shape
carat
color
clarity

Ceylon sapphire purchased from jeweler

steaktacos1

Rough_Rock
Hi all. As I eagerly await my white flash ring I wanted to post about my sapphire ring that I just picked up today 9ECBA5B7-17CE-416A-8699-F144172664A1.jpeg

the setting is my original engagement ring setting. The local jeweler (highly reputable but I was a first time customer) had a Ceylon sapphire (0.6 carat) available that fit into the setting.

I paid $430 for the sapphire + setting fee. I have no idea if this is a decent sapphire or not but I did the breath test and it disappeared in 1 second. I’m just wondering if I got ripped off or if there’s anything you see that my amateur eyes aren’t seeing. Thanks!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did the breath test and it disappeared in 1 second

I hope it came back!

This is not a thing.

At that price point, I assume it is heated and perhaps diffused. And at that price point, the tail is wagging the dog -- the mounting and workmanship are far more than the center stone.

If you like it, that is enough. It is generally not worth getting a report and we are not able to place a value on it without a report. Moreover, it is so tiny in the photo that no one can even hazard a guess.

It's pretty -- enjoy it!

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all. As I eagerly await my white flash ring I wanted to post about my sapphire ring that I just picked up today 9ECBA5B7-17CE-416A-8699-F144172664A1.jpeg

the setting is my original engagement ring setting. The local jeweler (highly reputable but I was a first time customer) had a Ceylon sapphire (0.6 carat) available that fit into the setting.

I paid $430 for the sapphire + setting fee. I have no idea if this is a decent sapphire or not but I did the breath test and it disappeared in 1 second. I’m just wondering if I got ripped off or if there’s anything you see that my amateur eyes aren’t seeing. Thanks!

Agree that it’s impossible to tell if there are issues unless you get some close up shots.

With that said, I think you have a gorgeous ring and the sapphire looks perfectly sized for your hand. I would have thought it was about a carat. The blue is gorgeous!

The value of the sapphire depends on color, origin, and treatments. If it’s just heat treated and a Ceylon sapphire, then you def got your money’s worth. If it’s untreated, you got a good deal. If it’s treated with beryllium, you overpaid. But, I think others can confirm, treatments legally need to be disclosed in the US. Doesn’t mean people aren’t shady and get away with it, but you said it’s a reputable dealer so that’s a good sign.

if you didn’t discuss treatment, just call and ask!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly the number of people in here gabbling away about beryllium is incredible. When you heat sapphire with beryllium, the result is a REDUCTION in blue tones. So brighter yellow or orange sapphire can be coaxed from poor yellow or green coloured stones, purplish rubies can be made a purer red and pink sapphires can be made to look a vibrant orangey pink pad colour. In a minuscule few cases it’s possible to make an overly dark blue sapphire a slightly better tone but the likelihood of coming across a be treated blue sapphire is incredibly low.

99.9% this is a very nice little heat only blue which fits incredibly well into your setting. Please don’t worry about it.

Congratulations on your lovely ring

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly the number of people in here gabbling away about beryllium is incredible. When you heat sapphire with beryllium, the result is a REDUCTION in blue tones. So brighter yellow or orange sapphire can be coaxed from poor yellow or green coloured stones, purplish rubies can be made a purer red and pink sapphires can be made to look a vibrant orangey pink pad colour. In a minuscule few cases it’s possible to make an overly dark blue sapphire a slightly better tone but the likelihood of coming across a be treated blue sapphire is incredibly low.

99.9% this is a very nice little heat only blue which fits incredibly well into your setting. Please don’t worry about it.

Thanks for clarifying. This was my understanding but I wasn't entirely sure!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

idk, I've seen a number of sapphires described as beryllium-treated blue sapphires. On ebay they're pretty common. I don't think your information is correct and a quick google backs me up.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful !

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a very pretty ring at a great price but what that usually means is that the sapphire is heated and treated. For a member above to say she thinks 99.9% for sure it’s heat only is, I’m afraid, an opinion that most others won’t share. If I were you I’d enjoy wearing your ring and not worry about what it is/isn’t. The reason I’m saying that is it will cost you the same amount to have a lab report on it and so unless you have a burning desire to know, it’s not worth it.

Just for clarification, beryllium diffusion can make a blue sapphire more blue not less so which is why it became so popular.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal opinion is that its a lovely ring, by the same token, you don't know the story about the sapphire until you have it independently tested. I won't go into if its diffused or not, but based on my own personal experience, it could be at that price point.

Trust but verify comes into play. Also comes into play "if I can't throw you, I might not trust you."

Unless you're willing to go through independent testing, you may want to assume its treated. It would be fair to say such. No one can tell by looking at the image HOW its treated, and this is where lab reports come into play.

However enjoy the ring for what it is, you got a lovely ring for that price.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The OP already owned the setting (her original engagement ring setting), so the $430 is just for the .6 ct sapphire plus the labor of setting it.

I've bought a .5 carat heat-only sapphire online for $175 that had a feather and a pretty blue color, and a jeweler charged me around $25 to set it in an antique setting I already owned. That comes to $200, plus a bit for tax and shipping--say $230 total. So I don't think it's at all impossible for the OP to get a nice-looking (though maybe not extremely high quality), natural, heat-only .6ct sapphire put in her old setting for $430, especially if she's a good customer and the jeweler is cultivating her business. I assume her fingers are on the small side, which is why her sapphire looks so big. Mine are on the big side, so my 4.5 mm sapphire looks small in its setting and on my hand.

Here's my ring with its cheap-but-pleasant sapphire:
IMG_2349.jpg IMG_2355.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Edit:

“the likelihood of coming across a be treated blue sapphire FROM YOUR REPUTATBLE LOCAL JEWELLER is incredibly low”

I’m sure you can find all sorts of cr@p on eBay

roxta

Shiny_Rock
I have some stones that are heated/treated or assumed heated/treated (based to the price) and I wear and enjoy them anyway. I don't plan on selling them or having to verify any claims/guarantees on their history, so that keeps my mind at ease. They just make me happy when I look at them and that's their value to me.
I have zero idea what normal blue sapphires usually cost because I go for pastel shades only, but the setter who works with my jeweller charges something like $30-40 per stone, if that helps. Not sure if they would have needed to restore the prongs or anything like that before setting, but you can ask exactly what the setting fee was which will tell you how much the sapphire was.
Also, is the "breath test" to test if you're alive? :bigsmile: :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results