shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between two little pairs of sapphires

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping to put a five stone ring together in the near future with 3 OECs and 2 blue sapphires. Recently picked up a pair on LT, which were a great deal and I think look quite good, but are probably not the finest blue. I just got the second pair from one of the recommended vendors here. It's definitely more saturated, but there are a few things that are making this decision a bit harder than I expected. The new pair, while clearly a better color overall, tends to black out a bit more in low light and have a bit of extinction. It also has an inclusion that I can see if I squint really hard. The lighter pair shifts to violet more often, actually looks a bit better in diffuse lighting sometimes (I think), but is noticeably less vibrant in most conditions, though neither looks particularly great under the fluorescent bathroom lights (last photo). Other things to note,the lighter pair is unheated (not that I have any verification on that) and costs a fraction of what the darker one costs (which I'm trying not to factor into my decision too much). So, what do you think? I feel like I'm crazy to even be debating this, but I'm just not sure.

_39154.jpg

sap6.jpg

_39155.jpg

_39156.jpg

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More photos with the diamonds

sapdarker.jpg

saphlighter.jpg

_39157.jpg

sap5.jpg

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last few. I should also mention, they will most likely be going into a bezel setting, if that makes a difference.

s7.jpg

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really like the lighter ones, especially if they will be going in a bezel setting. I think I would prefer stones that don't black out over really saturated ones. Both pairs are beautiful though.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Livannie! It's good to hear I'm not the only one who likes the lighter stones. I do like both pairs for different reasons... Anyone else?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... which do you like more? They are both pretty in different ways, so it's down to personal preference for this ring. The darker may be more of a classic look and the lighter more of a modern look. What color metal will the ring be?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about sapphires but to my eyes the lighter pair are prettier in more of the photos! Good luck with your decision, I really love the style of ring you are planning.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like neither pairs is really what you want. Does it have to be one of these two pair? Are you pressured to get it done?
My sister always says, when in doubt raise your standards.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both pairs, but I prefer the lighter pair for the ring you want. With the darker pair my eye notices the sapphires first and then the OECs. With the lighter pair my eye notices all the stones and thus the design appears more fluid, if that makes sense.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the two darkest stones the more vivid one is the best coloured stone IMHO of the lot but the two lighter coloured stones are going to never darken across different lighting situations so it's a trade off of what you like. Sapphires are also a very personal choice some people like them dark, some in the middle, some light. It's really what your eye prefers.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1489356998|4139534 said:
It sounds like neither pairs is really what you want. Does it have to be one of these two pair? Are you pressured to get it done?
My sister always says, when in doubt raise your standards.

This could be the case. With every colored stone that I have kept and loved, there is a "zing" in my heart when I look at it and the feeling of the universe falling into place. I know that seems... hyperbolic... but it's how I feel!

S

SparkliesLuver

arkieb1 said:
One of the two darkest stones the more vivid one is the best coloured stone IMHO of the lot but the two lighter coloured stones are going to never darken across different lighting situations so it's a trade off of what you like. Sapphires are also a very personal choice some people like them dark, some in the middle, some light. It's really what your eye prefers.

Agree with this, and it's why I don't favor that pair - it'd drive me nuts that they're so different. A lighter pair would probably do better performance-wise in a bezel, but like others have said it really comes down to what you prefer.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your thoughts, it really helps in making the decision even though I realize it's very much a personal choice. It does bug me a little that the two darker stones are visibly different. For that matter, the difference in size between the lighter ones also bugs me just a tiny bit, though that's probably something that would be less noticeable once set. I have to admit that neither pair gives me the feeling of the universe falling into place, but for the price, the lighter pair was really beyond expectations. I'm just trying really hard not to let the price influence my decision too much. But, no, there's no reason I have to use either one. I'm going to be returning the darker stones since I definitely don't like them much better than the lighter ones and see what else is out there. My other option is just to go with 5 OECs (I do have 5 of them) and incorporate sapphire accents in some other way, like something along these lines, which is something I've been considering also.

diasaph5stone.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

What size do you want the round sapphires to be? Personally, I love your original design idea better than the one you just posted, but that's only my two cents.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1489415069|4139663 said:
What size do you want the round sapphires to be? Personally, I love your original design idea better than the one you just posted, but that's only my two cents.

The sapphires are 4.5 mm. The larger diamond is 5.3, and the smaller ones are 4.2. I think somewhere between 4.5 and 4.8 would work for the sapphires.

S

SparkliesLuver

Okay; thank you! I'll get to looking. :) I found a pair of 4.0mm but now I know those are too small.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1489415320|4139666 said:
Okay; thank you! I'll get to looking. :) I found a pair of 4.0 mm but now I know those are too small.

Thank you! I've been looking for some time, haven't seen anything else really.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd email Jeff from Earth's Treasury and ask what he has. He has more inventory than what he lists on his site, especially smaller stones. I'm waiting to hear back from another vendor.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd check out Jeff Davies as well as he seems to have access to sapphires on a regular basis.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the lighter stones! What a pretty blue :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions! I've purchased from Jeff Davies before and found his pictures too different from the actual stone to try again. Earth's treasury seems to carry mostly Montana sapphires, but may be worth a shot. I"m really leaning toward using the lighter stones at this point, but may poke around a bit more before I decide for sure.

S

SparkliesLuver

Is it really? Darn.

S

SparkliesLuver

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
S

SparkliesLuver

Sure thing. :) Keep us posted!

alene|1489423990|4139719 said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I've purchased from Jeff Davies before and found his pictures too different from the actual stone to try again. Earth's treasury seems to carry mostly Montana sapphires, but may be worth a shot. I"m really leaning toward using the lighter stones at this point, but may poke around a bit more before I decide for sure.

Here is a helpful essay on how to judge pairs on the web: https://www.wildfishgems.com/gemstones_on_photo#pair

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would reach out to Wink Jones for sapphire pairs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results