shape
carat
color
clarity

Celebrity Interest/Obsession: Why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 10:34:41 PM
Author:KimberlyH
I am really curious as to why anyone finds the lives of celebrities, as displayed to the public through the slanted eyes of the media, PR people, etc,, interesting enough to spend time discussing, either on a discussion board or in real life. Care to share why you are interested, if, in fact, you are? And if you're not, why do you think you just don't care?

Kimberly,
To answer your original question, I am one of those not interested. I just feel like too much importance is placed on someone simply b/c their career is deemed entertaining or they're great athletes. It is their job just as someone's job is a teacher, engineer, lawyer, doctor, chef, etc... I don't think that b/c someone is an actor, that should automatically make me interested in their personal life. They aren't my friends or someone important in society, they're just other people who happen to be famous b/c of what they do, not the accomplishments that they've made, how they've helped society, etc... It is all a little misplaced to me but that is our society.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Actors and other professionals in the entertainment industry can lead perfectly normal lives. Away from LA, New York, London, etc. I live close to Austin; it pains me to see a PEOPLE magazine StarTrack of someone like Sandra Bullock, Jessica Simpson, or Lance Armstrong photographed around Austin. It means that the vultures are circling, and screwing up the cool places for everyone and the celebrity du jour. Now, I don''t think Austin is going to be putting up with too much of that crap, because they have always kept a level head when it comes to ''famous'' folks. And the famous have always kept their head firmly on their shoulders, and not up their butts. (My godson was surprised to see Sandra Bullock at Whole Foods one day when he actually bumped into her. She was really nice, and since he didn''t do a ''star-struck'' number on her, she was completely normal and had a fairly long conversation with him. My niece was introduced to George Eads at a local golf course, and he was very sweet to her, telling her stories of growing up in the area.)

But, speaking of PEOPLE, I''m getting just a bit tired of them publishing the exact kinds of photos that these sleazeballs are stalking the celebs for. The poor schmuck just wants to get his groceries in peace, take his kids to the park, attend Little League. Can''t we all just leave him alone?? PEOPLE used to be a farily reputable rag; I''m beginning to wonder. . .

There is definitely a certain type of celeb that will go out of their way to get themselves mentioned in the press, at all costs, and I think we know who they are. And what kind of person they are.

I''m not particularly interested in entertainment (and I use the term loosely) celebs. I think most adult people are not. This monster is being fed by the 12 to 22 crowd, IMO. They need a connection to the latest cool thing, gadget, person.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 7:16:35 PM
Author: HollyS

I''m not particularly interested in entertainment (and I use the term loosely) celebs. I think most adult people are not. This monster is being fed by the 12 to 22 crowd, IMO. They need a connection to the latest cool thing, gadget, person.

Agreed. Well said, Holly, as usual.
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
We have become a media drenched society...the media creates the drama that is sent into our homes and businesses...it about ratings and money...reality television has given people the oppertunity to have their 15 minutes of fame and the media feeds us the message that this is the best way to be famous.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I find that I really don''t care for celebrities and I never really have. There is nothing about them that really makes me care.

Celebrities really are normal people, for the most part. I was in Chicago for a business trip and on one day, the stars must have aligned or something, but as I was going to my hotel room, Beyonce was leaving hers. I happened to drop my bag and my stuff went everywhere and she actually helped me pick it up. I wasn''t like OMG GAWD YOU''RE BEYONCE!!! CAN I HAVE A PICTURE AND YOUR AUTOGRAPH?!?!?!

I was like, "Thanks, and your shoes are fabulous."

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 10:38:15 PM
Author: pennquaker09
I find that I really don''t care for celebrities and I never really have. There is nothing about them that really makes me care.

Celebrities really are normal people, for the most part. I was in Chicago for a business trip and on one day, the stars must have aligned or something, but as I was going to my hotel room, Beyonce was leaving hers. I happened to drop my bag and my stuff went everywhere and she actually helped me pick it up. I wasn''t like OMG GAWD YOU''RE BEYONCE!!! CAN I HAVE A PICTURE AND YOUR AUTOGRAPH?!?!?!

I was like, ''Thanks, and your shoes are fabulous.''

Penn, YOU are fabulous! Love it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 10:38:15 PM
Author: pennquaker09

I was like, ''Thanks, and your shoes are fabulous.''
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 10:34:41 PM
Author:KimberlyH
I am really curious as to why anyone finds the lives of celebrities, as displayed to the public through the slanted eyes of the media, PR people, etc,, interesting enough to spend time discussing, either on a discussion board or in real life. Care to share why you are interested, if, in fact, you are? And if you''re not, why do you think you just don''t care?
All I have to say is that when you take 5 to 8 hour flights on a monthly basis, celebrity trash magazines become the greatest thing since sliced bread.
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
To answer the original post, I have NO idea why I''m interested in their lives. I think I''m just generally interested in people''s lives (some may call that nosy). It''s just interesting to see how those people live, even though they probably live just like us. Sometimes it''s refreshing to see someone who makes 18 million a film walking out of Whole Foods without make-up on. Kind of puts us all the same playing field.

What I DON''T like is when they take it too far and you have Britney Spears on your hands. Her life was spiraling out of control, and she needed serious help. I don''t like that the papparazi continued to harass her when it was clear she was not in her right mind. I stopped reading that gossip, and just hoped she found help.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I am not that interested in celebs, however if something big comes up and I find it on CNN, then I may take a peak (i.e. when Ben broke up with Jennifer Lopez, or Brad and Angelina had Shilo...) or if I am very bored, I am may go to people.com. However, I am more interested in their clothes and jewelry....because I like to see how they dress with so much money, stylists, etc so I may be able to steal their look :) Therefore, the only "celebish" magazine I get is InStyle and Vogue.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 12:04:59 PM
Author: UCLABelle
I am not that interested in celebs, however if something big comes up and I find it on CNN, then I may take a peak (i.e. when Ben broke up with Jennifer Lopez, or Brad and Angelina had Shilo...) or if I am very bored, I am may go to people.com. However, I am more interested in their clothes and jewelry....because I like to see how they dress with so much money, stylists, etc so I may be able to steal their look :) Therefore, the only ''celebish'' magazine I get is InStyle and Vogue.
There you are UCLABelle!! Git your bootie over to the BWW thread we made for you and tell us about your wedding before I cyber spank you!!
2.gif

I used to get bored and scan the online media sites, CNN, MSNBC, and naturally read an article if it was tragic, like Heath Ledger dying. But aside from that, I think the media is a huge culprit in distracting our youth from growing up and by not reporting on serious life issues that the public should know about.

But then I found PS and now I forget to even click on CNN.com anymore. I find your real lives much more fascinating.
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know (and this is probably not a good trait) but I love gossip. Any gossip I guess. People I know, celebs, all the same to me. It is entertaining. That being said I am probably the *least* star stuck person I know. Guess it has to do with past experiences.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea why celebrity lives are so interesting to some folks. Maybe it''s because their lives are so very different? I dunno. I myself have little to no interest in celebrity gossip. My own life with 2 teenagers is drama filled enough! I do have to say that when something is really really wrong I hit the TMZ site or the E channel. DH knows that when I am glued to the screen and TMZ is on it, something terrible must have happened. For example, DH came home from work a few months ago and I was intent upon the computer. Seeing what was on he asked what was wrong. I turned to him, started sobbing, and told him my grandma had a stroke. I guess it''s some kind of an escape when I''m super stressed.....Or maybe it''s the thought that, oh yeah, it could be worse...I could be Lindsay Lohan....

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 9:11:26 PM
Author: Miranda
I have no idea why celebrity lives are so interesting to some folks. Maybe it''s because their lives are so very different? I dunno. I myself have little to no interest in celebrity gossip. My own life with 2 teenagers is drama filled enough! I do have to say that when something is really really wrong I hit the TMZ site or the E channel. DH knows that when I am glued to the screen and TMZ is on it, something terrible must have happened. For example, DH came home from work a few months ago and I was intent upon the computer. Seeing what was on he asked what was wrong. I turned to him, started sobbing, and told him my grandma had a stroke. I guess it''s some kind of an escape when I''m super stressed.....Or maybe it''s the thought that, oh yeah, it could be worse...I could be Lindsay Lohan....
Sorry, but... LOL!
2.gif

Then there''s Amy Winehouse...
20.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 9:17:58 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Sorry, but... LOL!
2.gif

Then there''s Amy Winehouse...
20.gif
LOL! I think dear Amy is a bit worse off!
38.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 9:32:19 PM

I have no idea why celebrity lives are so interesting to some folks. Maybe it's because their lives are so very different? I dunno. I myself have little to no interest in celebrity gossip. My own life with 2 teenagers is drama filled enough! I do have to say that when something is really really wrong I hit the TMZ site or the E channel. DH knows that when I am glued to the screen and TMZ is on it, something terrible must have happened. For example, DH came home from work a few months ago and I was intent upon the computer. Seeing what was on he asked what was wrong. I turned to him, started sobbing, and told him my grandma had a stroke. I guess it's some kind of an escape when I'm super stressed.....Or maybe it's the thought that, oh yeah, it could be worse...I could be Lindsay Lohan....
Sorry, but... LOL!
2.gif

Then there's Amy Winehouse...
20.gif
38.gif
I guess this is what bothers me about celebrity obsession. When I see her, and others like her, in the "news" (because for some reason what used to be real news programs have, more often than not, become celebrity reporting shows) being photographed, uninvited, by the media, who are all trying to get her worst side, I think this poor woman and her family are clearly going through such a painful, difficult experience, which will likely result in her untimely death, if the emphazyma rumors are true, and it has become fodder for the public and then I am really disturbed. Because it seems that the public at large views her, and others like her, as a caricature of a human who exists for the purposes of our scrutinization, as opposed to seeing a real person, with real problems.

We judge people, I understand that (I do it myself, more often than I should, so please don't take this as my standing on a pedestal), and people who choose celebrity may open themselves up to that judgement, but when I think of the people behind the latest tragic story that everyone is focused on for five minutes until a newer one comes along, and I can't help but be bothered by it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 10:23:35 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Date: 7/28/2008 9:32:19 PM
I have no idea why celebrity lives are so interesting to some folks. Maybe it's because their lives are so very different? I dunno. I myself have little to no interest in celebrity gossip. My own life with 2 teenagers is drama filled enough! I do have to say that when something is really really wrong I hit the TMZ site or the E channel. DH knows that when I am glued to the screen and TMZ is on it, something terrible must have happened. For example, DH came home from work a few months ago and I was intent upon the computer. Seeing what was on he asked what was wrong. I turned to him, started sobbing, and told him my grandma had a stroke. I guess it's some kind of an escape when I'm super stressed.....Or maybe it's the thought that, oh yeah, it could be worse...I could be Lindsay Lohan....
Sorry, but... LOL!
2.gif

Then there's Amy Winehouse...
20.gif
38.gif
I guess this is what bothers me about celebrity obsession. When I see her, and others like her, in the 'news' (because for some reason what used to be real news programs have, more often than not, become celebrity reporting shows) being photographed, uninvited, by the media, who are all trying to get her worst side, I think this poor woman and her family are clearly going through such a painful, difficult experience, which will likely result in her untimely death, if the emphazyma rumors are true, and it has become fodder for the public and then I am really disturbed. Because it seems that the public at large views her, and others like her, as a caricature of a human who exists for the purposes of our scrutinization, as opposed to seeing a real person, with real problems.

We judge people, I understand that (I do it myself, more often than I should, so please don't take this as my standing on a pedestal), and people who choose celebrity may open themselves up to that judgement, but when I think of the people behind the latest tragic story that everyone is focused on for five minutes until a newer one comes along, and I can't help but be bothered by it.

I see what you're saying Kimberly, and I suppose that I do feel for those celebrities whose pain is splattered all over the media for the public to see and judge.

HOWEVER, I have to say that the thing that MOST bothers me about the celebrity obsession and attention is that I see my students idolizing these people who need help, and reckless celebrity behavior becomes acceptable in their eyes. I know I should probably care more about these unfortunate celebs too, but I have to say that I advocate for (and care very much about) my students, instead.

Example: When a student gets pregnant (they're in HS) their friends will say things like "such-and-such celebrity has two kids and isn't even married, so what's the big deal?"

I KNOW that parental guidance is far more important than celebrity role-modeling, but the sad truth is that many of our kids look up to these celebs more than their own parents.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Haven.

It''s what I wanted to say, but Haven said it better. It''s sad that youth today has had to grow up in the celebrity gossip obsessed culture. Really, really sad. It''s not that it''s so much different than in the old days.

I used to love watching Sonny and Cher and my Mom loved Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. There has always been a fixation with and facination of celebrity because they entertain us and entertainment is part of life. It enrichens one''s life. Well, it used to anyway.

But that is not what the media circus has become. it has became a sensationalistic, predatory, scandal glorifying parasite. <-----------ohhhhhh, that sounded bitter.
17.gif

News? Not really. We don''t get much real news anymore. It''s very sad.

Thank you Haven, for caring so much about your students.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Haven and Miracles, I absolutely agree with that aspect of it as well. I am lucky to be surrounded by friends who parent their children in a way that doesn''t allow for what you''re saying to be the case. My thoughts were perpetuated by my experience in the DMV yesterday, I saw at least 5 women over the age of 30 reading gossip mags while waiting for their number to be called (the younger than 30 crowd were all busy text messaging). Maybe I''m just an old fuddy duddy.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing else to do while waiting at the DMV. I dont see the big deal reading rag mags even if I dont buy them myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results