shape
carat
color
clarity

Channel setting vs. bead setting? Help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

Looking for some feedback - I''m trying to decide between the Tiffany solitaire with diamond band from either Superbcert or Whiteflash.

Superbcert: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-With-Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Tiffany-Ring-Channel-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-In-6-Prong-Platinum-963.html

Whiteflash:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Tiffany--Style-Bead-Set-Solitaire_953.htm

Now as I understand it, the WF is a bead setting, but the SC is a channel setting. My girlfriend has stated a preference for the channel setting, but I can''t see the difference. I notice that on the channel setting the diamonds don''t go to the edge of the band, while on the bead setting they do. What is the difference between a bead and channel setting?

Thanks for any help!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Look closely. The channel set ring does not have beads between the diamonds in the band. The other has beads between them.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I hope this helps!

beadsornoonchannellike settingwithreal.JPG

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
Thanks! You''ve been incredibly helpful in clarifying the difference.. I guess I didn''t know what I was looking for. But here''s a follow-up .. the Tiffany setting is described as "supported by channel-set smaller stones". But if I enlarge the graphic, I can see beads in between the diamonds.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 9:07:55 AM
Author: Ashtangi
Thanks! You've been incredibly helpful in clarifying the difference.. I guess I didn't know what I was looking for. But here's a follow-up .. the Tiffany setting is described as 'supported by channel-set smaller stones'. But if I enlarge the graphic, I can see beads in between the diamonds.
Which one are you talking about?

ETA: I see the true Tiffany's ring, I still think it is very lovely. Would the beads bother you or your GF?
engagement_other_solitairediaband1.jpg

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I meant the actual Tiffany ring - it is described on the Tiffany site as channel-set, but from what I can see, it''s actually a bead setting.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
It seems that the bead-set shows more of the diamonds and has a thinner wall. I'd pick it for those reasons, although I like the channel set too and it seems more sleek looking.

ETA: There some discussion here about how Tiffany used to have the bead-set and now it is a true channel-set (regardless of what the web site picture shows). I can't remember the details, does anyone?

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure, we''ve viewed various rings and she has said that she doesn''t like the bead-set look. From what I gather, Tiffany offers that ring in both channel and bead settings. We visited the Tiffany store, and as far as I recall, we looked at the channel setting - and she was in love with it.

I''m sort of partial to the design of the Whiteflash, where the diamonds go to the edge of the band. But this is only because the WF is 3mm wide, while the SC is 4mm - the diamonds are similar in size. Not sure of the actual width of the "real" Tiffany design. And on the other hand, I prefer the basket on the Superbcert. If only I could combine them! I may speak with WF and see if it is possible to do a custom ring with channel set and modified basket.

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 9:41:41 AM
Author: diamond_quester
It seems that the bead-set shows more of the diamonds and has a thinner wall. I''d pick it for those reasons, although I like the channel set too and it seems more sleek looking.

ETA: There some discussion here about how Tiffany used to have the bead-set and now it is a true channel-set (regardless of what the web site picture shows). I can''t remember the details, does anyone?

Here''s the thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/excel-superbcert-replica-of-tiffanys-channel-set-e-ring.32436/

It says that Tiffany has stopped making the bead-set. And I agree with you on the thin wall of the bead-set - It makes the diamonds more noticable in my opinion. I wonder if it is possible to do a channel-set in a similar way? If you reduce the overall width of the ring and do the channel-set with a thin wall.

WestsideLisa

Rough_Rock
I have been ring shopping for a few months, and after trying on dozens of designs, I decided the Tiffany channel set was the ring I liked best. I tried on/looked at many bead set rings, and I found that the beads took away from the beauty of the diamonds (in my opinion). I just didn''t like the metal (beads) mixed in and pushed in between the beautiful stones. Part of what I liked about the Tiffany channel set is that there is VERY LITTLE metal on either side of the channel set diamonds. The picture on their website does not do it justice...it looks like there''s a lot of metal, but when you see the ring in person, this is NOT the case. You really have to see it in person to understand.

After visiting the Tiffany ring several times, I set out to find something online, as I was not going to let my boyfriend pay the outrageous Tiffany prices. I found that the Superbcert was the closest ready-made design I could find online or in person. However, it just seemed to be missing a little something to me...so my boyfriend and I decided to have Mark Morrell make us a ring.

If you scroll down to the SIXTH ring on this page, you will see one called "Chris". That''s the look we are going for, but with a 1.5 ct center stone (whereas the picture shows a little less than 1 ct):

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/January-05/

WestsideLisa

Rough_Rock
One more thing...the Tiffany salesperson said the channel set had a 3mm band (based on a 1.5 ct center stone), while the Superbcert, I believe, is 4mm.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''d say go for the channel set.
Like your gf, I have a very strong preference for channel set diamonds. I really love the look.To me the two styles do not look in any way similar. The beadset is very cluttered while the channel set has a clean ''swathe of diamond'' look.
30.gif

If my bf were to give me a ring with beadset instead of channel set accent diamonds, I would be very disappointed.
38.gif

of course, we don''t have the budget for accent diamonds on the e-ring. But I love channel set so much, that I''m hoping to have it on the w-band.
5.gif

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 12:25:14 PM
Author: WestsideLisa
I have been ring shopping for a few months, and after trying on dozens of designs, I decided the Tiffany channel set was the ring I liked best. I tried on/looked at many bead set rings, and I found that the beads took away from the beauty of the diamonds (in my opinion). I just didn''t like the metal (beads) mixed in and pushed in between the beautiful stones. Part of what I liked about the Tiffany channel set is that there is VERY LITTLE metal on either side of the channel set diamonds. The picture on their website does not do it justice...it looks like there''s a lot of metal, but when you see the ring in person, this is NOT the case. You really have to see it in person to understand.

After visiting the Tiffany ring several times, I set out to find something online, as I was not going to let my boyfriend pay the outrageous Tiffany prices. I found that the Superbcert was the closest ready-made design I could find online or in person. However, it just seemed to be missing a little something to me...so my boyfriend and I decided to have Mark Morrell make us a ring.

If you scroll down to the SIXTH ring on this page, you will see one called ''Chris''. That''s the look we are going for, but with a 1.5 ct center stone (whereas the picture shows a little less than 1 ct):

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/January-05/

Thanks Lisa! And that''s a gorgeous ring you''ve picked out. You''re right about the Superbcert, there''s just something "off" about it - and I think it''s the band. I''ve compared the prongs/basket of the WF and the Superbcert, and the Superbcert is closer to the real Tiffany, but I''m not a fan of the thicker band. I''m currently working with Whiteflash to see if they can take the best of both settings and come up with a custom design. I may send them a picture of the Mark Morrell ring, as that band is the perfect width.

I''ve seen the Tiffany design in-person, and you''re right - it''s gorgeous and the workmanship is amazing. It''s got the subtle details that seem to be left out of many pre-made designs.

WestsideLisa

Rough_Rock
Look at some of the details of the Mark Morrell ring. The prongs are heart shaped, and the basket that holds the center stone looks beautiful to me. Also, notice how Mark ended the channels...they kind of taper off, rather than ending abruptly. Mark''s work just looks so smooth, sleek, and polished to me. I can''t wait until my boyfriend "surprises" me with the ring! Actually...we agreed on the setting, but he''s in charge of the center stone, so it will be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results