stones are usually less expensive than similar looking untreated stones. They are more difficult for most people to resell. They are difficult to comparrison shop because the market is so much smaller than the market for natural untreated stones. Durability issues, for example, are not the same for every stone and can be tricky to evaluate. Special care is required, especially when the ring is repaired.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear Firefly

I was privileged to see some of the early treatments that were fractured filled. They were difficult to see.

At that time there was only one company doing the treating ( that was known ) which was Yehuda Co.

The industry raised a stink about it, as some stones even made it through GIA.

In response, Yehuda began putting a dopant so their treatment could be more easily identified. Then, more companies started fracture filling treatments - most using a dopant to make it more obvious to the gemologist that the stone did have treatment. However it is uncommon but I''ve seen stones that do not have the dopant added, and detection is a little tricky.

Another issue to be considered is if the stone is first laser drilled and the inclusion made less obvious, then the drilling is then fracture filled to "hide" it.

The problem with grading these treatments are whether to grade them as they currently appear, of grade them ESTIMATED how much filler there was and making a conclusive assumption of the grading before treatment.

Also some fracture filling isn''t permanent. It can deteriorate over time, or when the stone is in certain environments. The other side of the coin is that companies that do this type of treatment, will retreat your stone again at no charge, any time in the future, should the stone need it.

I would advise you that if you do make the decision to purchase one of these type stones, that you get told which company did treat it, and make sure you have an agreement in writing for any guarantees or warranties you''re entitled to.

Hope this helps,

Rockdoc

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One intersting way to protect your self is to ask the jeweler to coat the diamond in boracic acid and heat it to red hot infront of you
29.gif
Untreated diamonds will be untouched.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Do people really do this and not tell?
32.gif
I''ve on seen it on USA Certed when it says Clarity Enhanced and a few places on Ebay. Are there grading houses that refuse to grade these, other then GIA? Is AGS a company you can trust? If you go and have the ring looked at locally is this something you ask about? Can they tell if the stone has already been set?
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2005 7:55:22 PM
Author: Matatora

Are there grading houses that refuse to grade these, other then GIA?
Every lab I know of (just the big ones, really) would either not grade them or note the presence of clarity enhancement on the cert (EGL does that). 'Guess they could make mistakes as well, but who does not... The disclosure policies are clear enough.

If there is any exception to this behavior... no idea. Of course, I do not know of each and every of the miriad institutions that provide Ebay sellers with diamond lab reports and various other types of certification.
34.gif

as far as I know, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results