shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheap temporary settings! help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK ok, I have had enough of staring at my asscher citrine in it''s box and want it on my finger asap!!!
2.gif

Hubby wants me to wait till we can afford a custom setting (ie. next year sometime) and even the LOGR one I want is out of our buget (remember currency exchange!) soooooooooo can you please help me find a plain yellow gold 10K or 14K solitare ring that will fit a 7mm asccher cut stone. (It''s 6mm deep).

I keep looking at the auctions on LOGR etc but there all end up expensive so dunno how you ladies always seem to have them by the dozen!?

I got quoted an extra $100 just to customise a $299 ring which made the whole thing about $AU450! (Remember I''m looking for a temporary ring here!)

I''m searching Liebcor etc but''s I''m hoping to get one for less than $100. I found this but think it''s too big....

Any help would be gratefully received!
35.gif
TNANKS!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dunno as well. Every LoGR auction I follow ends up way too high for me.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
check out this ebay store. I haven''t bought from them but they have great feed back. They also have pendant setting...which might even be a cheaper quicker fix.

this

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the stupid question, but when you buy a setting like the one bookworm posted from eBAY, do you just take it to your jeweler and have him set it for you? How do you ensure your stone will fit a setting you buy online (just by carat size)?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2009 5:45:20 PM
Author:HotPozzum
OK ok, I have had enough of staring at my asscher citrine in it''s box and want it on my finger asap!!!
2.gif

Hubby wants me to wait till we can afford a custom setting (ie. next year sometime) and even the LOGR one I want is out of our buget (remember currency exchange!) soooooooooo can you please help me find a plain yellow gold 10K or 14K solitare ring that will fit a 7mm asccher cut stone. (It''s 6mm deep).

I keep looking at the auctions on LOGR etc but there all end up expensive so dunno how you ladies always seem to have them by the dozen!?

I got quoted an extra $100 just to customise a $299 ring which made the whole thing about $AU450! (Remember I''m looking for a temporary ring here!)

I''m searching Liebcor etc but''s I''m hoping to get one for less than $100. I found this but think it''s too big....

Any help would be gratefully received!
35.gif
TNANKS!
Liebcor is probably the one cheapy, no frills, plain setting ebay store that everyone uses. I have a liebcor, not the greatest workmanship in the world, but it''s adequate for what I paid.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
The problem is that the price of gold is totally crazy right now (I think today it hit a new high). For that reason, I'd be really surprised if anyone has any gold settings for sale under $100 right now, unless you find a second-hand one. (In five years I'd think the price will settle back down, but that doesn't solve your problem now!)

Now, although silver is also reaching new highs, it's also way cheaper to begin with, so if you're willing to do that you could probably do something for <$100... prongs in regular sterling silver are asking for trouble, but maybe one of the argentium silver artisans people recommend on this board could help you out?

ETA: OK, obviously I was wrong about that given that you did find one for $100
1.gif
You might email liebcor and ask if he has settings for smaller stones; I bet he has more in inventory than is listed there. Also jamminggems.com, another low-end place, has some 14k settings but they are more like $150 or so. I have had good experiences with their silver settings, but have not bought any gold from them.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second Deorwine''s suggestion - just email Tripps, Liebcor, etc. to ask if they have a setting to fit your stone.

Also, make SURE they know it''s an asscher shape, and not a princess. You''d be surprised the difference the clipped corners make.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check American Set Ebay Link

they have some starting at $103 (plain) but you can also offer slightly less, also you can have a four prong head to fit to your stone, I've asked them to replace the head before to fit a 6.5mm stone and they said no problem and it was no extra charge although it is just a peg head, so it shouldn't be difficult.

Good Luck Though

Otherwise I would say Sally can do a setting or Lotus for your asscher (there is one in her listing similar called the Asscher Honey Lotus set at a kite position - she made so I could see prior to ordering my setting) it is less if you do silver shank with gold head (just a thought) though you can try her as well, Link

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
remember hot pozzum that if you are buying now you are getting some of the strongest currency exchange to date - around 93cents atm!
5.gif

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Take a look at estate jewelers on ebay - sometimes they have a great setting with a crappy stone that you could just switch out. I got a setting with an almost-clear-hugely-windowed aquamarine that was $250.00 through Stuller for $89.00 through the estate jeweler.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOGRs tend to be inexpensive unless you need to customize, which you might need to due to the size (and unusual depth) of your asscher. I’m afraid there’s really no way around it.

Gleam,
The setting of the stone with a setting purchased elsewhere is done by the local jeweller of your choice. To make sure the stone fits, it must be within 0.5 mm measurement of the setting. Carat size is the least accurate way of measurement. As an example, if the stone is a perfect 7.2 mm square, you should get a 7x7 mm setting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Pozzum, if anything I vote for a sterling silver setting through etsy..

I know you like YG (so do I), but sterling really is a lovely and versatile metal.
You could have an etsy seller make something simple for around $150, maybe less..

I would usually recommend Julia, but her timeline won''t suit you.
I second either Sally, or maybe onegarnetgirl? (maddy).

Keep in mind though, then you have international shipping both ways, which will set you back at least ~$50, depending whether you take insurance etc..

Honestly, all things considered, I would just try to wait for the "real" setting next year - after all, this year is almost over!
(Coming from me, who always wants to set everything asap..
2.gif
)
But really, unless you chance upon a lucky ebay find or fall for one of the budget settings...personally I would keep one eye out, whilst saving that $150 and dreaming of/designing your ultimate setting.

Try searching for images and playing around with photoshop or even sketching to help pass the time...trust me it helps -
yes, can you tell I''ve felt like you before?
5.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You also run the risk of damaging the stone by setting it and resetting it, since heat and tools are used in the setting process. I also recommend to leave it as is for now. I have several wonderful gems I wish I could set right this moment, but they have been sitting in boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results