shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing toi et moi stone sizes!

mags12098

Rough_Rock
Hi there, currently choosing between two toi et moi sets for an engagement ring. Appreciate any PSers thoughts:

Set 1
6.67 mm OEC champagne/light yellow VS2
6.2*6.7mm top lustre sapphire, radiant
In attached photo

Set 2
5.7mm OEC M VS2 (can't show stone as it will be cut if we go for this)
5.7mm asscher cut sapphire, higher graded blue than above

Both are very similar in price, we were in love with set 1 stones but a bit worried about set 1 being too big for a K finger size but does anyone have an opinion on what they would choose or change about these sets?

IMG-20240316-WA0001.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the two stones in the photo above.

The step-cut sapphire in the video has a flat crown and seemingly more tilt windows, as compared to the radiant sapphire.

A ring size K is a US size 5.25 -- honestly, the setting you choose will really affect how comfortable the ring is and how well it accommodates the stones.

Is there any way you can go somewhere to try on two simple solitaire rings each with 6.5mm (which is a fairly standard stone size so should be more available than, say, 6.67mm), and stack them on the same finger? That will give a somewhat realistic feel and look of the larger two stones. If you can't readily find 6.5mm solitaires, maybe order CZ versions from Amazon or similar?

I look forward to seeing how this project turns out -- I love toi et moi rings, particularly with diamonds & sapphires!

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
I have a toi et moi with two 1 ct diamonds, each are standard 6.5ish mm size. My ring finger is a US 4.75 (you're a 5.25 according to above). I feel my ring is very very comfortable, she's one of the most comfortable rings I own. It's not too big and honestly I could've went bigger (dreaded DSS!) The stones are set very low so I never have trouble wearing it, I forget it's on most of the time. She's too big for my ring finger so I use a sizer to wear her as an ering when the mood stikes. Most of the time 20240326_202954.jpg I wear her on middle or pointer fingers, the style is very versatile. (She's probably not up to PS standards, but she is a sparkler, shoots lotsa rainbows, and I fell in love when I found her.) Hope this comparison helps!

Attachments

• 20240326_203046.jpg
    20240326_203046.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 14

mags12098

Rough_Rock
I have a toi et moi with two 1 ct diamonds, each are standard 6.5ish mm size. My ring finger is a US 4.75 (you're a 5.25 according to above). I feel my ring is very very comfortable, she's one of the most comfortable rings I own. It's not too big and honestly I could've went bigger (dreaded DSS!) The stones are set very low so I never have trouble wearing it, I forget it's on most of the time. She's too big for my ring finger so I use a sizer to wear her as an ering when the mood stikes. Most of the time 20240326_202954.jpg I wear her on middle or pointer fingers, the style is very versatile. (She's probably not up to PS standards, but she is a sparkler, shoots lotsa rainbows, and I fell in love when I found her.) Hope this comparison helps!

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. I fell in love with my original set of stones too and then back peddled. I'm from the UK where e rings and jewellery in general tend to be on the smaller side so I think that was a factor.

mags12098

Rough_Rock
I prefer the two stones in the photo above.

The step-cut sapphire in the video has a flat crown and seemingly more tilt windows, as compared to the radiant sapphire.

A ring size K is a US size 5.25 -- honestly, the setting you choose will really affect how comfortable the ring is and how well it accommodates the stones.

Is there any way you can go somewhere to try on two simple solitaire rings each with 6.5mm (which is a fairly standard stone size so should be more available than, say, 6.67mm), and stack them on the same finger? That will give a somewhat realistic feel and look of the larger two stones. If you can't readily find 6.5mm solitaires, maybe order CZ versions from Amazon or similar?

I look forward to seeing how this project turns out -- I love toi et moi rings, particularly with diamonds & sapphires!

Thanks! Will definitely share the final product. I've tried vintage rings of equivalent sizes but they aren't the best proxies. Will give it a go with the solitaires/CZs

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will take a little imagination but here are the stones on a size 5.25 finger. You could also cut out shapes from paper to get an idea of finger coverage.

Larger IMG_0950.jpeg

smaller
IMG_0951.jpeg

If it was my ring I think I'd go with the larger, but you have to feel comfortable!

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. I fell in love with my original set of stones too and then back peddled. I'm from the UK where e rings and jewellery in general tend to be on the smaller side so I think that was a factor.

You're welcome! Trying testers is a great idea, find your comfort level and something you want to wear every day, everywhere. My ring did feel large when I first got her, but I was thrilled with larger stones lol. Wearing her as an ering felt so luxurious! Very quickly tho, I got used to the stone sizes and it's not a big deal now, haha, DSS is no joke :mrgreen2: I do love that the diamond sizes and the band size allows me to move her to other fingers and still get great finger coverage, that may or may not be a consideration for you. The stones in set 1 look beautiful on you and suit you very well, IMO they look like a perfect fit for you, although I definitely think you have room for larger if you find DSS happening once you get some testers ;)2. But this is a monumental decision so it's good to make sure you're 100% comfortable and 100% happy. I'm sure whatever you choose it will be stunning! I hope you come back to share pics of your final choice!!

ETA: Just had a thought, you really can't go wrong here, if you wana upgrade someday later on to larger stones, those stones would also look lovely as a toi et moi pendant! (One of the items on my jewelry wish list)

Last edited:

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
My vote is also for the larger stones =)2They look so pretty on your hand. But again, it's totally OK to choose whatever makes you most happy and the size you're comfortable wearing.

One more thought to consider, you said you fell in love with set 1, so my only concern for you is since you felt that love, an immediate connection... might you later think back on them as the ones that got away?

Probably not helping sorry! Just thinking I'd probably never get the first love outta my head.

Can't wait to hear how it went with testers and how it went with your jewler!

Mason Parsons

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm into bigger sizes as well. It just looks really good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results