shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity -Earrings question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi,

I have been looking to get round studs (1.20 TCW). Colorless (D-F) and cut (ideal) are very important to me, clarity I am a bit more flexible. I was hoping to get a pair that were SI1 but I found a pair that is SI2 that I am stongly considering. They are AGS certified from Blue Nile. Ideal cut and ID/ID polish symmetry. Blue Nile says they are eye clean but I am nervous about purchasing. I think from the AGS Certificate that it is mainly twinning wisps. Will getting an SI2 clarity defeat the purpose of an ideal cut? Will this make the diamond dull? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
" Dullness" or lack of sparkle isn't caused by bad clarity but by a bad cut - unless we are talking a very heavily included diamond such as an I3. S12 is a great choice for earrings, if the vendor says they are eyeclean that's fine as earrings are viewed very differently to a ring and from a greater distance. AGS certified should be a great choice too. Many here have SI2 clarity diamonds which are completely clean to the eye, it may be possible to see something up very close but it should be minor - if anything at all is visible in this size. Twinning wisps would be less visible too. I take it you have been looking a while and these match up the best for your specs, they sound like they could be great. Don't forget BN has a good return policy if by any chance they don't meet up to your expectations.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
si clarity does not defeat the purpose of ideal cut. for that matter, neither does lower color. well cut diamonds return more light to your eye making inclusions and color harder to see. in a ring i would want a completely colorless eye clean stone, but for earrings where no one should ever be so close to notice anything but sparkle, lower color/clarity is perfectly fine.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to pricescope! I just got new 2.5 ctw. stud earrings for Christmas that are SI2 and ideal cut. They look incredible and the clarity grade certainly doesn''t make them any less spectacular. No one would ever know they weren''t flawless. To me with earrings they aren''t going to be examined as closely by others as say an engagement ring. You can save yourself a lot of money by going with an eye clean SI2 and as I understand it Blue Nile has an excellent return policy if you decide you don''t like them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2006 10:59:25 AM
Author: Sundial
Welcome to pricescope! I just got new 2.5 ctw. stud earrings for Christmas that are SI2 and ideal cut. They look incredible and the clarity grade certainly doesn''t make them any less spectacular. No one would ever know they weren''t flawless. To me with earrings they aren''t going to be examined as closely by others as say an engagement ring. You can save yourself a lot of money by going with an eye clean SI2 and as I understand it Blue Nile has an excellent return policy if you decide you don''t like them.
How did I miss that??????? 2.5 tcw STUDS??????????? I am off to nose for pictures! Sorry for the quick hijack!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When someone is wearing earrings they don''t stare at the diamonds for hours at a time. Inclusions mean less there than in an engagement ring. SI clarity makes great earrings and you should not feel you are going too low.

EYe clean means less in earrings too. No one will look at them as deeply as a solitaire ring. Even a nice pair of I1''s will do very well if you shop a little for good matching and appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results