shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago guy needs help choosing brand of diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicagoSVTcobra

Rough_Rock
I found this site by googling "hearts on fire deals" and I read up on hearts on fire here and I was shocked at the mark-up. Buying a brand-name super-cut diamond will just make it easier for me to get the best I can for my money.

I was getting ready to go to a HoF retailer here in the Chicago area, but now that doesn't sound like such a good idea. I am only familiar with HoF and BlueNile, I've read the diamond books and know my stuff, but I am still confused as to WHO do I give my money to, and who do I trust.

Can buying a diamond via the internet like Blue Nile be trustworthy?

I already know the specs of what I am looking for:

Minimum exceptions:
Color: G-F
Clarity: VS1-2 (preferred), VVS1-2 (MAYBE)
Cut: Round Ideal. Consider Signature Cut (branded)
Carat: Around 1ct. Buy shy if at all possible, .95ct (to save on costs)
Polish/Symmetry: ID (ideal) or EX (excellent).
Platinum band

So coming here, this is the FIRST time I ever heard of WHITEFLASH and others - is whiteflash an internet only? Can you please give me advice on where the best places are to BUY a loose diamond and to have it set. Does it matter if it's through the internet, or are they places that deal with the branded diamonds in Chicago? I would honestly be more comfortable dealing with someone IN PERSON, but if I can save $1000+ I will do the internet route.

Mike

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
You can save a lot of money--and you can save even more money because you''re not paying sales tax if you buy from an internet dealer out of state! There are a number of reputable online retailers--whiteflash, james allen, good old gold, blue nile just to name a very few (there are many more). Some of these places will also work with you for a setting--or, alternatively, you can work with a B+M you trust to set it after you buy the loose stone.

The big problem is that you don''t see it in person when you buy. With fancies this is an even bigger problem. To solve this, many retailers give you a ton of information like sarin, idealscope pics, regular pics etc to help you. But the most important part of the whole thing is the return policy. Almost all retailers have a significant return policy that allows you to return the diamond and only pay the shipping within a certain window with no questions asked. Ultimately I think that''s what makes buying from internet retailers manageable.

That said, it''s not unreasonable to expect a certain markup at a brick and mortar store--they''re running a much more expensive overhead and you get to deal with someone in person and see the diamonds in person. Especially if this is someone you trust, the markup can be worth it.

chicagoSVTcobra

Rough_Rock
Can someone offer me a "top list" of internet diamond dealers that offer special cuts, like Blue Nile''s signature cuts and Whiteflash "cut above"?

Maybe just the top 5 best in anyones opinion so I know where to begin.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2006 5:49:04 PM
Author: chicagoSVTcobra
Can someone offer me a ''top list'' of internet diamond dealers that offer special cuts, like Blue Nile''s signature cuts and Whiteflash ''cut above''?

Maybe just the top 5 best in anyone''s opinion so I know where to begin.
You''d be in trouble, ''cause many sellers have access to the same suppliers - basically the same ''pool'' of diamonds.

Truth to be said, the finer cuts are probably in stock at one seller or another - not on these shared lists. But this means that the number of diamonds or overall size of the shop means little when you are after ideal cut diamonds. Much like you''d be looking for the largest shop around to buy some boutique fashion thing.

These being said: try InfinityDiamonds (a cutter of ideal H&A rounds and princesses who lists many stones online alongside with links to the dealers where these are available).

Around this forum - many of the participating sellers have lines of H&A ideals rounds: GoodOldGold, WinkJones, JamesAllen, NiceIce and likely others. It is more about a very strictly standardized product than anything.

Also, aside the larger retailers (Mondera, BlueNile) almost everyone else provides personal service (i.e. you get to talk with someone who is actually holding that stone in hand, rather than staring at the same virtual copy of a lab report as you are) and custom jewelry making.

My 2c

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results