shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrome diopsides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with chrome diopsides. They are inexpensive and have beautiful green color. I''ve noticed that in most cases the cut is quite shallow. Can anyone tell me why? Also, does anyone know websites selling them - so far I have found them only on ebay.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrome diopside can be a gorgeous green but they are usually found in smaller sizes. Once they get large, some tend towards getting overly dark. However, this is just a generality. Perhaps what you are seeing are just poorly cut stones (with regards to being shallow). This is usually done to preserve carat weight, and price that comes with the retained weight. I’ve sometimes seen some at www.acstones.com You might also find some at www.mineralminers.com I’m not sure if www.thegemtrader.com has any at the moment.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
You probably know this, chrome diopside is indicator mineral for diamonds.

I love them too but because they are so soft, I indulged my "I want"instinct by buying chrome diopside as a mineral specimen. You might check into a specimen, many of them are quite beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are soft and have a low RI. I''m not particularly fond of them for those two reasons. However, they are one of the more inexpensive green stones.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 1:53:21 PM
Author: Chrono
Chrome diopside can be a gorgeous green but they are usually found in smaller sizes. Once they get large, some tend towards getting overly dark. However, this is just a generality. Perhaps what you are seeing are just poorly cut stones (with regards to being shallow). This is usually done to preserve carat weight, and price that comes with the retained weight. I’ve sometimes seen some at www.acstones.com You might also find some at www.mineralminers.com I’m not sure if www.thegemtrader.com has any at the moment.
Yes, chrome diopside tend to get very dark in sizes over 2 carats. As a result, they are often cut somewhat shallow to maximize color. Since a stone with a deeper pavilion will be heavier than one with a shallow pavilion, weight retention is often sacrificed in order to improve the color. But better to have a lighter stone that is saleable than a heavier stone that nobody wants to buy. Price comes with selling the stone, not with retained weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results