shape
carat
color
clarity

Characteristics to look for in your DJ?

Daniel S.

Rough_Rock
What are good characteristics to look for in a wedding DJ? I've looked at the websites of a few online and I feel I have very little with which to compare them.

I'm hoping to find one who has some MC abilities such as directing the ceremony's attention to various events such as a toast or the cutting of the cake.

Are there any tell-tale signs of a bad DJ?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I talked to two DJs - my wedding planner suggested them because I wanted something laid back where the DJ wouldn't be the center of attention. The last thing I want is a DJ who tells stories or wants to "get this party started! woohoo!" (if you know what I mean), and the two companies are made up of DJs who do weddings and events. Their websites were both really hip, a little snarky, and both said they don't play the Chicken Dance or the YMCA. A bit "too cool for school," if you will. After meeting with them I thought both companies would do just what I asked for so I went with the one I liked better.

For me, just on first impressions, a bad sign would have been schlocky website.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's hard to really feel out a DJ from their website or even meeting with them. I would suggest asking for recommendations from your venue or a friend who has used a DJ recently.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
for us finding a dj was super simple (maybe simpler than it should have been). we got a recommendation; that recommendation was seconded by our venue. we called dj, his prices fit in our budget. we met w/dj, gave him our timeline/important songs/must play songs. he said if he didn't have any of those, he'd get them by the wedding. thursday before the wedding he "couldn't" get our first dance song ("couldn't" find it on itunes--where i had downloaded it from previously :roll: :roll: :roll: ), so being the agreeable bride, burned that song on cd for him. then at the wedding he shows up in a hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts, and has his shoes off for most of the night. and after dinner/parent dances/cake, proceeds to start playing the "must play" dance songs in the order i had them listed, which is not what i wanted or requested from him. so, in hindsight, i would ask about attire, and be VERY SPECIFIC with my expectations for the evening. oh & everytime i saw him, he had a drink in his hand...presumably put on our open bar tab. hopefully, our mistakes will help you find a great dj!

Daniel S.

Rough_Rock
Thank you, your suggestions have been incredible helpful, especially the last one!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I just talked to DJs who were recommended. Actually, I went to a wedding show and talked to one guy who was booked (who seemed very professional, put together, and not pushy and smarmy, like most of the DJs at the wedding show), who then recommended another guy, saying he was really professional and a great guy to work with. That impressed me because I figured another DJ would only recommend someone who he respected. I also checked that he was recommended by our venue because they would only recommend DJs who were dependable. I also made sure to pick someone who was cheap, and willing to do what I wanted. If I didn't want props and crazy stuff, he needed to say "Ok, we won't do that". I didn't want somebody pushy. My DJ company also came with two DJs - I tried to talk them down to one to lower the price, but they were firm on having two guys there and it actually worked out really well, because if one had to run to the bathroom, or do something else, there was always someone holding the mic - I would recommend looking for a DJ who brings an assistant with him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results