shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! I am looking at 2 Chrysoberyl and was wondering which one to go for?? Please give me your opinions:)

The round (more yellow)~ 1.64ct., 6.8mm round brilliant. This chrysoberyl is an extremely bright medium yellow without the green tones usually seen in this gemstone. It has a small inclusion near the girdle. Price: $164.00

The oval (more golden with more sparkle)~ 1.77 cts, 8.1x5.5. This chrysoberyl has a very slightly greenish, medium yellow color and is better than eyeclean with a few small bubble-like inclusions on one end
Price: $140.00

cb-6419g_1550_general.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
21.gif

cr-1919g_2103_general.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
the top one looks bland and boring..normally i like odd colors and weird..maybe autumn colors i guess you could say but that top ones just reaks of boredom..the bottom one doesn''t really jump out at me either but if i had to choose I would take that one

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/17/2010 11:11:39 PM
Author: amethystguy
the top one looks bland and boring..normally i like odd colors and weird..maybe autumn colors i guess you could say but that top ones just reaks of boredom..the bottom one doesn''t really jump out at me either but if i had to choose I would take that one
hi tks for the input! Yes it does appear ''bland'' to me too, why is that so? But I thought it shows the pretty cut well! Do you look out for one without green or for one with the classic slight green? TIA

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like the green ones but the yellow ones are not bad either..if you look at that bottom one which i just noticed the background looks like the stone had to little light put on it so may actually be more lively than the picture shows which i think is the case or maybe the WB was not set properly..i actually now think that bottom one might look better than the picture shows it to be

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably wouldn't pick either because they both appear to have brown in them. I'm not a fan of golden yellow, but perhaps you like golden yellow??? I personally prefer yellows with a touch of green.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/17/2010 11:45:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I probably wouldn''t pick either because they both appear to have brown in them. I''m not a fan of golden yellow, but perhaps you like golden yellow??? I personally prefer yellows with a touch of green.
Hi TL! I do like golden yellow, but they always seems to have some brown in them. Is it possible to find a intense golden yellow Chrysoberyl?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 12:01:35 AM
Author: chictomato

Date: 3/17/2010 11:45:10 PM
I probably wouldn''t pick either because they both appear to have brown in them. I''m not a fan of golden yellow, but perhaps you like golden yellow??? I personally prefer yellows with a touch of green.
Hi TL! I do like golden yellow, but they always seems to have some brown in them. Is it possible to find a intense golden yellow Chrysoberyl?
Golden yellow is just another way of saying "brownish yellow." I think what you want is a vivid yellow stone (as little green or brown as possible) and that''s very difficult to find, especially in chrysoberyl.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d probably also go with the oval, but it''s hard to tell from the photos cause they''re quite similar.

P. S. Have you looked at yellow beryls (not chrysoberyl but beryl, or how they call them - heliodors)? They''re often heated into a very nice, warm, slightly blushy shade of yellow and can be very sparkly. They also don''t cost too much, but are not exactly an everyday stone due to slightly lower durability.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 5:25:21 AM
Author: ma re
I''d probably also go with the oval, but it''s hard to tell from the photos cause they''re quite similar.

P. S. Have you looked at yellow beryls (not chrysoberyl but beryl, or how they call them - heliodors)? They''re often heated into a very nice, warm, slightly blushy shade of yellow and can be very sparkly. They also don''t cost too much, but are not exactly an everyday stone due to slightly lower durability.

Hi ma re tks for the input, yes I have seen some beryls but would prefer a Chrysoberyl for its hardness:)

Hi edward, where can I find one with precision cut? TIA

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 5:32:09 AM
Author: Edward Bristol

Not sooooo difficult to find but definetely above 200/carat in that size. They are much nicer than any yellow sapphire.
Really? Golden yellow around 2 carats for $200/ct? I''ve seen them for cheaper since it''s not the most desirable color for chrysoberyl.

Chico,
Did you ask Gene? He sometimes gets in chrysoberyls, or maybe he can source one for you. He cut Mochi''s spectacular asscher chrysoberyl that is now sitting in a green gold ring by Whiteflash.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 6:02:21 AM
Author: chictomato

Date: 3/18/2010 5:25:21 AM
Author: ma re

Hi ma re tks for the input, yes I have seen some beryls but would prefer a Chrysoberyl for its hardness:)

Hi edward, where can I find one with precision cut? TIA
A lot of heliodors are very brownish yellow, and coupled with the low RI, lack sparkle, unless very well precision cut. I don''t find them as attractive as chrysoberyls.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks TL! Yes I had asked Gene before, no luck so far:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
From the pictures I like the look of the oval one better, mainly because it shows more life. Have you asked Barry to take photos of them together so you can get a better idea?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have a startling yellow heliodor with tons of sparkle that is downright gorgeous from Peter. I would look into that if you''re willing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s really strange is that picture wise, I prefer the oval but written description wise, I prefer the round. The picture of the round doesn’t match the description of long extremely bright; it fact, it looks dull. The oval is showing a LOT of liveliness. Colour wise, neither appeal to me since I prefer a “sunny” bright yellow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 8:17:34 AM

Date: 3/18/2010 5:32:09 AM
Author: Edward Bristol
... it''s not the most desirable color for chrysoberyl.

There seems to be a general misperception on how fine “semi-precious” gems are priced.

It is true that yellow scapolite is less expensive than yellow zircon; and that those are again cheaper than yellow chrysoberyl, but the way a high-end gem is priced does not start with a classification of variety but is based only on sight.

On its way from the mine such a gemstone is re-valued by traders who probably do not know (or care) about the differences between scapolite and beryl. They buy and sell a high-end semi-precious yellow gem.

Hence they will ask, and get, the price for an extra-fine secondary yellow gem (which may be anywhere between say $50 to $250/carat, depending on where you stand in the trade)

Therefore a beautiful looking gem (durability given) is always going to be reasonably expensive. A top-1% scapolite is still going to a top 1% secondary gem in price.

You may say: “It is only scapolite!”, but the seller will shrug and say “It is beautiful”.

Yes, may-be you can get 10% off with some argument over varieties but that’s all. (Or you may snatch it quickly without negotiating because you know it is a chrysoberyl)

Our focus on varieties does not count much in Sri Lanka or Africa. There are no gem/color list-prices or rocket-science procedures out there but only a chain of individual buying and selling decisions leading up to a seller’s price.

Other opinions or Qs welcome.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you Ed, but in the end, even if a seller buys a golden yellow chrysoberyl for a high price, the buyer will only pay so much for it, because in the marketplace, brown is a modifier that decreases the value of a stone.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Yellow is brown when tone is strong enough.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/19/2010 9:15:04 AM
Author: Kismet
From the pictures I like the look of the oval one better, mainly because it shows more life. Have you asked Barry to take photos of them together so you can get a better idea?
Hi Kismet, that''s a good idea:) tks! I had left Barry an email, will keep you guys update as soon!

Thanks to all others for the helpful references and advise:) Have a wonderful week ahead!

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 9:57:27 AM
I hear you Ed, but in the end, even if a seller buys a golden yellow chrysoberyl for a high price, the buyer will only pay so much for it, because in the marketplace, brown is a modifier that decreases the value of a stone.
Yes, true, if golden means "muddy-brown-dull" (not shining-intense-rich), somebody has made a mistake (it was not a fine gem anyways).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2010 12:41:36 PM
Author: colormyworld
Yellow is brown when tone is strong enough.
I''d say when it''s toned down enough and desaturated enough, just like orange, but the two will show distinctly different shades of brown. Even some reds can be "turned into" brown by this procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results