shape
carat
color
clarity

Cell Phone Recommendations Please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Hi all.

I don''t post much, but I was curious to know if anyone would mind recommending a cell phone. We have Verizon and in all honesty, I''m not 100% happy with their phone selection. It can be a BlackBerry, regular cell...so on. I would rather it be able to download App''s and the like, but it doesn''t have to.

All in all, I really want an iPhone, but At&t service around where we live is AWFUL. Right now my LG Venus is in half and I refuse to pay for another one through the insurance because I never really liked the phone to begin with.

Thanks so much!! It''s greatly appreciated.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have Tmobile, and DH got an iphone - they don''t carry it, but I was able to buy an At&T iphone and jailbreak it. DH has had it for a month now. LOVEs it. I''ve had pretty good luck with Samsungs, I''ve had blackberry pearls and the curve. The pearl we''ve had a couple of issues with it, but Tmobile has sent us new ones to replace (manufactures warranty was not up) I loved my curve. I got too obsessive with texting, emailing, so I ended up selling it and getting a cheapy basic basic phone to use.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm in a similar position to you. I'd love an iPhone, but just can't deal with the crap service AT&T phones get around here.

I have a Blackberry Curve through work and love it. I've read some iffy reviews of the BBerry Storm, but I also know people who are very happy with it. I'm debating whether or not to get a Curve for personal use too, but then I'd have to carry around two of them ... plus, FI would want one if I got one, and that's $50 extra a month that I don't think we need to spend.

As for regular phones, I don't know much about them. I've had the same flip phone for 2 years now and like it enough that I can't find anything I like better. It's an LG and I just love LGs for some reason. I've had others, but always go back to the LGs.

Oh, and SIL has a Samsung Glyde that she just got and already hates. So I wouldn't recommend that one.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been hearing very good things about the LG EnV Touch. Everyone says it''s the best non-smartphone Verizon has right now...better than the Dare and Versa. I like that it has the fold-out keyboard as well as the touchscreen, and the screen is nice and big. It can supposedly use apps and stuff, but there aren''t too many apps available at the moment. I expect that to change as it becomes more popular (it''s still pretty new). I plan on getting it in February when I become eligible to upgrade.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Samsung Omnia, which is a touchscreen. I''ve been happy with it, the reception is great (but, I do live in Atlanta which has pretty good coverage anyway). My only complaints so far is I wish the ringer was a little louder (but that could be the ring I have it set to) and the vibrate stronger.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I just got the HTC TOUCH PRO and so far so good. I have sprint but I think Verizon has this phone too. I bought it on Ebay brand new and saved a ton without signing a new contract

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have a Blackberry Storm, and it''s the best phone I have ever had. Verizon is actually the only cell phone provider that hasn''t blatantly tried to rip me off - and I have been through 4 others in my area. My Storm is so fun!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 5:31:03 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I''ve been hearing very good things about the LG EnV Touch. Everyone says it''s the best non-smartphone Verizon has right now...better than the Dare and Versa. I like that it has the fold-out keyboard as well as the touchscreen, and the screen is nice and big. It can supposedly use apps and stuff, but there aren''t too many apps available at the moment. I expect that to change as it becomes more popular (it''s still pretty new). I plan on getting it in February when I become eligible to upgrade.

I had this, and LOVED it. It was like a Blackberry and an iPhone in one!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been with Sprint for over a decade and I love their service. DH switched from T-Mobile several years ago so we could be on the same plan, and he loves it, too.

DH and I both have the Blackberry Curve, we both love it. I had the Pearl for a week, but we went back in to Sprint to buy an ear piece and the sales associate advised me to trade the Pearl in for the Curve because he said he sees a lot of problems with the Pearl. The phones cost us the same amount, so there wasn''t anything in it for the SA to tell me to do that.

I had several Samsung flip phones before the Curve, and I loved them all, too. I''m not sure if it''s the phone, or Sprint that make the difference, but I''ve never had service or reception problems in the ten plus years I''ve been using a cell phone.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the Blackberry Curve here!

I love mine and have yet to find a phone that could satisfy me more (I am too tactile for the touch screen of an iPhone - I have a hard enough time typing on my iPod Touch). I am a heavy heavy texter but mostly I love how versitile it is - from texting to music to internet - I literally have everything in the palm of my hand. Plus, this phone can take what I dish out - many drops, tosses, kicks, calls that just HAD to be made in the pouring rain...and it has held up to all of it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please excuse the threadjack in advance Lekde...
12.gif

This is probably such a silly question, because I know BB is totally work/business-oriented, so I''m sure the answer is yes...but can you sync your BBs with Outlook? (calendar, tasks, contacts, etc.)?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 5:36:01 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 7/8/2009 5:31:03 PM

Author: jstarfireb

I had this, and LOVED it. It was like a Blackberry and an iPhone in one!

Sweet! I can''t wait; the only thing is that I really prefer a flip phone form factor, so it will be tough to move away from that. I just can''t wait to have an html browser and a 3.2 megapixel camera!

Just wanted to add that the data plans are more expensive and required for Blackberry/Smartphone models. You can choose whether or not to get a data plan for the EnV just like any regular phone. So if you don''t do a lot of web browsing, you could just get the regular plan or the one that includes free texting.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I was in the same quandry - my verizon phone broke, but I didn''t want to get another one and sign up for 2 more years of service, especially since I saw that a new iphone would be coming out soon.

So, I bought a cheapy (like $25) used verzion phone on ebay to tide me over. I used that phone for 2 months, then the new iphone came out which I REALLY like. I''m in LA and the AT&T service hasn''t been that bad yet, but then again I use my work phone for a lot of calls.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I are on a family plan with Verizon, and we both have LG EnV. He has the original one and I have the EnV 2. There''s a third one out now, plus the touch, as jstarfireb mentioned. We like them a lot and haven''t had any issues.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
I've been through pretty much every cellphone out there, including a blackberry pearl. I now have an iPhone- it's hands down the best phone I've ever owned! I'm actually writing this PS post from it, lol! If you can work it out, I'd recommend it over any phone out there!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
How do you unlock an iPhone?

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I recommend Nokia 3800 (have been using it since last Dec.) or N97

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2009 9:48:46 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
How do you unlock an iPhone?
there's a youtube clip to show you how but your phone had to have firmware 2.2.1, however it didn't work the first time for us (since the seller messed up half way through the process), worked for a friend of ours, but not us. Then we found a guy that knew how on craigslist since I got the phone for a very decent price (who also unlock and jailbreak iphones for a seller on Ebay). Anyhow only those that have Tmobile, AT&T Cingular that utilizes sim cards can be unlocked.

ETA: you don't necessarily have to buy a phone that is already unlocked - (as those sometimes are usually more expensive on the auctions- but if you don't know how or don't want to figure it out then these are probably the ones to buy) I just buy a phone with a refund policy understanding that if the phone can't be unlocked and jailbroken that I will return it usually have no problem.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! Thank you all so much for taking your time to help me!

I still haven''t decided what to get. I''m honestly torn between staying with Verizon or going to At&t for the iPhone regardless if the service is kinda on the not-so-good side. I''m in NY and even in NYC I''ve heard At&t is iffy. My father has a BB Curve through work with At&t and he uses it primarily for e-mail and text; he also has (as a personal phone) the LG Dare. I played with the dare last night and while its a total upgrade from my phone, I don''t LOVE it. I don''t talk a lot on the phone, I like to text and e-mail more.

My DBF has the original EnV and HATES it. It just keeps breaking on him and it won''t hold a call for the life it...that''s what makes me kind of hesitant abouot going the EnV route.

Rockzilla, I also was thinking about doing what you suggested. I actually have an old phone that still works and I''m considering taking that into Verizon and just hooking that up.

Well, thank you again for taking the time to help me!
35.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I am not going to be much help because I have an LG Venus and I think it is a great phone.But I do not have much use for all those apps and extras. I have always had better luck with the LG phones in the past.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lekde--Right before I got my Blackberry Curve (just two weeks ago) DH and I went in to AT&T to check out package prices because we haven''t been under contract with Sprint for years, so we figured we''d switch as long as I was buying a new phone. The cost was outrageously high at AT&T, especially compared to the Sprint service we just switched to.

My advice would be to do some comparison shopping. It seems that AT&T is charging a lot right now because they know they can, since they are the only provider with the iPhone. *However* other providers have been losing some business because people have been flocking to AT&T for the iPhone, so they are lowering their prices. DH and I switched from a 1200 minute a month plan with only one Blackberry data plan to 1500 minutes per month and two BB data plans, and it is costing us LESS money now.

Our SA at Sprint said that they are running great deals because they''ve lost customers to AT&T and they want to bring them back. I imagine other providers are having the same issues, so if I were you I''d try to get a great deal.

In the end, DH didn''t want an iPhone because he loves his BB Curve, and I didn''t care enough to justify spending so much more at AT&T *and* to risk having worse service with a different provider. The other thing is that AT&T''s nights and weekends begin at 9 PM (!) and Sprint''s begin at 7 PM, which makes a big difference for us.

*Also, I don''t know if you''re a teacher, or in some other service profession, but all of the phone providers offer 15% off your monthly service plan for teachers. If you''re a police officer or firefighter, etc., I imagine you would get the same discount. They don''t advertise it, but you just have to ask.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Lekde, I think that Verizon is the best carrier for NYC. For some reason, I don''t get as many drop calls as my friends who are use different carriers. I was at the Verizon store today because I''m also looking for a new phone. The Samsung Glyde looks pretty cool and has a touch screen like the iPhone. Of course it''s not as fun as the iPhone but it''s much cheaper! It also has a QWERTY keyboard.
Let me know what you decide to get!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I have the new iPhone 3GS and I love it. I had the 1st Gen iPhone before that, but it went crazy (this one error message keeps popping up and the phone would not turn off).

D&T - Your DH has a jailbreak iPhone 3G?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
So far I seriously LOVE the iPhone (only had it about a week though)..any chances AT&T will be upgrading their network there any time soon?
40.gif

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Blackberry Pearl for work and an iPhone for personal use. Have to say I HATE the BB but love the iPhone. I hate the BB wheel and its so clunky to use. My iPhone is ace. I love all the apps and functions. Things I use all the time include
- radio streaming over internet
- ECB cricket scores- gotta keep up with the Ashes!
- Weight Watchers points calculator
- Google reader
- Fizz weather (uk based tho)
- Traffic reports
- Google maps (can''t wait for the Tom Tom stuff to come out)
- The internet is so much better on iPhone than BB
- Twitterfon
- Yelp/ Local picks. We found loads of AMAZING places to eat and drink in NYC when we were visiting.

I''d defo get an iPhone and unlock it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results