shape
carat
color
clarity

Charleston, SC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone been to Charleston and if so, do you have any recs of places to check out while we''re there? My husband and I are considering going there for a few days, and we don''t know the area at all. I''ll check Trip Advisor too, but I thought I''d see if a PSer has any recommendations. If anyone has any insight on what it''s like to live there, I''d love to hear that as well. Thanks!

April20

Ideal_Rock
It's been a while since I've been here, but it's a great city. Shopping up/down King Street is a lot of fun. There are plenty of great restaurants- make sure and have some she crab soup and shrimp and grits!!

ETA: I'm jealous you're going. We've been talking about going for a while now, but just haven't. Have a great time!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks April! What did you like about Charleston when you were there (although I know you said it''s been a while)?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Well maybe BF will chime in for me but when I was there (only for a day), we definitely made a point to stop by Bushido for the Man V. Food sushi challenge...
1.gif

Link

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link BEG! Mmmm -- sushi!!
18.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, it''s a great walking city. I love walking down King Street and the cross streets. So much old southern architecture. I was there for work, so I didn''t have a lot of play time.

The Citadel is there, so if you''re into that, it''s cool to drive thru the campus.

There''s an outdoor market where you can find a lot of great crafts. I can''t remember exactly where that is, but it''s in the walkable downtown.

I stayed in a boutique hotel on the corner of King & Calhoun. It''s historic, lots of character and charm (read = small bathrooms). Can''t remember the name of it, but it was really cool.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome! Just to let you know, they're not kidding when they say spicy. I only made it to #6 of 10, BF made it to #8.

There were a few others doing the challenge when we were there, and one guy made it - this big, tough as nails military guy. His buddy totally didn't make it - he only got to #6, same as me (pathetic
2.gif
). I think I was the only girl doing the challenge when we were there.

But it is a fun experience!

ETA: Don't believe the waitress when she tells you pink lemonade helps - total BS IMO. It just made me feel sick mixing in the lemonade with the super spicy tuna.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My parents live there. They love it! What exactly are you interested in?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was there, I stayed at an INCREDIBLE bed and breakfast called the Elliot House - gorgeous and all different rooms, with a wine and cheese happy hour in the courtyard every day and bikes you can just take out and ride around. We loved it!

It might not be the greatest for colder times of the year though. The entire city is fantastic!

emdash

Rough_Rock
Some colleagues of mine were just there for a conference and they loved the ghost tour they went on. I don''t know if you''re into that kind of thing, but I love it -- it''s an unusual way to learn the history and folklore of the city.

I don''t know which tour company they used, but I can ask if you''re interested!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and I were there for a vacation together last year, I think in June. We stayed in a fantastic, but very expensive, hotel, The Market Pavilion, in the middle of the downtown area. Since it was in the middle of tourist season, we let the hotel take our car for the duration of our stay and walked wherever we wanted to go. (Except for when we took carriage rides, which were great.) I have to say that it was hot, although the carriage driver-who was incredibly knowledgeable (they have to pass very hard exams)- said that they were "just getting started" in June. My daughter refused to walk to a bookstore with me because of the heat, and I am not at all good in the heat myself!

I remember thinking that starting with a carriage ride was a good idea because then I got to know what I would want to see. In fact, I cannot emphasize the importance of a carriage ride enough. The tour guides breathe life into the city. They really tell you its story and you do not look at it the same way again after you have been for one of those rides. You notice things, like the architecture of houses, after having been on a tour. And it is all entertaining. The guide tells you about the clothing that early settlers wore in the great heat. The donkeys (mules?) who pull the carriages are adorable, too. (They withstand the heat better than horses.) My daughter stuck her arm into one's mouth and had a mark on it for about a year. She wasn't unhappy, though. She was communing with the mule. No malice was involved. At least she was entertained. She even came on a second carriage ride with me, because I was simply obsessed. My walk to the bookstore (see above) was to buy a history of the area!

The heat kept us from walking to the ferry dock. We had wanted to take the ferry to Fort Sumter. I don't know when it runs, if it runs in the winter.

There were wonderful restaurants, but I don't recall the names of the ones we went to, and we didn't go to any famous ones! I know there was another thread on Charleston, however. Another poster was getting married there, and she may have posted more information. I will take a look around and see if I can find it!

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
12/20/2009 8:55:31 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire

Was it you who were married there, LS? I remember that it was a poster I knew, but I cannot find the thread that mentions the wedding!

AGBF
34.gif

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
You should try the lowcountry specialties, especially shrimp and grits. Very tasty
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I hear, King Street is the where the shopping is, so we''ll definitely hang out there.

April -- the Citadel would be an interesting place to drive through. If we go soon, it will most likely be over NYE, so I''m not sure what would be open in Charleston (as far touristy things go).

Logan -- that''s the thing -- I''m not really sure that I have specific questions right now. Here''s the story: my husband and I moved to NC from New England in June because of a job offer he got. He''s not overwhelmingly happy in his job right now though. He''s been talking of possibly wanting to check out another new area (closer to the coast) to see if we might want to settle there. The situation is a little more confusing than that but those are the basic details. For what it''s worth, he''s a database developer and I''m an elementary teacher. If we do visit the Charleston area, it would be for two purposes: 1) to see it because we''ve always wanted to visit the city. We''ve heard it''s a great place with a lot to offer, and 2) to see if we could possibly see ourselves living and working there. We don''t have kids yet but I''d love to find a good school to work in that is a good fit for me.

We''re interested in history, architecture, being close to restaurants and shops, movies, maybe museums. We like to walk around outdoors and explore nature and our surroundings, but we''re not true outdoorsy people, if that makes sense. If we did move eventually, we''d love to be close to the ocean (well, within a 20-40 minute drive is okay I suppose). We''d like to be close enough to a city so that going there could be an option on the weekends if we''d like.

Violet -- I''ll have to look into the Elliot House. It sounds like a great place!

Emdash -- oooh, a ghost tour! Sounds like fun!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF/Deb -- thanks for the info! I heard about the Market Pavillion, and it sounds really nice. I wish we weren''t on a budget! The carriage rides sound like a good way to get to know the city.

Zipzapgirl -- my husband might like the shrimp and grits! He really likes southern food (it''s still kind of an acquired taste for me!). Thanks for the suggestion!

I know going over the holidays might not be the best time to see things, but it''s about a 4 hour ride away, so we could always go more than once to investigate. Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations everyone!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I had a lovely time in Charleston for a boondoggle work event a couple of years ago. We stayed at the Wentworth Mansion which was divine!

Our days were planned, but I remember a carriage ride/tour and the FABULOUS coconut cake from the Peninsula Grill. YUM

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went for a wedding years ago. I don''t remember what we did or where we ate but I do remember having fun. Enjoy it!!!

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock

OldTowne Charleston ( King Street Area ) is great, but the rest of it is trying to say the least. I go to Charleston 2-3 times a month for work and sometimes spend several days there. I am here to tell you that once you get away from OldTowne the traffic is terrible, I mean rivaling anything you will see in much bigger cities. Something a lot of people dont realise is that Charleston is actually pretty small. It is more of a large town rather than a small city. To me the biggest negative of Charleston is how mixed the town is- you can go from really nice to darkest ghetto in 2 blocks, and then half way back to nice again in another 2 blocks. If you can afford to live in OldTowne ( pricey ) or one of the islands ( even pricier ), I would look hard at some other options.

BTW the outdoor market the other poster referred to is on Meeting St ( parallels King St. ), and it is a WONDERFULL way to spend an afternoon. The ghost tour another poster mentioned is also to good to pass up!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
My brother and his wife went to the Citadel and now they, and my other brother, all live in the Charleston area.

Fort Sumter is cool

There's a glass blowing place somwhere around there I've always meant to go to
9.gif

it's a great city for walking, the row houses are really pretty, King street is great, and the Islands are fantastic if you have time to go out there.

There's a great restaurant, I think called Magnolias, that makes AMAZING bbq shrimp and grits
3.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations Charger, Tropicmaster, and Bella. Tacori -- we''re looking forward to going for a couple of days. We haven''t firmed up plans yet, but it will be fun to check out the area.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
As a long time resident of the area, I am pretty sure the market is on Market st. The open air market runs from East bay st to Meeting st.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zoe,

I have been many times to Charleston, and DH lived in Summerville as a child. We went many years ago to Charleston for our honeymoon, and it is, as TropicMaster said, fine for staying right in the old towne. If you do go for NYE, it gets really cold there, walking on the Battery. The wind will cut you in two, so bring something for your head.

I am originally from North Carolina, but have lived in Georgia 29 years. I think you may want to look at Savannah. I much prefer it to Charleston, as far as actually living there. We live an hour south of Savannah, which is an hour north of Jacksonville.

Have you read all of Pat Conroy''s books? I got the new one on advance order from Amazon, and have still not gotten around to reading it. I love his books.

-Pink

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Colormyworld -- what do you like about the Charleston area? I''m always interested in learning why people choose to live where they do, and I love learning about different areas.

Hi Pink Tower! It''s funny you mentioned Savannah because that''s the third place my husband wants us to consider going to (either for a visit or to move. Other than Charleston, Wilmington, NC, is the other one. Why do you prefer living in Savannah over Charleston? Summerville is a town (city?) that was also recommended to us, so we may check out that area as well. No, I haven''t read Pat Conroy''s books, but I''ve heard they''re great.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and I are going to Savannah in April. After going to Charleston last year, she decided she wanted to go to Savannah this year ;-).

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
12/24/2009 7:59:51 AM
Author: Pink Tower

Hi Zoe,

I have been many times to Charleston, and DH lived in Summerville as a child. We went many years ago to Charleston for our honeymoon, and it is, as TropicMaster said, fine for staying right in the old towne. If you do go for NYE, it gets really cold there, walking on the Battery. The wind will cut you in two, so bring something for your head.

I am originally from North Carolina, but have lived in Georgia 29 years. I think you may want to look at Savannah. I much prefer it to Charleston, as far as actually living there. We live an hour south of Savannah, which is an hour north of Jacksonville.

Have you read all of Pat Conroy's books? I got the new one on advance order from Amazon, and have still not gotten around to reading it. I love his books.

-Pink
I should have quoted Pink Tower before I mentioned going to Savannah above. I was responding to her. When my daughter and I visited Charleston, many people mentioned Savannah in the same breath. I guess the two cities are often compared.

BTW, I loved Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides. I have to recommend Dorothea Benton Frank's novels to anyone who doesn't know them and likes readings about relationships. A friend recommended Pawley's Island to me (the fifth novel of ten she wrote about the Low Country, I think). The author was born and raised on an island off the coast of South Carolina and has an authentic "ear" for the area.

AGBF
34.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zoe!

and Hi AGBF!

Why do I prefer Savannah? Well, for one thing, it is not as expensive. It seems friendlier to me for a second reason. And, it is further south.
Where we live, we are the westernmost point on the east coast of the United States. So, it is hard for a hurricane to hit us. It is not impossible, but the further you go up toward the Carolinas, the more exposed the coastline becomes. Even where I live, you have to be insured by only a couple of companies to choose from, and the rates are very high.

Another author you both might find interesting is Pat Conroy''s wife. I cannot think of her name right now, but the book was called The Sunday Wife. That is set on the Georgia coast. It is sort of autobiographical, I think.

kalyn

Rough_Rock
I am new to this forum although I have been lurking for nearly a year. But I had to jump in on this one since I just got back from a quick Charleston trip last night :) My ex used to live there, so I spent a good part of a couple years there (every few weekends and most extended breaks). If you are interested in any restaurant recs, I have 1,000, in fact it was absurdly difficult for my boyfriend and I to decided on what we wanted this trip.

Hotels: I prefer to stay downtown in the historic part, Francis Marion is nice and can be had on Priceline for cheap (listed 3.5 star). The Vendue Inn, 1837 B&B, and Harborview are great also. Charleston Place is by far my favorite, but the most expensive. The ex had an apartment on King St above the Kicken Chicken so it is hard to stay away from that area, but this weekend we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Waterfront. It was a mile out of town but cheap and we got upgraded to a jacuzzi suite. Worth a consideration if you're on a budget.

Activities: Lots of historic and ghost tours abound. It's usually worth it to do a carriage ride. We just discovered a pub tour but haven't ever done it. Patriot's Point is a favorite of mine, they have an aircraft carrier, a destroyer, etc and it is a blast to go look around them. I would skip the market on Market St. It is worth knowing the history and a quick look, but it is full of crap from Oriental Trading and badly made tourist T-shirts. Just my preference, though. King St has all of the high end and general shopping, everything from couture to J Crew. It's wonderful just to explore all the old houses around E. Bay and Battery, though.

Restaurants: (In order of my favorites) Fat Hen on John's Island, Hominy Grill, Magnolia's, McCrady's, Peninsula Grill, Coast, Cypress, Charleston Grill, Cru Cafe

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 3:56:08 PM
Author: kalyn
I am new to this forum although I have been lurking for nearly a year. But I had to jump in on this one since I just got back from a quick Charleston trip last night :) My ex used to live there, so I spent a good part of a couple years there (every few weekends and most extended breaks). If you are interested in any restaurant recs, I have 1,000, in fact it was absurdly difficult for my boyfriend and I to decided on what we wanted this trip.

Hotels: I prefer to stay downtown in the historic part, Francis Marion is nice and can be had on Priceline for cheap (listed 3.5 star). The Vendue Inn, 1837 B&B, and Harborview are great also. Charleston Place is by far my favorite, but the most expensive. The ex had an apartment on King St above the Kicken Chicken so it is hard to stay away from that area, but this weekend we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Waterfront. It was a mile out of town but cheap and we got upgraded to a jacuzzi suite. Worth a consideration if you''re on a budget.

Activities: Lots of historic and ghost tours abound. It''s usually worth it to do a carriage ride. We just discovered a pub tour but haven''t ever done it. Patriot''s Point is a favorite of mine, they have an aircraft carrier, a destroyer, etc and it is a blast to go look around them. I would skip the market on Market St. It is worth knowing the history and a quick look, but it is full of crap from Oriental Trading and badly made tourist T-shirts. Just my preference, though. King St has all of the high end and general shopping, everything from couture to J Crew. It''s wonderful just to explore all the old houses around E. Bay and Battery, though.

Restaurants: (In order of my favorites) Fat Hen on John''s Island, Hominy Grill, Magnolia''s, McCrady''s, Peninsula Grill, Coast, Cypress, Charleston Grill, Cru Cafe
Zoe, that''s where I stayed. It''s really charming and historic, though the rooms are small as you would expect in an older building. It''s walking distance to lots of things.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pink Tower! My husband would love to checkout Savannah, but we''ll do that on another trip.

Welcome to PS Kalyn! I appreciate the suggestions. We have our hotel booked already, but many of them sound like great places to stay. I just wrote down the restaurants you mentioned. we''ll definitely check some of them out.

Thanks April. I''ll keep that hotel in mind for our next trip.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 10:43:45 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
12/20/2009 8:55:31 PM

Author: Logan Sapphire

Was it you who were married there, LS? I remember that it was a poster I knew, but I cannot find the thread that mentions the wedding!

AGBF

34.gif

I did get married there- good memory!

Zoe, my parents'' story is somewhat similar to yours. They are both from Brooklyn and we moved to NC (Winston-Salem- where are you?) for about 11 years, before they retired to Charleston. They don''t live downtown- they actually live on Daniel Island, which is about 20 mins from downtown and 20 mins from Mt. Pleasant/beaches. They love the area b/c of the beach, the cultural offerings, and the people. There are actually quite a few people from all over the country who live there. The one thing they hate are the humid summers- they''re considering buying a summer house in the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results