shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing an asscher stone is driving me nuts.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vpr80

Rough_Rock
So i've spend like the last three weeks reading everything i could possibly find about diamonds and more specifically asscher stones. At this point I know about as much as I possibly want about asscher stones, but I need to find a setting.

For the stone, is this realistic to find for $10K???
2.0ct
G-I
VVS2-VS2
Good proportions (ie: height high 60's, table high 50's to low 60's, crown between 10-15)

Here is what I am looking for in the setting:
a) Tiffany Legacy Style (or Ritani) with pave diamonds around the stone and on the sides. Also I want the sides to be graduated diamonds and not the same size around the band.
b) Also I want there to be bigger diamonds on the SIDE of the ring (not on the side of the center stone) like the Legacy ring but I want the sqaure.
c) The center stone I want raised like the Ritani and not Legacy.
d) Lastly, I would really prefer the bottom of the band to be engraved somehow.

Basically I need a cross between the Tiffany Legacy, Ritani (see pic below), and something with engraving.

17QQ18.jpg

engagement_legacy_side1.jpg

engagement_legacy_side2.jpg

Any ideas?

TIA

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.0 i-vs2 is doable in the 10-12k range.
but under 10 no...
The setting would likely have to be custom and add 5k-7k to the price.

So basicaly your looking at a 20k budget said and done,,,,,

vpr80

Rough_Rock
ohhh hell no....i am not spending $5K on a setting....MAX on the setting is $2K so i need to find something close because i am not getting it custom made.

Budget is like $13K so I really need to find a stone in the 10-11K range.

What do you think of this stone, I have not seen it in person (I will next week) but just by specs?

J
VVS
Medium Blue Flour
depth 62%
table 68%

ADDED: GIA Certified

I am not really fond of such a high table number or the J color. Jewler says it looks like an H because of the Blue Flour and wants $11.9K. I think that's too much. What do you think a REALLY GREAT price would be for something like this?

vpr80

Rough_Rock
ohhhh yeah PS - I am buying on 47th Street in NYC so adjust the price accordingly....and no I am not going to get ripped off but just for comparison. A friend of mine bought a vintage platinum setting with pave diamonds (.80) and fully engraved for $1200 so prices will be a little less than just randomly ordering online.

Also will be paying cash so I need to find out what really good prices are because for normal prices I can buy any day online or anywhere.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean "adjust the price accordingly"? I really don''t like that large of a table. It is even bigger than the depth. I think it could be really hard to find a well made, antique halo setting that would be the right size for your stone and be that cheap. I think you might want to look on the internet because well cut asschers are pretty hard to find right now. I have found that there aren''t any really great deals in diamonds and you get what you pay for but if you know better than good luck and have fun. I think you might want to look on the internet because well cut asschers are pretty hard to find right now.

vpr80

Rough_Rock
well i''ve been looking around all sorts of places like the price comparison thing on this site and ebay and just direct seller sites and they are kinda all over the place. in the 10-12K range there is really a lot to choose from. they range from better cut/quality with worse proportion to better proportions and worse cut/quality....the other thing is that i really don''t want to buy a stone online. specs and all sound great, but seeing them in person is a whole different world which is why i want to buy it on 47th, but going in there i want to know exactly what to expect pricewise.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I would look for an asscher with a table roughly between 55 and 59 and a depth of roughly between 66 and 72. Also, a lenght to width ratio as close to 1.0 as you can get it.

If you have a table that''s wider than the stone is deep you run the risk of having a flat, dead stone. The whole point of an asscher is to get the "bottomless pool" effect that "draws you in".

Also, I wouldn''t go for a J in a step cut stone. It just doesn''t have enough sparkle to overcome the yellow, like a brilliant cut does. I had a very well cut I color, IF, 3.15ct asscher for about a weekend (before I changed my mind), and while the I color was ok, it still bothered me (not very rational, I know). I kept "looking" for the yellow. The IF was totally unecessary, and made it cost more. I would go as low as an H and a V2, but this is just totally personal preference. I wouldn''t want to pay for anything more than that since the unaided eye really can''t see what you''d pay for above that. But going lower, like I said, I''d always be looking for hints of yellow, and/or for flecks of black.

I don''t blame you for wanting to see the stones in person.

Why don''t you go to Engagement Rings Direct? They are a Pricescope vendor, so you''d get a good price. You can look up tons of great references for them here on this site, and they''re at 580 5th Avenue. I''ve seen tons of BEAUTIFUL rings from them posted on the SMTR thread. They do some nice Antique engagement ring settings that include some pave halo settings for asscher stones. Here''s their web address:

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/index.php

At least give them a call and do a search on SMTR for their work.

Also, if you go there, you might ask to see some cushion cut stones. I''ve seen both styles, and while the asscher is beautiful and unique, the cushion has the sparkle of a brilliant cut stone and the shape lends itself nicely to the kind of setting you''re talking about.

Good luck.

LizzyD

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Or you could go to GOG on Long Island. I don''t think they have any 2cts right now but you could ask Jonathan to call one or two in for you. www.goodoldgold.com Also, Any Pricescope vendor can call in a "virtual" diamond that you find on the search function at the top of the page (Pricescope my diamond). That is how I got my asscher.

vpr80

Rough_Rock
ohhhh thanks for the links guys....i will def contact ERD next week....they have a few nice stones that i would like to see in person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results