shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing cut, polish and symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GettingEngaged

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m choosing between these two 75-point, G, VS2, princess cut diamonds:

1) Depth: 71%
Table: 73%
Length: 5.25
Width: 5.06
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

2) Depth: 68%
Table: 68%
Length: 5.20
Width: 5.17
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good

The first costs $300 more than the second. Does the lower depth and table in the second increase brilliancy? Does an "Excellent" polish increase brilliancy that you wouldn''t have with just "Good"? Is it worth it to go for the second?

Thanks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polish has nothing to do with brilliance. Symmetry - very little if anything at all given that GIA doesn''t grade optical symmetry (as in that symmetry that makes up the H&A pattern in rounds) but something else...
Table and depth say nil about brilliance as well
11.gif
sorry...

And despite depth, stone #2 is a bit larger (thick girdle eats up more weight than a couple % of depth do).

It would be nice to have some pictures and idealScope of the two, otherwise, no reason to prefer the first one at all.

All IMO, of course
34.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I pretty much agree with Valeria. Can''t see a reason from the numbers to choose #1 over #2 or any reason for #1 to be priced higher versus a little lower.

Polish, "could" have a tiny effect on performance, but I doubt it often would be the defining thing that sways a decision... #2 sounds good.

NOW---look at the stones and see which looks the best. If they both look great to you, then #2 is a winner.

GettingEngaged

Rough_Rock
Okay. My mistake. #1 is $300 LESS than #2. It looks like #2 has a superior cut, squareness, girdle, polish and symmetry. Are all of these worth $300? They both look fine to my insensitive eyes.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if there is no difference in your eyes, then it''s probably not worth the $300. get what will make you comfortable with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results