shape
carat
color
clarity

CBD oil for dogs

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with CBD oil for dogs? One of my babies has arthritis in her spine and she’s been on pain medication for a while. Galliprant for years but gabapentin for only a couple of months. They seem to do the job but I also don’t like that I’m pumping her full of medicines that have horrible side effects. I’ve always wanted to try CBD but it’s hard to figure out which brand is legitimate and what dosage I should be starting her on. The internet is just chock full of too much information and I’m not sure where to turn. My vet is an idiot so there’s no information there.

I was looking into this brand but again have no idea if it’s good or not since so many companies pay third parties to give them good reviews. https://www.cbdmd.com/cbd-for-pets/cbd-oil-tinctures-for-pets

So, has anybody had any experience with their dogs? Thanks in advance!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I do. I use a brand called Pet Releaf. It was rated number one last year in one of the vet journals I subscribe to. The hemp is organic, grown and processed in the US with no weird ingredients.

Last year my Lola had knee surgery and she spent the night crying in pain, and I was frazzled staying up with her, helplessly trying to calm her. The meds she was given did NOT work. I was waiting at the door of my local Feed store to buy Pet Releaf when they opened and after I double-dosed her, she was out like a light for the rest of the day. I was able to keep her pain-free for the duration with this stuff. It also helps with anxiety so I used it on the 4th and knocked out all the dogs.

Even though my dogs are all small, I use the 700 mg because I can give them less of it, making it more cost effective. I highly recommend this brand.

20200715_153739.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used Simply CBD for our cat we just lost. This is the one recommended by the pet food store I shop at. They have a more concentrated one for the dogs and a less concentrated for the cats (or small dogs).

Q

Queenie60

I use a brand name - Blossom CBD oil for pets. I get this at Petfood Express. I have been giving this to my 14 year old Maltese for about 2 years to help with his arthritis. Works very well as he responds negatively to pharmaceuticals.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I’m glad that I have some people I know that tells me that it works. My baby is 13 years old and along with the arthritis, she has dementia. I just really want to make the last moments of her life comfortable.

Q

Queenie60

Thanks guys! I’m glad that I have some people I know that tells me that it works. My baby is 13 years old and along with the arthritis, she has dementia. I just really want to make the last moments of her life comfortable.
This is the same with my 14 year old little guy. He has arthritis and dementia and the CBD helps to comfort him.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
This is the same with my 14 year old little guy. He has arthritis and dementia and the CBD helps to comfort him.

Poor guy! How has he been with the dementia? Does he sleep through the night? I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in about 3 months. I probably get about 2 hours a night and that’s not even consecutively. It’s starting to take a toll...Who am I kidding, it’s been taking a toll. But, I love her so I wake up and let her pace around outside as long as she wants until she wants to come back in and do it all over again.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Poor guy! How has he been with the dementia? Does he sleep through the night? I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in about 3 months. I probably get about 2 hours a night and that’s not even consecutively. It’s starting to take a toll...Who am I kidding, it’s been taking a toll. But, I love her so I wake up and let her pace around outside as long as she wants until she wants to come back in and do it all over again.

I really do think the CBD will help your baby, and you, sleep through the night. That's great that you coddle her, but I'm sure it's frustrating not to be able to sleep properly, especially in these turbulent times.

kv3o3

Rough_Rock
My dog was diagnosed with mast cell cancer when she was only 7 months old. I used a brand called Canna Companion. They have capsules or tinctures and in a variety of doses, depending on the size and weight of the animal.
It really helped soothe and calm her down. And there weren't any noticeable side effects. Only downside was that it was expensive. So I had to stop buying it, since I was already spending money on chemo and other supplements to keep her alive.
She is now almost 3 years old and is doing very well.

Cute Chimmy avatar, by the way. ;)2

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
My dog was diagnosed with mast cell cancer when she was only 7 months old. I used a brand called Canna Companion. They have capsules or tinctures and in a variety of doses, depending on the size and weight of the animal.
It really helped soothe and calm her down. And there weren't any noticeable side effects. Only downside was that it was expensive. So I had to stop buying it, since I was already spending money on chemo and other supplements to keep her alive.

A boxer, by any chance?

It will be nice when there are finally some regulations for CBD, and standards set.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I really do think the CBD will help your baby, and you, sleep through the night. That's great that you coddle her, but I'm sure it's frustrating not to be able to sleep properly, especially in these turbulent times.
It’s been a struggle but I’m sure she’s struggling too. So, does CBD oil just relax them or do they make them drowsy? How does it make the pain go away? I usually do so much research before buying something but information for dogs is so limited.

Last edited:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock

Oh your poor baby! I’m so glad that she’s making it! Three years old! Good for her! So is she cancer free now? Lucky for her to have a parent like you!

Hehe, you notice my chimmy, yes? He’s a baby. :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: (Imagine these are purple hearts...)

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
It’s been a struggle but I’m sure she’s struggling too. So, does CBD oil just relax them or do they make them drowsy? How does it make the pain go away? I usually do so much research before buying something but information for dogs is so limited.
I'm not SUPER versed in CBD products, and was actually very skeptical of them at first since the products that came out when it became "legal" in CA were nothing more than a waste of money. But things have come along. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of research going on as it relates to pets, from what I gather. However, it seems that much like in humans, cannabidiol affects serotinin and other receptors. Much of this data is over my head, but you can read it here.

In my experience, and from what I've read, yes, it does relax them. If you give them enough of it it will put them to sleep. That's the purpose I've used it for, doggy xanax,. When Lola had surgery, neither the Tramadol nor the Gabapentin worked for her.....but the CBD DID. I will also add that I've noticed that the amount of anxiety cannot be discounted. I've had special cases of dogs coming through that no amount of CBD calms them down....they're just SUPER worked up. It doesn't sound to me like your baby is THAT anxious. I think she is just experiencing the same geriatric decline that happens to humans, a part of which is needing less sleep (at odd times).

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend’s dog had terrible arthritis. She would get her CBD from a dispensary. She started with a 20:1 mix (CBD:thc.). As his pain worsened, she increased the amount of THC. It worked for him. If you go that route, make sure you use the mix made for pets or make sure it is unflavored. The people at the dispensary can help and usually have contact free delivery.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't expect CBD oil to help with the pain. It would most likely just relax him, which is also a virtue of course.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't expect CBD oil to help with the pain. It would most likely just relax him, which is also a virtue of course.

My understanding is that animal studies have suggested that CBD has pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties, but these effects have not been validated in quality studies in humans. It worked for my Lola!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I get from my dispensary is what I normally use on the dog, however its not coming from hemp. Not a cheap product, only give to her when other methods to manage her anxiety are not working. she mellows right out after 40 minutes or so. (I squirt it right in her mouth from the dropper)

Its raw without flavor, so I don't worry about if she's getting something she should not.

I've heard good things about this company though https://cbdforthepeople.com/ Its not cheap but seems to get good reviews from those who've tried it.

will let you guys know once received.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I gave our wee terriers CBD oil made from hemp.

My understanding from our vet (and subsequent online research) is that dogs (and cats) are extremely sensitive to THC and it can take much longer for them to metabolize it. They can be "poisoned" by THC if they consume too much.

The reason I started CBD with one of our elder terriers was for pain from arthritis. Within a week he was running and playing like a young dog! Our female didn't have any pain issues that I could readily see but she seemed anxious. I tried CBD with her but it didn't seem to have any effect. I increased her dosage but there wasn't a noticeable difference in her restlessness. To be fair, her restlessness may have been unrelated to anxiousness.

Because of the excellent results with our male dog, I decided to try CBD oil for a sore shoulder. I was completely amazed that even without THC, within a week my shoulder had really improved, such that I could sleep right through the night. For many months prior, if I moved a certain way, whether in waking hours or the night, sharp pain would waken me. I took the CBD oil for maybe six weeks and when the pain was gone, I stopped taking it. The pain has never returned.

Xboct

Rough_Rock
Trade
Actually, my vet advised to try ordering kratom, he did also explain what is kratom and how I need to use it to relieve all those pains my sweetie feels. He said that this source is the most trustworthy from the all online sources where it is possible to order kratom. As far as I am concerned, kratom is used for preventing and relieving pains and reducing anxiety, my mother used to consume kratom when her mother passed away, it was really hard time for my mommy, kratom practically saved her mental health. So, I believe that even for dogs in smaller dosage it would be great to try!

M

maru8888777

Our vet says that Ellevet is the only brand they can recommend because of concerns over quality control and potential pesticides. They also don't know if it interacts with other medicines. That said, we've had really good results with human grade CBD oil at minimal doses for joint pain in our dog.

BarbraIss

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow, I didn't realize anyone but me was giving their dog CBD oils. I thought it was wrong, and I was honestly ashamed to admit it. I had a pug, and he had arterial and spinal problems due to being overweight. I myself have been using CBD oils for a long time now because I have severe knee pain due to my injury from my youth. It was painful to watch my dog suffering day after day, so I put a few drops in his food, at first no effect, then I ordered a new oil from https://www.tillmanstranquils.com/product-category/cbd-flower/ and increased the dose and after a few days my dog was running for the first time in years.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results