shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas engagement ring troubles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Well my trouble is the same as most people''s money vs quality. My jeweller has put forward several options afordable to me for an 18ct white gold ring including a solitaire diamond. I did want a half carat GIA heart but had no joy finding one so these are my best options. If anyone has time and with limited amount of info I have please let me know which you feel is best or which to stay clear of...

Many thanks!

Pear
Colour E
Clarity SI2
GIA Laser inscribed
Depth 68.6
Table 59
Pol G
Sym G
6.07 x 4.34 x 2.99
Pear
Colour H
Clarity VS1
GIA Laser inscribed
Depth 46.8
Table 66
Pol G
Sym G
7.34x4.74x2.22
Pear
Colour H
Clarity SI2
GIA Laser inscribed
Depth 66.7
Table 52
Pol VG
Sym G
6.14x4.62x3.08
Round
0.45ct
Colour F
Clarity SI1
GIA Laser inscribed
Depth 56.1
Table 64
Pol Good
Sym Good
4.99x5.03x2.81
Crown angles are less than 30 degrees

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Sorry forgot to say No Fluorescence on any of them

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id avoid the round.
crown is shallow and a large table == trouble.

Are the si2 pears eyeclean?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the second pear has a very very shallow depth.
the crown angles on the round are too shallow.
i would stay away from those two for sure.

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Thanks I haven''t seen the Si2 pears though as always I am told they are fine. The shalow depths of some the stones is off putting for sure and I guess they are just done to make them look bigger.

I''m still unsure if they will look fine as a solitaire, they may not be big enough.

Though I have been shown a 52pt Heart vs1 G/H 5.5x4.9x2.66 that looked really good and in budget but it only had an appraisal from a freelance gia trained guy which is a little off putting, even though the light return was good even for a heart shape.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance that limited info could be expanded upon?

I wouldn't know to dismiss any of those for sure... By a very rough guess, I would agree with the other posts (i.e. perhaps the shallow pear is not the brightest of the bunch and who knows that the rest of the proportions of the round might look like given the note on the report).

Any chance a diamond with pictures & lab report online may fit the bill?

About the half carat heart, how hard can it be
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2005 10:06:34 AM
Author: dgsmithbechtel

Though I have been shown a 52pt Heart vs1 G/H 5.5x4.9x2.66 that looked really good and in budget but it only had an appraisal from a freelance gia trained guy which is a little off putting, even though the light return was good even for a heart shape.
Could an appraiser put the matter to rest?

You may want to take a look over this database that includes pictures unlike the most. This is a (true) wholesaler so you would have to ask a local jeweler (or one online) to bring in a stone. The price is up to the respective retailer. There are some GIA certified hearts between .6 and .8 cts.

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Still waiting for the other details but here goes on one of the pears...

Pear Brilliant
6.08x4.35x2.99
depth 68.7%
Table 59%
Girdle Thin to Very Thick, Faceted
Cutlet None
Pol Good
Sym Good
Si2
Charactoristics Crystal, Needle
Color E
Flour None
Comments None

Also this one is about 70 dollars less than the others (not that it matters). The Heart I wish had a better report, if I could just get one with a GIA report. Argh!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If I had to choose one of the four diamonds, I''d choose the third pear you listed. With nothing to go on but the numbers, this one looks the best numberwise. It''s still a little deep, but may not look too small for its weight.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'd look more at that heart. It seems to be the shape you have your heart set on (no pun intended), and if the light return is beautiful, then it may very well be a gorgeous stone. A report doesn't make a gorgeous stone...your eye sees that. Get another appraisal to reassure yourself, but I wouldn't disregard it yet...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I would go about this a slightly different way than you. I would first decide what shape stone I wanted to buy (and make sure if possible that your fiancee likes that shape!), then try to get the best one you can for the budget.

You seem to be deciding between pear, round, and heart. The most popular e-rings are round and princess. Not saying you have to go with that, but just that you should make sure your girl likes a fancy shape before getting one! Is it something you''ve discussed, or can you get an idea from her friends or from other jewelry that she has and likes?

I''d also recommend working with Good old Gold or Whiteflash. They seem to be able to get people the best stones and settings for the $ and are highly regarded on pricescope.

I think your idea is great to get a simple solitaire setting and put your $ into the stone. Settings can always be changed later if you/she want, and a solitaire is a very classy choice.

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Well some good news today, my jeweller found me the one I wanted almost in budget too so here goes...

Heart Brilliant Laser Incribed
0.50 carat
Colour G
Clarity SI1
Depth 48.9%
Table 64%
Girdle Thin to Thick Faceted
Cutlet None
Polish VG
Symetry VG
Flouresence None
5.07x5.87x2.87
Charactoristics Feather, Crystal
Comments None
All seems ok and his feedback on the clarity is positive, he tends to be quite open about it and tells me when the inclusions are visable so hopefully it should make a nice ring. pics to follow soon!

9.gif
just hoping it looks big enough
9.gif

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Well I finally got the ring and managed to take an almost decent pic...
heart1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Great news!
5.gif

... but can''t see the picture.

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Hmmm not sure how to insert a pic but here goes with an attached file

heart17052005ps2.jpg

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
ohh and yes most important she loves it, couldn''t hold on to it for christmas so she''s off out with it on now!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is one of the best outlines I have ever seen on a heart! Congrats on finding your stone!
36.gif

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
It''s beautiful! I am so glad you got what you wanted.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I was hoping you''d hold out for the heart shape that you really wanted...and it looks like you found a beauty!!

Congratulatons to you both!

widget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome!!!
I dont like a lot of heart shaped diamonds but that one is kicken!
congrates!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emlove.gif
emlove.gif

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
emlove.gif
emlove.gif
emlove.gif

Fantastic heart, congratulations, prettiest I have ever seen!!!!!!!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
That''s one beauty! Congratulations!

recran

Rough_Rock
Wow! I thought I didn''t like hearts, but that''s awesome! *whine* I want one!

dgsmithbechtel

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help and yes I agree it is always worth holding out for the one you want!!!

heart2171205.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Dan! I have a soft spot for heart diamonds.
30.gif
My first engagement ring was a half carat heart diamond in a solitaire setting too!! That was WAY back in 1983, and I ultimately did not marry that man, but I miss my beautiful heart diamond to this day.

Good luck with your proposal. I''d love to see a hand shot after you give it to her.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on finding the ring that you really wanted. It is a great shape. We do need hand shots now!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring. Congratulations!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful shape on that heart. I can say it is the most true heart shape I have ever seen in a diamond. Way to go to hold out for the one you wanted. It is beautiful. Congrats on finding a jeweler who would work with you. Congrats and best wishes on your engagment as well.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results