shape
carat
color
clarity

Champagne Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kedzie

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have been a long time lurker and am in need of your expertise! I realize that I am being pretty specific here, but would any of you be able to point me in the right direction:

Sapphire
Champagne color (light)
Cushion Cut (I also like octagon cuts as well)
Approx 11mm x 7mm (smaller sizes considered as well - I just like these dimensions)
Heating is ok for me (no BE) - but apparently as I write this it is not ok for my boyfriend
6.gif
Thanks for looking over my shoulder babe!
Under $500

Am I crazy for thinking I will ever find this? Or will I need to start from scratch (find rough and have it cut).

Thank you so much in advance,
Kedzie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm somewhat unclear about your request. You are looking for a untreated light brown sapphire with a budget of $500? A size of 11x7 mm means the carat weight will be at least 4 ct.

Kedzie

Rough_Rock
Originally, I was considering morganite for a stone. A 11 x 7 mm stone put the weight around 2 or 2 1/2 for morganite - so my sense of weight is a bit skewed, but that is why I am also considering smaller sapphire stones as well.

Thank you for your help!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Could you show us the exact color you''re after, cause people perceive color descriptions differently - doesen''t have to be a pic of a gem.

Is this for an e-ring? Is it for any kind of ring? Would you wear it 24/7 or just once in a while?

Have you looked at hessonites? They can come in champagne shades and be quite affordable, like THESE (hope the link works).

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Corrundum is more dense then beryl, so you''ll have a smaller sized champagne sapphire than morganite for the same carat weight (sometimes cut will maximize spread, but all other things constant, the morganite will be larger).

Champagne sapphire is not a very popular color, and I haven''t seen it on many vendors sites. I''d send out an email to Bob Kast or Dana at Mastercutgems, who might have something like that on stock.

You''re going to have a hard time with this one. $500 for a 4ct unheated sapphire? Highly unlikely. However, if the sapphire sought after were of a generally unpopular color (everyone has their own tastes of course, and I do personally like champagne colored gems), it might be theoretically possible, but hard to source in reality. Please keep us posted on your search!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What kind of setting are you considering? I''m asking cause settings sometimes significantly influence colors of stones. So for example, a light yellow (or light orange) stone can become light brown if you set it in a white gold/platinum bezel - doesen''t happen every time, but often. I know it''s not the solution you are after but keep it in mind in case you don''t find exactly what you''re looking for (but fingers crossed that you do, of course
1.gif
).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2010 12:29:17 PM
Author: Kedzie
This would be for an engagement ring
1.gif
So it needs to be a durable stone. Let me see if I can add some pictures for the color that I am looking for:

http://www.planetarygems.com/rare_gems.htm

(It''s the fourth stone down on the right side I was not able to attach the picture).

http://www.thehollywoodcollection.com/Images/hcr232.jpg

Thank you for your help!

I saw both. On planetarygems website, maybe you meant 3rd one down? the 4th one is pretty pink!

This is a color you may have a hard time finding. I''ve seen it more in zircons than sapphires.

-A

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 11:24:53 PM
Author: Kedzie
Originally, I was considering morganite for a stone. A 11 x 7 mm stone put the weight around 2 or 2 1/2 for morganite - so my sense of weight is a bit skewed, but that is why I am also considering smaller sapphire stones as well.

Thank you for your help!

You could also take a look at topaz. It is a little harder and the refractive index is higher than morganite. Admitly not as durable or with an R.I. as high as sapphire. Topaz IMO does champange color very nicely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2010 1:31:56 PM
Author: Arcadian
I saw both. On planetarygems website, maybe you meant 3rd one down? the 4th one is pretty pink!

This is a color you may have a hard time finding. I've seen it more in zircons than sapphires.

-A
Ditto; the fourth is a very pretty pink but the third is described as champagne. The one in the second link is gorgeous! I agree with CMW that topaz may be a good option. I just don't see a lot of sapphires with this colour.

Kedzie

Rough_Rock
Oops! Yes, it is the third stone down on the right on the planetary gems website! Thanks for catching that.

I am planning on setting it in a rose gold halo. That is, if I ever find it
1.gif

Kedzie

Rough_Rock
I''m still on the prowl and would like your comments on the following stones if you have a minute.

Have you had experience with GemSelect? Good? Bad?

I am still learning about windows... do the following look ok? For me it is still hard to tell:

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-236382.php

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-236706.php (I see the inclusion in this one... would it be very visible with the naked eye, do you think?)

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-236709.php

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-357123141 (This one is from multicolour.com)

Thank you, thank you for all of your help in advance
1.gif

Kedzie

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, no wonder the stone from multicolour has the nicest color, cause it''s by far the most expensive. It''s quite a nice stone, and a decent size for an untreated sapphire, but I don''t know how high the price is, relative to what can be found elsewhere. Of the three stones from gemselect you can only be sure of a window in the second one, cause that''s the only one that''s been photographed face up (straight from above, view through the table). The first one has a decent color, while the other two are probably closer to being colorless (i.e. really, really pale).

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Funny I was JUST looking at champagne coloured stones before I read your thread! (I like morganite too) Not sure if you ARE interested in topaz, but I found this one and had thought it was a lovely colour (obviously a LITTLE bit bigger than 4 carats too - don''t know if that''s good or bad though - lol):

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1614

Keep us updated!

Mausketeer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results