shape
carat
color
clarity

Changing it up :) James Meyer in my future?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the green light from my husband to sell my diamond from my engagement ring...now that it's real I'm sort of chickening out. Didn't make me wait until we were married 5 years after all :p

James Meyer recently put up this 3 stone sapphire ring and I love it but once again I'm worried about the color of the sapphire being too light. Any opinions on this ring?

http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/wordpress/1476-2/#.U9jgNWOeKjP

I am also concerned about the size. One of the reason I'm selling is because I'm self conscious about the size of my diamond. I am also worried that downsizing to something like this would be too much of a jump for me (although I've worn a diamond this size and it looks great on my size 4 finger). I think though if it's a colored stone I won't feel the same way if it's close to the size I currently have just bc for a lot of people-they notice a BIG diamond quicker than a colored stone (not that I don't think the JM ring or changing won't already draw attention-never the less-logical or not these are my thoughts lol)

http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/wordpress/1469-2/#.U9jg7GOeKjO

I have sent Jim a message requesting a finger/outdoor shot of the sapphire to see the real color on a non-dark back drop. I'm not interested in a super light sapphire (some of the rings on DB/LT lately have been beautiful 3 and 5 stone sapphire/diamond rings but much too pale of sapphires for my tastes).

I also asked if he has any stones (either sapphire or diamond) smaller than the 1.8 carat sapphire he has to see if there are any options not listed on his site.

If all goes well my ring should be in NYC by the end of the work. Working out shipping logistics right now and will also ask Jonathan to put that 1.64 N AVR into my setting just to see what it looks like :naughty: Not that I want/plan on spending the entire budget on a stone (the AVR would eat up pretty much any profit we would potentially make) but might as well see it before making a final decision.

I plan on keeping the setting until later on down the road possibly replacing it with a lower color OEC when the time is right or other colored stone.

I'm a bit nervous about changing my ring. I really like my e-ring (although not enough to keep it I guess lol) and am worried a 'change' might not meet what I've envisioned. A trip isn't really an option currently due to all the summer/family/camping things that we have on the go and doesn't make much sense time/money wise currently either.

Thoughts? Feedback?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Jim Meyer is my favorite jeweler. It looks like a harmonious, very balanced piece.

As far as the color, I think you have to see it in person. Like any colored stone, saturation is only part of the story, the rest is how it comes to life.

An AVR, though unique and beautiful, does not have the same wow-factor as a completed Jim Meyer piece. Just my opinion.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1406724068|3723049 said:
Jim Meyer is my favorite jeweler. It looks like a harmonious, very balanced piece.

As far as the color, I think you have to see it in person. Like any colored stone, saturation is only part of the story, the rest is how it comes to life.

An AVR, though unique and beautiful, does not have the same wow-factor as a completed Jim Meyer piece. Just my opinion.

Yes...Jim's pieces have a unique way of making my heart sing. He's not a young duck anymore and I didn't want to wait much longer in fear that he might stop his hobby and focus on traveling and no longer make any pieces by the time our 5 year anniversary rolls around. Life can happen in the blink of an eye and its too short to not enjoy something like JM work while I still can get a piece of it right from him.

I <3 AVR but I agree with you-while I can always find (or buy the AVR) I won't always be able to buy his pieces. Maybe his sons or some other artisan who's trained under him but his work is what makes my heart go still.

I don't think Jim would pick a dud sapphire and knows his stuff. Not sure why I'm so worried other than getting a semi-accurate photograph of the blue is something that is fairly important to me. I just don't want it this light (it's a nice colored sapphire but not what I'm wanting for an e-ring)
http://diamondbistro.com/category/201/Bands/listings/39096/5-stone-sapphire-GIA-diamond-band-14k-wg-174ctw.html

I do really love this ring but the .89 carats is making me worry about the total coverage I'd have. I actually think if this had been my first ring I never would have wanted anything larger or wanted to change it...but after owning a 7+mm diamond in a setting idk how I'd feel. Although my size 4 ring would look balanced and harmonious as you put it with this ring I think.

http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/wordpress/1469-2/#.U9jpSmOeKjM

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the all-diamond version of the sapphire JM ring (the one shown on his website as eng-J) and I have to say that I love it, and I love wearing it - so I'm biased. I think that sapphire ring is gorgeous, and the color looks to me to be a nice medium blue, certainly darker than the ring being offered on DB. But asking JM, and asking for additional pictures, is definitely the way to go. BTW my ring appears quite a bit more delicate-looking in real life than it looks in the photograph.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1406735230|3723126 said:
I have the all-diamond version of the sapphire JM ring (the one shown on his website as eng-J) and I have to say that I love it, and I love wearing it - so I'm biased. I think that sapphire ring is gorgeous, and the color looks to me to be a nice medium blue, certainly darker than the ring being offered on DB. But asking JM, and asking for additional pictures, is definitely the way to go. BTW my ring appears quite a bit more delicate-looking in real life than it looks in the photograph.

Thanks so much for chiming in VRBeauty: I know nothing can compare to JM work which is why I'm not going a reset route. I wish I had jumped on the 3 stone OEC ring that JBEG sold a few years ago of uppys (don't recall if you were the lucky new owner of that one or not) but alas we weren't in the discussion phase at that point.

I'll post more pictures if/when I get them from Jim. He's only doing this as a hobby now so I'm not sure how quickly I'll get a reply back. He usually is pretty good about getting back though.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just heard from Jim...and he doesn't think the ring can be sized down that far :(

I am re-confirming since I really love the ring and will be very sad if they can't size it from an 8.5 to a 4. I know that it's a HUGE sizing difference but we shall see.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the James Meyer ring, but not more than the e-ring you now have. I think it would be a fabulous RHR, but no way would I give up the gorgeous ring you have now for a sapphire three stone. Again, I would like to have the JM ring myself, but I would not give up a beautiful diamond to get it. I think you'd be sorry down the road. If it was all diamonds, I think it would be a better e-ring replacement.

The thing is, you are talking about keeping your setting and maybe replacing the diamond later. It is likely going to cost more later! I would really think hard about this decision. I also think your ring would sell better intact.

Just saw your update. Wonder why in the world he made a ring in an 8.5 unless it was custom and the person didn't want it??? But I agree, very unlikely to size down that much.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1406742316|3723180 said:
I adore the James Meyer ring, but not more than the e-ring you now have. I think it would be a fabulous RHR, but no way would I give up the gorgeous ring you have now for a sapphire three stone. Again, I would like to have the JM ring myself, but I would not give up a beautiful diamond to get it. I think you'd be sorry down the road. If it was all diamonds, I think it would be a better e-ring replacement.

The thing is, you are talking about keeping your setting and maybe replacing the diamond later. It is likely going to cost more later! I would really think hard about this decision. I also think your ring would sell better intact.

Just saw your update. Wonder why in the world he made a ring in an 8.5 unless it was custom and the person didn't want it??? But I agree, very unlikely to size down that much.

The sapphire 3 stone ring isn't an option at all-he said there is too much on top to make the sizing work. He can create a ring that is similar but I wouldn't go with a 3 stone sapphire ring if that is the case (if he's making something for me). I would do a diamond solitaire but his diamond prices...well..they are painful. He said he has a 1.6K VS OEC for 15k (unset) and that's way over budget. I put his diamond price different into his settings though since 1400.00 is nothing for his work IMO.

I do like my ring but I don't LOVE it. I've never loved it. I think it's a nice ring-a nice size/etc but selling it intact will be a hard sale. The color/clarity combo needs someone who's willing to pay that premium for it. As it sits my local jeweler somehow chipped my girdle and chipped some of the side stones on my e-ring. In order to get top dollar for my stone it will need to be recut (ideal-no idea how much weight loss) and certified properly. I wouldn't be surprised if it came back as IF in clarity based on the feedback I've gotten thus far though-and not too many people are wiling to pay for a VVS stone.

So-if nothing can be had from JM at this time the best thing to do is wait. I plan on calling him and chatting as well as showing my husband this ring but as I said before-I fear going from a 7mmx7.5mm to something so small. I'm not partial to diamonds over sapphires-just don't want a HUGE diamond (I'm okay with a bigger sapphire).

I honestly think the ring below would look lovely on my hand. Just smaller than I would like. Should have bought that 1.21 P when I had the chance
http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/wordpress/1469-2/#.U9k9yWOeKjN

Also-I'm open to a colored stone in the setting or reusing the diamonds/metal in the future as well. So replacing it with a diamond down the road isn't the only option :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry that sapphire ring won't work out for you. :(sad

My 3-stone is indeed the ring that was originally made for Uppy. I bought it from JBEG last summer, when the ring's second owner apparently decided to move on to other things. I fell in love with it as soon as Uppy posted her FedEx reveal pictures, and I consider myself very lucky to be able to own it! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be good if you can put a colored stone in the old setting. (Generally jewelers will not reuse the metal from an existing ring, they'll just give you scrap value because it isn't as simple as melting down and reusing the metal. Also I have heard people say that melee stones are not worth unsetting and resetting unless they are above a certain size.)

I totally get what you are saying about wanting a ring you love. Just be sure you don't settle for something that is not quite what you want, because I can promise you'll be sorry later. That is a killer about JM's diamond prices. It is very hard when vendors don't use customer stones or a particular type stone. Do you check Ann McKay and Caleb Meyer, too? They do similar work.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Caleb does not work with outside stones.

Ann McKay took outside stones as of mid last year. I'm totally in love with this setting. http://www.annmckaystudio.com/Diamonds/B11.html
Her prices are so incredibly reasonable, too.

I must say that browsing the work of Ann McKay, Caleb Meyers, and some other jewelers in that area, James Meyer still has the best stuff. Ann McKay has some other very nice designs, too, and I believe she has Jim's permissions to reproduce a handful of his designs.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1406762839|3723407 said:
I'm sorry that sapphire ring won't work out for you. :(sad

My 3-stone is indeed the ring that was originally made for Uppy. I bought it from JBEG last summer, when the ring's second owner apparently decided to move on to other things. I fell in love with it as soon as Uppy posted her FedEx reveal pictures, and I consider myself very lucky to be able to own it! :bigsmile:

Yes you are one lucky mama-but I believe if things are meant to be they will be :)
A little bird told me there might be a JM piece coming onto the secondary market and they have reached out to the owner. I don't know the size/other details but if it's the right style/price/size I might be as lucky as you are!

diamondseeker2006 said:
That will be good if you can put a colored stone in the old setting. (Generally jewelers will not reuse the metal from an existing ring, they'll just give you scrap value because it isn't as simple as melting down and reusing the metal. Also I have heard people say that melee stones are not worth unsetting and resetting unless they are above a certain size.)

I totally get what you are saying about wanting a ring you love. Just be sure you don't settle for something that is not quite what you want, because I can promise you'll be sorry later. That is a killer about JM's diamond prices. It is very hard when vendors don't use customer stones or a particular type stone. Do you check Ann McKay and Caleb Meyer, too? They do similar work.

I would probably but a CS in it if I don't end up with a sapphire e-ring. I would put a nice sapphire in it and use it as a RHR :)

Caleb won't use outside stones and I haven't had good experience with Ann when requesting to use outside stones. I sent her a picture of the platform ring and she won't (must not be a design she's allowed to replicate) and didn't suggest anything close even when I asked her about some of her solitaire designs.

Jim did inform me he has a 1.1 K VS for just over the 8k mark but I'm not paying just over 10k for a new wedding set that is slightly over a carat-I would go with the smaller .89 before doing that.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so exciting I know how long you have wanted one of Jim's pieces, I hope that a preloved one comes up for sale soon!!!! I agree with DS you are going to notice a substantial drop in size with the .89 you are looking at on the hand.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1406814724|3723707 said:
That's so exciting I know how long you have wanted one of Jim's pieces, I hope that a preloved one comes up for sale soon!!!! I agree with DS you are going to notice a substantial drop in size with the .89 you are looking at on the hand.

I know-I'm pretty nervous/excited too. I must admit my husbands not very happy that this has gone haywire from getting a sapphire 3 stone to 'maybe using a stone he has or finding one 2nd hand' but he knew when he gave me the green light (based on my other jewelery experiences) that it wasn't going to be smooth sailing. I didn't even realize the ring was that large when I inquired about it but in an ideal world I'd get a JM ring in either unplated white gold with YG accents or a YG in his platform solitaire setting with a matching band. Again I love the sapphire 3 stone but not enough to recreate something with smaller proportions to be my engagement ring if we're going from scratch.

We'll see how this pans out. I'm compulsively checking my FB to see if I've gotten word on the possibly secondary market piece...so if the PSer is out there who is sitting on the fence about re-homing their JM ring hear my cry PLEASE LET ME BRING IT HOME lol.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Based on my experience, Jim's photos are very accurate. I have a blue sapphire ring and a purple tourmaline ring from him. His "glamour shots" are very real to life. The color of my stones looks just like his photos, under natural daylight.

Someone mentioned that Ann McKay does similar work. That's true, and I had a pendent made by her workshop before. However, my experience says I much prefer Jim's work, especially the bezel part.

Whatever you get, you cannot go wrong with Jim. He's got exquisite taste AND amazing skills! He also has a nice inventory of loose stones. :naughty: When he was building my custom ring a few years ago, he showed me an 8mm round lavender sapphire in an unusual blue-purple shade. At that time, I wanted something bigger in size, so he hunted down a tourmaline for me at the Tucson gem show. Sapphire price has gone up significantly since then, and I am kicking myself for not getting that lavender sapphire. It was really beautiful, and if I remember correctly, his quote was less than $700/carat!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie|1406821226|3723773 said:
Based on my experience, Jim's photos are very accurate. I have a blue sapphire ring and a purple tourmaline ring from him. His "glamour shots" are very real to life. The color of my stones looks just like his photos, under natural daylight.

Someone mentioned that Ann McKay does similar work. That's true, and I had a pendent made by her workshop before. However, my experience says I much prefer Jim's work, especially the bezel part.

Whatever you get, you cannot go wrong with Jim. He's got exquisite taste AND amazing skills! He also has a nice inventory of loose stones. :naughty: When he was building my custom ring a few years ago, he showed me an 8mm round lavender sapphire in an unusual blue-purple shade. At that time, I wanted something bigger in size, so he hunted down a tourmaline for me at the Tucson gem show. Sapphire price has gone up significantly since then, and I am kicking myself for not getting that lavender sapphire. It was really beautiful, and if I remember correctly, his quote was less than $700/carat!

thanks so much cookie for the info and confirming what I had hoped-I'll have to go check out your pieces now (I might have in the JM threads). I don't think I'd be happy if I got CM or another similar artisans work-not that I don't like their pieces because I do. It's mostly because when I see Jim's work I get an actual reaction to it like nothing else (maybe VC pieces) does for me. CM and Ann would make lovely RHR or earrings/etc for me but not enough to justify getting rid of my stone bc I feel like I'll always have 'settled'.

It's my math and being cheap that gets me. I have no issues paying for quality or paying someone what they/I feel what their time/skills/etc are worth. I bought a baby wrap and paid well over 100.00 per meter for someone to weave me something I use for my kids-I GET it-I do.

But when I can get a lovely (retail pricing-not even the secondary market) a 1.27 K SI OEC (from Grace) for less than 5k and the only stone 'in budget' that Jim has coming to him is a 1.1 K VS GIA graded OEC and he wants over 8k for it...well the price different is hard to swallow. IF the 1.1 was way less that it is I might have considered it but I can't pay that when if I hunt around I can almost get a 2 carat stone for that price.

Total for a 1.27 sourced diamond by another vendor + band/setting is $6650.00 for the entire set. To go with a 1.1 that Jim has sourced is 10,150.00

For someone who shops at thrift store but yet will pay artists for their work (I find a happy middle by not doing my hair/make up/nails lol) that big of a gap in size/price in the stones its just too hard for me to swallow.
If the stone was bigger for the price I might be more (but probably not bc I don't want to spend the entire budget) inclined to pay that price but as it sits I can't do it.

As it sits I have a few options

1. Hopefully one comes on the secondary market that is in budget and not to big
2. Hope Jim will agree to purchase a diamond from a source he usually doesn't use and have him custom make my set
3. If neither of the above our options either keep my ring as is or get the .89 carat and just be okay with a smaller size of diamond.

ETA: No go on the getting him to source a stone from an outside source. Not quite understanding of why (he said something about it being between wholesale and retail and I guess can't use her stone for whatever reason). He did mention something about making me something with a 1.2 (not sure what? Diamond-sapphire-finding out) for around what I'm looking to be at. Still hoping to hear about the secondary market ring and hopefully Jim can find something that will work so I have more than one option lol!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know he is pretty strict on not using other people's or vendor's stones so he makes more of a profit. I wonder if you could ask him to keep an eye out instead for an eyeclean SI stone that is over a carat, that way it should be a bit cheaper for you.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1406848357|3724076 said:
I know he is pretty strict on not using other people's or vendor's stones so he makes more of a profit. I wonder if you could ask him to keep an eye out instead for an eyeclean SI stone that is over a carat, that way it should be a bit cheaper for you.

Jim sent me some photos of a couple stones he has that are in budget. I'm not sure how I feel about them-I guess I'm just used to GOG and Grace's photos of awesome faceting patterns while shopping for stones. I know Jim's eyes can be relied on though but neither are really the size I was hoping to be at. I'd really like to be at 1.2/1.3 carats but I might have to go down in size or use more of the budget. I'll discuss it with my husband and go from there.

In the mean time I'd like to get your feedback on these 2 diamonds and their prices. I'm still considering a road trip/camping trip to see both styles in person since I really still love the sapphire 3 stone and could pick a sapphire out in person. That would also give coverage and stick closer to the budget I'd like to have.

I'm not a huge fan of the OEC...maybe it's just the photos but it doesn't look well cut at all.

Info from Jim on the stones
A European cut diamond of 1.10 carats, graded and certified by GIA as color M and clarity VVS2, for $4640. The setting for this stone (in the style of # 1469) would be $1300. The stone is very bright and lively, and has good proportions and nice high crown which I like. The stone is 6.2mm in diameter. The stone has a pleasing yellow body color which I don't mind; naturally if you want a white stone you must pay a lot more.

An antique cushion cut diamod of 1.04 carats, graded and certified by EGL as color K and clarity VS1, for $5740. The setting for this stone would be $1400 because of the cushion shape. The stone has a very nice shape, and the face dimensions are 6.2 x 5.9 mm. The stone faces up whiter than the color grade would indicate… it's a very handsome piece.

oecjm1.jpg

oecjm2.jpg

omcjm1.jpg

omcjm2.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I've been following your thread bc I'm in a similar situation and have been contemlating whether I should sell my stone and downsize in size but upgrade in cut and color. But I have to admit that I'm a little confused about your objective (blame it on my meds). First you said your diamond is too big so you want to downsize, but as your thread is progressing, you went from a sapphire to being open to an OEC, except you have issues with downgrading too much in size and spending more money than you spent on your current ring?
If I misunderstood anything, please correct me.
So I guess that I would like to know what your goal is. Is it the idea of owning a James Meyer setting what is motivating your sale? Or, if it's just a matter of selling your ring--is it because you can make a profit or what is it about the stone that you don't really like?

In my case, I don't like the color and the cut of my stone BUT I like that I have equity in the stone bc I couldn't fathom the thought of spending thousands on a stone that would one day be worth a fraction of what we paid.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1406917834|3724547 said:
Hi, I've been following your thread bc I'm in a similar situation and have been contemlating whether I should sell my stone and downsize in size but upgrade in cut and color. But I have to admit that I'm a little confused about your objective (blame it on my meds). First you said your diamond is too big so you want to downsize, but as your thread is progressing, you went from a sapphire to being open to an OEC, except you have issues with downgrading too much in size and spending more money than you spent on your current ring?
If I misunderstood anything, please correct me.
So I guess that I would like to know what your goal is. Is it the idea of owning a James Meyer setting what is motivating your sale? Or, if it's just a matter of selling your ring--is it because you can make a profit or what is it about the stone that you don't really like?

In my case, I don't like the color and the cut of my stone BUT I like that I have equity in the stone bc I couldn't fathom the thought of spending thousands on a stone that would one day be worth a fraction of what we paid.

Hi nala :) I hope that you get your diamond situation figure out too :)

Hopefully I can clarify: I like my ring but have never liked MRB-my ring was bought bc it was a great deal that we couldn't pass up as well as a lovely ring. My diamond is too big but it doesn't really have to do with the size on my finger (although smaller stones do look flattering) it's more of the fact that its a BIG DIAMOND. So if I had the same size stone but a sapphire-I don't think I'd mind as much. Many people don't realize/understand that sapphires/diamonds are both very expensive. No one I know has a diamond (or other) as large as mine and it bothers me that mine is so much bigger. So I'd either want to go with a smaller diamond (but not super small) or a sapphire of some sort (size really doesn't matter that much as long as it's not that much bigger than what I have).

Ideally I'd prefer a sapphire or diamond less than 1.5 carats. Between 1.2 and 1.3 carats would be amazing. James meyer 3 stone for a sapphire ring or his platform ring for a solitaire diamond.

Motivation for selling is 1) I don't like MRB
2) we can get at least twice what we paid for my stone and I am not a color/clarity person and so it doesn't make since for me to have money tied up into a stone that has high color/clarity when I can get a cut I like more for less.
3) To have a James Meyer ring before he stops making jewelery all together since it's more my style.

The issues I have with the JM ring is that my ring of high color/clarity/size cost WAY LESS than what I'll be paying for not only a lower color and clarity stone but also a half a carat down in size.

It's something that I'll have to get over since I'm paying for more than just a diamond from him-it's his craftsmanship that I am after. And if that means going down a half a carat and paying more than I wanted that very well may just happen. Although I'm strongly considering having him remake another 3 stone sapphire ring which would be more budget friendly than a single larger diamond.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
VL- I think it totally makes sense to sell, but only do so to get exactly what you want. You're doing it for no one but YOU!

He should be able to source something beautiful close to your general specifications, even if it takes a bit of waiting.

Btw, 1.1 ct K color for 8,000 is a little nuts... was that a typo?? Even a new K VS 1.1 ct shouldn't be much more than 5K.

I'm not a huge fan of M color... I start like them a bit more as it comes around to O-P but L-N is not my cup of tea. Just personal preference. But 6.2mm does sound like a good face up size for what you're looking for. The crown is insanely tall. I'd be interested to see something like that in person one day.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will have to go and view the stones in person, I helped an Aussie couple from Sydney purchase a ring made by Jim about 12 months ago and he picked a lovely stone for them. I doubt he would pick bad stones but neither one looks inspiring in those pics, they could be bad pics, old cuts are notorious difficult to photography well, the big high crown in the side on pic of the OEC shows that part of it is good. The cushion is more of a cross between an Antique and a modern cut, it has a smaller crown than the type of Antique cushions that appeal to me, and I don't know if it is just the angle the pic was taken but the top edge seems like it may have leakage, but it is a nice symmetrical shape. Do either come with certificates? We would know more if we can read how deep the stones are or are not etc....

If he has other sapphires there it might well be that a trip and short term costs where you actually look at everything might save you long term time and money by getting it right the first time rather than ending up with something you are only luke warm on.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1 said:
I think you will have to go and view the stones in person, I helped an Aussie couple from Sydney purchase a ring made by Jim about 12 months ago and he picked a lovely stone for them. I doubt he would pick bad stones but neither one looks inspiring in those pics, they could be bad pics, old cuts are notorious difficult to photography well, the big high crown in the side on pic of the OEC shows that part of it is good. The cushion is more of a cross between an Antique and a modern cut, it has a smaller crown than the type of Antique cushions that appeal to me, and I don't know if it is just the angle the pic was taken but the top edge seems like it may have leakage, but it is a nice symmetrical shape. Do either come with certificates? We would know more if we can read how deep the stones are or are not etc....

If he has other sapphires there it might well be that a trip and short term costs where you actually look at everything might save you long term time and money by getting it right the first time rather than ending up with something you are only luke warm on.

Did you get to see the JM ring in person? I take it they were happy? He just put up a new cushion cut ring-under a carat that is lovely as well so maybe I'll get to see a few different ones in person if they are still FS by the time we make it out that way.

We have a busy month-this month is a total write off between camping and family visiting from out of the country and my husbands annual brothers/boys weekend. We're already booking up Sept. and my husband has said we can go visit Jim if the other ring doesn't come to market or won't work for us.

I was going though some of my old photos after Grace from JBG posted a stunning antique pear halo ring which reminded me of the sapphire ring I loved and tried on prior to getting engaged at singlestone (there I also tried on a very similar antique pear halo ring to the one just posted by JBG). I like the sapphire look on my hand-can't recall the specs to save my life but it wasn't huge. Under 2 carats for sure but I know CS are measured differently and it was also in a halo. I do like the look of the sapphire though-too bad I didn't try on any 3 stones!

p1000796.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is what I would do .......

1. If you are stuck on JM, wait around until a second hand one comes along. You might be waiting a really long time unless you luck out. They don't come on the market that often.

2. If you are ok with the JM look, pursue your own old cut and get a ring custom made. It might not be exact but there some inspired versions are beautiful and priced a lot more effective.

Then you also still have your own ring to worry about ... selling a diamond is not as easy as you think. Not sure how long it will take. Perhaps, you can just sell your diamond now and then wait until you find something you like. Or do you really want to wear a ring on your finger?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1407796096|3730464 said:
This is what I would do .......

1. If you are stuck on JM, wait around until a second hand one comes along. You might be waiting a really long time unless you luck out. They don't come on the market that often.

2. If you are ok with the JM look, pursue your own old cut and get a ring custom made. It might not be exact but there some inspired versions are beautiful and priced a lot more effective.

Then you also still have your own ring to worry about ... selling a diamond is not as easy as you think. Not sure how long it will take. Perhaps, you can just sell your diamond now and then wait until you find something you like. Or do you really want to wear a ring on your finger?

Thanks for the feedback Charmy :) In the time I've been on PS I've only seen one diamond ring of JM go up for resale-and so I do have people on the look out for me for sapphire/diamond rings but coming by one that way is probably unlikey. I don't want to wait forever either because IF I can't get one from the secondary market it's very likely I'll go right to Jim before he retires all the way from making jewelry.

I'm still considering having something hand forged made and am chatting with Grace about having Erika design something similar in feel for me. I'll see how much this would cost and get some ideas going-if they make my heart pitter patter that very well may be the route we go. I've never been good at the custom process so we'll see if we can make me confident enough in that decision to pass up a JM ring all together. The biggest issue I see going this route is any savings I would get on a stone from the secondary market (or even retail from Grace) would probably be eaten up in the cost of the setting. So the only thing I would be gaining is a larger stone vs having JM work. Depending on the size difference I very well may prefer the JM ring over something custom made.

I just don't want to see Jim's work in person if I'm going to go the custom route because then I'll have more than just a computer visual to compare a custom ring and I'm not sure how happy it would make me then. I'd be better off never viewing his work in person if I was going to go that route.

Right now I'm still leaning heavily towards having Jim create me something and the more I look at sapphires and that sapphire 3 stone ring the more and more I love it. Still LOVE the .89 yellow gold solitare though so it's time to try some 3 stones on my hand :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard back on the ring that may or may not come onto the secondary market-it's a MRB and it's bigger than what I currently have. It's also out of budget but the first 2 factors were opposite of what I was going for anyways so I guess price doesn't matter lol!

I also found a 3 stone sapphire ring that I used to own. Center stone was small-probably less than a half a carat and it was from a mall store from my ex so I sold it to a friends husband for cheap as a sapphire 3 stone ring as a push present after the birth of their third child (she loved it when she saw it in my box so figured I might as well give it a new life). It does however give me an idea of proportions on my hand as well as a 3 stone look. What do you think?

p1010219.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Vintagelover229!
I'm so excited for your upcoming James Meyer piece. I've always loved his work, and I hope I can save up enough for one of his rings before he retires permanently.

I think a 1ct stone would look lovely on your hand (I'm also a size 4) and 1ct is generally within the realm of "a normal diamond size" even in smaller towns. (I totally get the "my diamond is too big" awkwardness, where I'm from my 0.77 ct is considered fairly big - I can't imagine going bigger for an everyday ring.) Can you wear a temporary trial type ring to see how your eyes would adjust to a smaller stone?

I like the cushion, but maybe he can find other stones if it's not to your taste.

I wonder if focusing on Jim's diamond prices vs usually PS diamond prices is making this decision harder than it needs to be. Would it be easier to think that you're buying the diamond at a standard price, but the setting and his work is worth $2500-$3000 rather than the $1300-$1400 he charges? I wonder if he prices his settings artificially low and then makes up for it on the stone because he's trying to compete with the $1000-$1500 jewellery store setting market? Maybe his usual customers would balk at paying more for a setting, but are more flexible with diamond prices because they don't watch the market like we do.

Treat yourself, his work is worth it!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1407881261|3731099 said:
Hi Vintagelover229!
I'm so excited for your upcoming James Meyer piece. I've always loved his work, and I hope I can save up enough for one of his rings before he retires permanently.

I think a 1ct stone would look lovely on your hand (I'm also a size 4) and 1ct is generally within the realm of "a normal diamond size" even in smaller towns. (I totally get the "my diamond is too big" awkwardness, where I'm from my 0.77 ct is considered fairly big - I can't imagine going bigger for an everyday ring.) Can you wear a temporary trial type ring to see how your eyes would adjust to a smaller stone?

I like the cushion, but maybe he can find other stones if it's not to your taste.

I wonder if focusing on Jim's diamond prices vs usually PS diamond prices is making this decision harder than it needs to be. Would it be easier to think that you're buying the diamond at a standard price, but the setting and his work is worth $2500-$3000 rather than the $1300-$1400 he charges? I wonder if he prices his settings artificially low and then makes up for it on the stone because he's trying to compete with the $1000-$1500 jewellery store setting market? Maybe his usual customers would balk at paying more for a setting, but are more flexible with diamond prices because they don't watch the market like we do.

Treat yourself, his work is worth it!

Thanks so much for your feedback HopeDream-I think since I've worn something so big I'm just fearful I'll regret the change one day. My wedding set is beautiful and it matches my RHR and it's in all my wedding photos. I know I'm not giving up the whole set-it would just be the diamond but apart of me is worried that I'll miss it later on down the road. I have other diamonds and the smaller sizes don't bother me at all and I still enjoy them so I do think if I get a 1 carat diamond maybe I'll still do a 3 stone and just do sapphire side stones.

Can I see your JM ring? I've only seen 1 ring on ebay and it was a pearl ring and it was huge. Jim makes lovely things but some of them just don't work well for small fingered folks like us ::)

I do think your right with regards to diamond prices vs setting prices. I just have to no longer separate the 2 and make it a package deal since most hand forged settings start at the 2500.00 range and go up quickly from there. I had a quote from someone to make something similar hand forged and the quote started at 3500-4500.00-so it is all relative.

I plan on trying on different size rings that he has there to see what looks best proportionally on my finger. I very well may give Jim free reign within reason on my ring with regards to a 3 stone or solitaire based on what we like on my finger.

Our fall is quickly filling up and my husband would prefer we wait until Spring to go when things calm down but I don't see that happening since we have 2 babies being born in the family this spring. He did say that when things slow down (so after he returns from his trip the first week in Sept) we'll look at our calender for the rest of the month and try to find a weekend that would work well for a camping trip. It's getting cold fast here though and has been a very mild summer-I'm not much for camping when it's cold. I'll update this thread as soon as I have more info with a date to visit Jim as well as pictures from our trip when we go.

Thank you all so much for your feedback-its very therapeutic for me to write out my thoughts and read other peoples view points.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I figured I should update my thread with our recent decision :)

After speaking with Jim on the phone he explained that creating a new sapphire 3 stone ring-even with a 1 carat center stone-will have around the same mm proportions as the one that currently exsists on his site. He said that ring (although the sapphire is 1.8 carats it faces up around the 6mm mark bc it's deep) has a 19mm side to other side measurement and that's huge HUGE for my finger. It would hang off the sides-even creating a 1 carat diamond with the proportional sapphires as side stones. He suggested I stick with a solitare if i decide to go with one of his rings and said it would look lovely on my hand.

After much prayer and discussion with my husband we have decided to get the 1.1 M VVS OEC with the high crown and lovely warm color set in yellow gold with platinum bezel and cuffs with the matching band. The decision did not come easy-since as many people have pointed out-it's hard to justify spending the money to go up to that size (even spending as little as we did) but the fact remains-I am quite set on owning a james meyer engagement ring to wear for the rest of my life.

I will be going down around a half carat but will be without a diamond for 2 weeks before getting my new ring. I am certain that with the time away from a big stone-and the drastic change in style and appearances that over all the adjustment visually will be minimal.
We will be coming out with over 3k to put towards the house and other things that it will be useful for.

Prior to Jim retiring having him create something (larger) and more 'affordable' would have been an option-but he retired and stopped taking outside stones just after meeting my SO. Buying this ring and using the funds we put into it-as well as made off of it-has made getting a decent size stone in his setting-an option-when prior it wouldn't have been (I never would have dropped over 6k on a wedding set with all the immigration fee's and house expenses we had/have).

My ring size being a 4-I know the 1.1 will look sizable on my finger and I know I'll love the setting. We go to meet him in person to pick up the ring the week of the 27th-just before Jim takes off for a few weeks to Italy. GOG is closed today but tomorrow a shipping label will be created and my ring will be off to GOG and an offer will be made.

My exsisting setting will remain empty (sadly) for the time being until we can afford to pay for a colored stone (sapphire probably) as well as the expense of setting it will likely be our 5 year anniversary unless we find a good deal on one preowned and the timing is right.

Thank you all so much for being a voice of reason during this back and forth time. I am happy with our decision and will enjoy my last day with my huge and high color/clarity diamond before venturing down the road of james meyer and a lower cut OEC. Over the last year I've had the chance to view a few lower color stones in person-only to confirm that I don't mind lower colored stones at all either.

Getting my husband on board was the longest journey but the experience has taught us a lot about ourselves and our relationship as well as feelings and how to communiate them in a respectul way that the other person may or may not understand. 5 years later here we are-I am downgrading my diamond but upgrading my setting and all in all-I feel good about the decision.

Pictures will come as I get them. Depoist will happen on Wed. and I'm hoping that Jim will include pictures of the fabrication process since I'm pretty interested in it.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I'm so excited for you Vintagelover229!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results