clarity

Chrono...show me RED...with no modifier of any kind...please

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Chrono...show me RED...with no modifier of any kind...pl

pregcurious|1361566636|3387941 said:
Chrono|1361566083|3387933 said:
Yup, I've seen some stones (red and blue spinels) black out outdoors too.

I wonder why they black out outdoors.

A stone has to look good outdoors, in my office, and in restaurant lighting (which is dim, but the stone has to sparkle at least) for me to keep it. EDIT: I just realized though, I do have one stone that looks best indoors, at night, and I've kept that.

I absolutely agree Preg unless the stone has other redeeming qualities BUT they have to be really redeeming! The only reason I kept my blacking out spinel was because of the indoors colour!!!!

I don't understand why natural daylight has the effect of blacking out stones because you would think the natural sunlight makes the gem fluoresce more (if it has fluor) and so brighter. I know that many blue sapphires black out outside also.

I believe that in the US lightbulbs have changed now? In the UK we can (thankfully) still get the old style ones and I much prefer these.

I'm sorry but I don't recall your banana photo - I really do not have a good memory.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

pregcurious|1361567596|3387956 said:
CSs seem so temperamental to lighting conditions. With Fortekitty's message about hers all chipping, and Chrono pointing out the skyrocketing prices, I feel a little big less excited about CSs today.

I haven't bought one in a long time because I'm saving up for settings, but I think I just lost interest in owning a emerald ring. Maybe a pendant would be okay...mutter mutter.

Unless you walk into a metal door frame like I did. :lol: Please don't let me discourage you!! I tend to make swift movements with my hands when I need something, and my rings have taken the blunt of it. I am impatient and when I want something, I expect it in my hands immediately so it's not uncommon to see me dismantle something while walking and not paying attention to the file cabinet in my way. A lot of times I'll reach for something while turning around or doing something else, and that's when most of the damage happens.

I still wear my stuff, just not at work anymore. But seeing how I'm at work 11 hours a day, and I don't wear jewelry at home, that doesn't leave a lot of time! Plus I prefer to match/accent my jewelry color to my clothing and gems just don't work as well as diamonds most of the time.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

LD, do you think it's internal shadowing that causes blacking out outdoors? I've noticed that my spinel looks brighter (and more saturated) in diffused light (i.e. cloudy day) than in direct out door light (i.e. sunny day).

I wrote in another thread that Pala states that light can actually be brighter on a cloudy day:
Surprisingly, north skylight (or south skylight in the southern hemisphere) is actually stronger on cloudy days.
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

Perhaps on a cloudy day, because the light is actually brighter, and coming from more directions (i.e. diffuse), stones look better than on a sunny day?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Fortekitty, it sounds like there is only solution for you...fancy colored diamonds. Just kidding. Your collection is beautiful...I am ogling your sleepy blue spinel.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1361569497|3387984 said:
LD, do you think it's internal shadowing that causes blacking out outdoors? I've noticed that my spinel looks brighter (and more saturated) in diffused light (i.e. cloudy day) than in direct out door light (i.e. sunny day).

I wrote in another thread that Pala states that light can actually be brighter on a cloudy day:
Surprisingly, north skylight (or south skylight in the southern hemisphere) is actually stronger on cloudy days.
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

Perhaps on a cloudy day, because the light is actually brighter, and coming from more directions (i.e. diffuse), stones look better than on a sunny day?

No I don't think so because we have many cloudy days here in the UK (you can count the sunny days on a pair of hands for the last two years - it's depressing). My spinel is a vampire and clearly gets his red from blood!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock

I wonder if someone could post a picture of a bright red spinel blacking out outdoors? I think my new one displays more extinction outdoors than indoors, but I wouldn't say it "blacks out" the way some of my darker gemstones do under low lighting conditions (where they really do look very dark with just specks of color here and there), just that there are more dark regions. But maybe I don't have my rarified PS lingo down :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

deorwine|1361573563|3388051 said:
I wonder if someone could post a picture of a bright red spinel blacking out outdoors? I think my new one displays more extinction outdoors than indoors, but I wouldn't say it "blacks out" the way some of my darker gemstones do under low lighting conditions (where they really do look very dark with just specks of color here and there), just that there are more dark regions. But maybe I don't have my rarified PS lingo down :)

I've posted mine a few times as an example of what you don't want to see! I can't find my photos anywhere on my computer (I remember I had trouble finding them last time as well) but it was fairly recently so if you know how to search on here you may be able to find it.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock

Ah! There was a whole topic on this a couple of years ago with your red spinel playing a prominent role, as well as a funny pic posted by Michael E: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blackout-tendencies-in-red-gems.152311/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blackout-tendencies-in-red-gems.152311/[/URL]

Thanks for the pointer -- I should have thought to do that search myself. That really helps me understand what is meant!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

deorwine|1361576281|3388102 said:
Ah! There was a whole topic on this a couple of years ago with your red spinel playing a prominent role, as well as a funny pic posted by Michael E: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blackout-tendencies-in-red-gems.152311/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blackout-tendencies-in-red-gems.152311/[/URL]

Thanks for the pointer -- I should have thought to do that search myself. That really helps me understand what is meant!

I can't believe it but I called it a vampire back then as well! Glad you found it. It's a lovely stone inside at night which is why I kept it but outside it's dark dark dark (although you do see flashes that are pretty).

Interestingly Michael answered Preg's question about daylight and why stones black out. He suggested that it's because the spinel doesn't fluoresce. It's one stone I've never tested. I'll do that tomorrow and report back.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade

37189_0.jpg

Is it red enough for you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results