shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Enhanced not advised

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jigmie

Rough_Rock
We are from Canada and were in New York during the month of may as it was our 25th anniversary my husband bought me a new 2.01 princess cut ring. We did buy from the diamond district but bought from a jeweller who had been there for 30 years not some little kiosk in the mall. We paid 12500.00 for the ring. We didnt take the certificate home they mailed it to us a few months later. They had told us it would be a GIA certificate and that the ring was E color. Once we got the certificate it is from some company starting with a U dont have it here right now, but when reading it we notices a *next to the clarity in small printing on the bottom, sure enough it says CE. We told it to a jeweller who did confirm that it was fracture filled. At no time were we told that this was an enhanced diamond otherwise we would have never purchased it. Do we have any recourse at all.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
They have to disclose clarity enhanced when selling it to you - am I understanding you correctly that you were not told it was clarity enhanced at point of purchase?

jigmie

Rough_Rock
Not told at all, not once were the words clarity enhanced, enhanced or anything like that were ever mentioned.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Have you researched this seller, to see if other people have had the same problem? Try google... I would think they have probably done this before. If you feel comfortable, you can post it here, and I''ll do some digging around for you.

I think you definitely have a case, but proving it is an entirely different story.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I believe you have legal recourse if needed, although I don''t know if your being in Canada complicates matters. Hopefully some lawyers will be along soon. First, have you contacted the seller to return it? Did he/she refuse? Do you still have the original receipt? Better pull it out and read all the fine print before starting anything to make sure it wasn''t ''disclosed'' in fine print.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 4:27:32 PM
Author: :)
They have to disclose clarity enhanced when selling it to you - am I understanding you correctly that you were not told it was clarity enhanced at point of purchase?
Yes you do, I second the above comment...legally this must be disclosed at time of purchase...also I believe that G.I.A. wont grade clarity enhanced diamonds.The fact that they sent the cert to you in the mail and didnt have it for you in store is questionable.Contact the store right away and explain what you expect...exchange?money back?I personally would demand my money back.

jigmie

Rough_Rock
We havent contacted them yet, but will be this week, I was floored when we went to have it professionally appraised here to insurance purposes and the appraiser automatically said "do you know that this is clarity enchanced." Almost fell to the fricken floor. You see you cant buy them here and we had never heard of them. Believe me had I heard the word "enhanced at all we would have said no, because you know it means that something was done to an imperfect stone. The jeweller is Golden Classics in New York and I did google them but there doesnt appear to be anything , tried the BBB but there are no complaints, who knows maybe these guys will be straight up and exchange it for the stone that we originally looked at. See they showed us several stones, and we picked what I thought was this one, we even had them pass us the little magnifiying lense so that we could look at it and both my husband and I did look and believe me we would have noticed. I am just sick that this happened to us as it was such a wonderful surprise to have this ring bought for me. The certificate that was mailed to us is a UGL certificate not a GIA certificate which we thought was kinda weird.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may take a while but be persistent and don''t give up till you have what you want!

jigmie

Rough_Rock
your absolutely right, after we found out we started to do some research and the GIA will not certify these stones. They stay as far away from them as possible. The certificate we got also showed a value of the stone which GIA we have now found out does not show. I honestly believe that they knew we were from out of country and that they would never see us again and use the certificate they send us for insurance purposes. I am sure most people probably do however we wanted to make sure what we got was what they said we purchased ........."SURPRISE"

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Wow, no where to be found except for another forum, where someone had spoken about how they got a D grade diamond for a third of the price it would have cost in Canada... the quote is posted under the name Terrie.

Here the link: the jeweler is named in a reply under the article.. (They bought a D, which was a third the price of a G at home) Sounds fishy to me... wonder if she ever found out. But it does say she got to see the certificates...
33.gif

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4447/shopping_in_new_yorks_diamond_district.html?cat=46

ETA: I can't even find the business name online anywhere. New Yorkers, is this normal for sellers in the diamond district?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results