shape
carat
color
clarity

Clanging noise in setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kidkneystone

Rough_Rock
Please help. I have officially taken the plunge and purchased what I believe to be the perfect ring for a perfect girl.... 1.20 rectangular princess, VS2, F, as ideal as a princess could be cut. Now, I got the little bundle of joy home and realized while I was looking at it I realized that when I held the ring up to my ear (4 prong-think Tiffanys Lucidia sans the x-prongs) I could hear the diamond clanging around. It was ever so subtle but it got me slightly worried. Could anybody give me some insight as to wether I should be worried or is a little bit of clang acceptable.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2006 11:12:02 AM
Author:kidkneystone
Please help. I have officially taken the plunge and purchased what I believe to be the perfect ring for a perfect girl.... 1.20 rectangular princess, VS2, F, as ideal as a princess could be cut. Now, I got the little bundle of joy home and realized while I was looking at it I realized that when I held the ring up to my ear (4 prong-think Tiffanys Lucidia sans the x-prongs) I could hear the diamond clanging around. It was ever so subtle but it got me slightly worried. Could anybody give me some insight as to wether I should be worried or is a little bit of clang acceptable.
Be worried. Go back and have them tighten the setting. There should be no clanging or the stone could fall out.

Regards,
Maurice

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutely take it back. you should not hear a thing. seriously..don''t wait on it. if you are actually hearing it move it is very loose.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree , trot off to the jewellers ASAP!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Put it in a ziplock baggy ASAP and run don''t walk to the the jeweler. This should never have left the jeweler''s bench like that! Was the setting designed for a slightly larger stone? Like a 1.5 carat?

kidkneystone

Rough_Rock
It was supposidly ordered from J'affe (spell ck pls) with the exact measurements. Needless to say I am slightly upset. The Jeweler is a friend of the family so I cant exactly go in blazing but I have called them and was told that it will not be a very big deal to take care of. I also feel that it should not have left the store like that. I was so darn excited that I never thought of checking. Lesson learned.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
lesson learned indeed. hope everything works out for you.
btw..we''d love to see the ring!
20.gif

kidkneystone

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, I am planning the proposal next week in Chicago. It should be great, Im thinking carriage ride at night after a day of shopping and eating (two of her favorite things). Any suggestions. Hopefully everything will come together.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely take that baby back to the store and have it properly secured in the setting. Diamonds should not Shake, rattle or roll!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I dunno the people at WF were not worried when I told them. " The diamond will not fall out as long as the prongs are holding it, even if it is spinning." I mailed them back my ring for a second time on Tuesday because my stone had come loose again spinning left and right and jiggling up and down. "I don''t know why the prongs are loose but obviously we want the ring back here to tighten them. We can tighten them the day it comes in. " I am obviously frustrated with the prongs issue in my case. Why do prongs come loose? I would not think that would happen with a custom made head?
8.gif

And yes I know for 100% sure that I did not knock my hand even slightly against something.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My prongs need tightening from time to time...platinum is a malleable metal so I would not expect them to always be like rock solid with absolutely no movement. Guess the movement can cause a little bit of space between the diamond and the prongs eventually.

It's really not a big deal. I know that it seems scary to think about the expensive diamond jiggling around, but I just take it to my local jeweler and they tighten them in less than a minute. Oh and clean it and all that fun stuff too.
5.gif

I would not bother sending back my ring to any jeweler through the mail just to have prongs tightened....what a waste of shipping $$ and then I'd be without my ring for a week. I'd also end up doing it like 2ce a year so that would be a real waste!

Last time they came loose I felt really paranoid, I don't know why, and took it in, and the girl said they were BARELY just a tiny bit loose and was surprised I could hear it moving in the setting, talk about being in-tune with my diamond ring...she said I shouldn't even have worried and I probably could have worn it a bit more before bringing it in. No way..I was so worried. But it is true that the diamond won't fall out as long as the 4 prongs are still there....but if one breaks the diamond may fall out.

With my next upgrade I'm going 6 prongs for the mental security and just because I want a different style. Bored with 4 prong!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have to send it back to them, otherwise anything that goes wrong with the setting in anyway is my fault...and with three people having porosity issues that makes me nervous. "Please don''t have it done locally as that will void the lifetime warranty on the setting" It is expensive and stressful and I realized that I have spent more time without my ring then with it...
15.gif

You maybe right perhaps I ought to have it switched to a 6 prong head. I hate seeing it go up and down left and right....

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 1:47:49 PM
Author: Matatora
I have to send it back to them, otherwise anything that goes wrong with the setting in anyway is my fault...and with three people having porosity issues that makes me nervous. 'Please don't have it done locally as that will void the lifetime warranty on the setting' It is expensive and stressful and I realized that I have spent more time without my ring then with it...
15.gif

You maybe right perhaps I ought to have it switched to a 6 prong head. I hate seeing it go up and down left and right....

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that something as simple as having a jeweler tighten a prong would void a liftetime warranty. Not that I'm advocating being dishonest, but if you did have a reputable local jeweler tighten a prong (which, as Mara said, takes less then a minute) and months later the ring revealed porosity, would you actually tell them that someone else touched one of the prongs once? Would they care? As I know all too well, there is NO way a jeweler can cause porosity AFTER the ring is already cast. It seems awfully unreasonable for you to be sending your ring and diamond across the country simply to have a prong tightened. Is that really WF's stance?

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Yes but what if something happens to the diamond while the prongs are being tightened? I imagine that Whiteflash would take responsibility for the damage but a jeweler that did not sell you the stone would not.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 5:00:08 PM
Author: SquareCut
Yes but what if something happens to the diamond while the prongs are being tightened? I imagine that Whiteflash would take responsibility for the damage but a jeweler that did not sell you the stone would not.
Good point.
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 6:00:11 PM
Author: kaleigh
Date: 2/25/2006 5:00:08 PM

Author: SquareCut

Good point.
2.gif

As long as the stone is insured, I'm not sure why it would matter. It would seem to me less risky (and less $$) to have have a good local jeweler tighten a prong than have the ring sent across the country. I guess, for me, it would be nice to know that even if I have someone local do a simple job on my ring that I would still be protected by the manufacturer against major structural defects (eg porosity). But, to be fair, I have no idea what WF's policy is. Only going on what Mat said. They do, of course, seem to be a company that stands behind their products.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 3:05:50 PM
Author: Demelza

Date: 2/25/2006 1:47:49 PM
Author: Matatora
I have to send it back to them, otherwise anything that goes wrong with the setting in anyway is my fault...and with three people having porosity issues that makes me nervous. ''Please don''t have it done locally as that will void the lifetime warranty on the setting'' It is expensive and stressful and I realized that I have spent more time without my ring then with it...
15.gif

I have to say, I''m kind of surprised that something as simple as having a jeweler tighten a prong would void a liftetime warranty. Not that I''m advocating being dishonest, but if you did have a reputable local jeweler tighten a prong (which, as Mara said, takes less then a minute) and months later the ring revealed porosity, would you actually tell them that someone else touched one of the prongs once? Would they care? As I know all too well, there is NO way a jeweler can cause porosity AFTER the ring is already cast. It seems awfully unreasonable for you to be sending your ring and diamond across the country simply to have a prong tightened. Is that really WF''s stance?
Dem the things in qoutes are taken from Lesley''s emails to me. I was not thrilled with that either, nor with having to pay to have it shipped each time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results