shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas upgrade ruined by Mervis

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Well ... maybe not ruined ... but they ordered me the wrong Precision Set setting & now they''re giving me attitude! Thank goodness I have 30 days to return!

Here''s the story - I ordered a new setting, solitiare with double prongs & micropave around the basket (custom work) and it was promised to be delivered to me before we left for the holidays. So Saturday morning, I go to pick it up - I had to wait an hour and a half for the jeweler to finish setting it, and as soon as they showed it to me, I said it was THE WRONG SETTING. It was actually identical to what I ordered, except it didn''t have the micropave around the basket that I wanted. Then they get the sales rep & she says that I was looking at solitaires - excuse me, but I know what I ordered!!! Anyway, then she apologized, and said she could do the exchange right away. But, I had to leave right away to catch my flight, and didn''t have time to wait for them to re-set it in my old setting. So, she told me to tak eit with me, because I have 30 days to return it, and we could exchange it afterwards.

After I left the store, I realized that they didn''t even set the diamond in the ring properly, if it had been the right setting - the arrows in the diamond aren''t lined up with the prongs.

I was SO disappointed. Now, instead of going to back to them to exchange it, I''m thinking of just returning the setting for another piece of jewlery and having another jeweler make me a new setting. Since my diamond was a trade-in, I actually had store credit that I used to buy the setting, so either way, I can''t get cash back I don''t think - maybe I can just get some simple diamond studs from them instead ...

So, I called back this morning, and my sales rep wasn''t in yet, so I spoke to someone else, and he sounded doubtful that the mistake wqas theirs - excuse me, but my husband has spent over $20,000 at this jewlery store in the past 2 years, and these people dare to give me attittude?!?!?! Not to sound like a snot, but I couldn''t believe that he wasn''t being totally ingratiating. To the sales peoples defense when I was there on SAt., they were all very apologetic and shocked at the error, but I don''t want to be doubted for a second by people who are supposed to be selling me these expensive items!

Anyway, I left a message for the sales girl who did the sale, and I''ll let you know what happens after I talk to her.

So, it''s actually a nice setting anyway, but I am so disappointed by this whole process that it has almost totally ruined the experience of getting a fun new upgrade. I may just end up going to Quest or someone good to make my new setting, but it''s going to be such an extra expense that now I feel bad that my husband''s going to have to spend more out of pocket.

I will go take some pics now & post them and let you know what happens ...

Hope everyone else had better Xmas bling experiences!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Sorry vespergirl,

That sucks
29.gif

Don''t accept crap, that new diamond of yours deserves nothing but the spiffiest of settings.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Here are the pics - from the top - the split prongs don''t look that good, and the arrows don''t line up:

IMG_1399top.JPG

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Second top view

IMG_1405top2.JPG

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
No micropave around the basket

IMG_1403nomicroside.JPG

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Second side view

IMG_1402nomicroside2.JPG

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
so sorry about your issues. your diamond is totally gorgeous though
emsmile.gif
and i hope you get this resolved. i found pricescope after having a couple of custom pieces made, and although it seems like there are many success stories, it''s stories like yours that fluster me a little. i have a gorgeous pair of diamond earrings that i want changed from a post to a dangle and my jeweler is in another state, but i am soo hesitant to go to a local whose bench i know little/nothing about.
hope this resolves for you soon.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear this, Vesper....what a bummer!!! The fact that the salespeople at the jewelry store were being rude and unaccomodating would totally piss me off too.....I dont blame you at all!!! Again, I''m sorry, and I hope this issue is resolved ASAP...
Your diamond is super-gorgeous though.....
2.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Man that sucks!! I can totally see why you would not be happy. It''s just sloppy for the guy who actually set the diamond to not even line it up right. Boo!

I totally know some of the people over there at Mervis. If there is any way I can help you out let me know. If I knew who did the sale & who talked to you etc. I could call up one of the Mervis''s & let them know.

Let me know if I can help you out. You should get what you want & in a nice manner too!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
LadyAmethyst, you are such a sweetheart! I have to say, the girl who worked with me on it promised to help me fix it when I saw her Saturday, so hopefully when she calls me back she''kll resolve it without a problem.

If I have problems after I talk to her though, I''ll definitely let you know - thanks again for the offer! But, I think that they will want to resolve it, because as you know, bad word of mouth travels farther than good, and I''m sure they don''t want people thinking that they do shoddy work ...

Have a great new year!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure they will take care of you. But do let me know if anyone gives you attitude & I will bust them.
2.gif
Seriously though, ordering the wrong setting is one thing - frustrating & perhaps sloppy - but you know they will fix it in the end. But getting attitude from a salesperson is just so wrong.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry your ring didn''t end up being as you expected; your diamond is gorgeous though. I hope they make it right for you soon.

sera

Ideal_Rock
How disappointing. I sure hope everything works out well for you.

I was treated with an attitude by the front desk of a salon (looong story) and I (nor my friends or family or acquaintances) have been there in 3 years because of that attitude they gave in regards to their mistake. We have not been back for any product or service; they lost out on a lot of $. Mistakes happen, but it''s how they deal with resolving the mistakes that says a lot about their business.
38.gif
Hopefully you won''t receive any more ''tude!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a total bummer! I would just have them order the correct setting, though. No need to go spending more money if they can correct their mistake and get you what you want pretty easily.

It sounds like your salesperson knows what''s up and she was apologetic. I would complain about the rude salesperson to the manager, though!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I thought I should add that it''s not necessarily common knowledge that a jeweler should set the arrows a certain way. Unless you specified, they probably had no idea! There was a big long thread about it when Harriet got her diamond from Whiteflash and the arrows were set a certain way and she wanted them another way. If you told them, though, disregard this!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I am sorry that your ring did not turn out the way that you were expecting, that is a shame that they et it in the wrong setting. I hope that it is resolved soon!

susi

Shiny_Rock
vespergirl, you''re going to think this is funny.....but, I opened your thread and skipped down to the ring without reading....and my first reaction was....I love the simplicity. The side view is lovely.....I love the emphasis on the metal and stone so your mount, to me, is perfect ( except for the arrow placement)

Many of us like our arrow placement to be a certain way so I hope these issues are resolved for you and you come back and post the happy result!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 11:48:26 AM
Author:vespergirl

After I left the store, I realized that they didn''t even set the diamond in the ring properly, if it had been the right setting - the arrows in the diamond aren''t lined up with the prongs.
Vesper, did you specify that''s how you wanted the diamond set? Because if not, there is no ''proper'' way to set the stone.

In most cases, the stone is set with two primary things in mind: hiding inclusions under prongs and making sure inscriptions are visible (if they exist).

If you have a preference on how the arrows appear, you really have to make that clear. There is no ''right way''.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t know there was a certain way the arrows lined up. Arrows are arrows to me...but I''m new to this. I''m just happy if I can see them! hehe. I think your ring is pretty and would look better with the pave around the basket. You should let the jeweler fix the mistake. No need to spend extra money. Hope it gets resolved.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback! I wasn''t aware that you had to tell them how to set the arrows - They actually set it correctly in the temp setting, so when they put them in off-center in this setting, I figured they messed it up.

I still haven''t talked to my salesperson - I think she''s on vacation - but now I''m not sure if I want to just get the original one I ordered. Mervis actually botched two other custom rings we had ordered last year (our wedding bands) and my husband''s was just the wrong size so they fixed that, but I ordered a ring with 11 diamonds that came back with 7, and we didn''t have time for them to fix it, so I just returned it & ordered my wedding band from bluenile. So, I haven''t had the best history with them on the custom orders. For that reason, I may just go & see what other settings they have - if there''s something I can order with no custom work, great, but if it''s going to require custom, I may just use my credit for another jewelry piece and have Leon Mege make me a nice solitaire ;-) I''ll let you know ...

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I know your disappointed that it isn''t what you wanted but it is still beautiful. I think though that I would also prefer the pave around the basket for the extra wow factor and I love that look. I hope that everything works out for you and you can have what you wanted all along. I understand about the arrow allignment cause my arrows are alligned with the prongs too. I thought that is how it was supposed to be done. The only way I would opt for anything different is if there was a noticable inclusion and I just had to have that stone. I am sorry and hope that you get it all worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results